cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
MESSAGES->author
BLAST! It's Hampshire
Grockle (IP Logged)
30 July, 2018 22:52
On we go to Wednesday at home. Let's hope the weather calms down a little and gives us a dry evening.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 11:34 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Re: BLAST! It's Hampshire
Grockle (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 11:42
For those going... don't forget the 4:30 start.

(Sm72)

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 13:58
Can’t see many ,if any,changes to the starting eleven tomorrow.Maybe Cove for Jove.Maybe Banton will be added to the squad.Same again please !!!!

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 14:05
Ahead of the Hampshire match and cognisant of the fact that Lewis Gregory has lost 10 tosses out of 11 here is a collation of some stats I have put in my last couple of match reports (and some additional ones). I looked at the stats in the light of some discussions on here and in one cricinfo article I read which suggested the toss is all important in T20. The cricinfo article suggested two thirds of captains who win the toss in the Vitality Blast insert the opposition (I haven't checked that because I have no reason to think it would be anything other than accurate.)

The "stats" I have come up with suggest the reality is rather different than the assumptions and that it may not make much difference to Somerset's prospects if Lewis Gregory goes on losing the toss. In fact it might, on balance, help at the margins.

Here goes.

Vitality Blast 2018 to date:

Sides who win the toss and field win 41% of the time and lose 59% of the time.

Sides who win the toss and bat win 50% of the time... and lose 50% of the time.

Sides who win the toss win 44% of the time and lose 56% of the time.

Irrespective of the toss the home side wins 44% of the time and loses 56% of the time.

Now this is very basic and a professional statistician would shudder at the thought of anyone drawing firm conclusions from it. They might though say that the assumptions that have taken hold about the impact of the toss in T20, in this competition at least, need to be reviewed.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 15:49
I didn't really buy the whole 'whoever bats second will win, line.'

It's a little surprising that home sides lost on the majority of occasions, though.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 16:04
As I have always suspected, it's mostly hit and miss whether to win or lose, a solid performance guarantees nothing.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 20:49
Glamorgan would do us a great favour if they could beat Surrey tonight, but it's going to require some splended middle-order batting.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 21:24
Well done, Glamorgan, an outstanding win that keeps Surrey below us.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 21:27
Surrey beat Somerset, Somerset beat Glamorgan, Glamorgan beat Surrey.

Funny old game. Surrey must view a visit by Glamorgan as we do when Kent show up on the doorstep.

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 21:35
Meschede did most of the damage, 43 off 19 balls with five 6's, after two early wickets put them on the back foot.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 21:51
First I've heard of Craig for a while but good to hear.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 21:56
Best things about the Glamorgan win was the manner in which the three Sky TV commentators - Rob Key, Mel Jones and Mark Butcher - had to suddenly alter their tune half way through the Glamorgan knock.

Before before and during the Surrey innings, they had lauded the Surrey hitters to the sky (so to speak), especially Aaron Finch, whom Jones seemed to view as the greatest Australian batsman since Bradman. They hardly even mentioned the opposition until suddenly Craig Meschede (once of this parish) hit three sixes in a row.

All of a sudden,they were actually praising Glamorgan players - I have a feeling the Sky director back in the studio had been receiving complaints and sent out instructions to this effect.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 22:03
Hilarious. There's nothing that mafia like more than to drool over Surrey.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 22:18
Tom Banton, back from his successful leadership of England Under-19s,is added to the Somerset squad for tomorrow. The other 13 players remain the same.

Hampshire have named a 15-strong squad, including Taunton-born and educated slow left-armer Jake Lintott,who has played for Somerset Seconds. South African quickie Kyle Abbott, who has not played since injuring himself in the championship match at Taunton back in May, is also named.

Squad: Munro, Wood, Northeast, Berg, Vince, Alsop, Edwards, Lintott, McManus, Rossouw, Weatherley, Stevenson, Dawson, Abbott, ur Rehman.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 22:22
Craig Meschede (once of this parish) hit three sixes in a row - and who was that off our friend Mr Batty from his first three balls, he did get him with his fourth ball.

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 22:39
I’m sure Abbott has played since May but his bowling has been dire and has been left out of most recent matches

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:10
Further to all the "Toss" debate and statistics above, we've lost the toss again, and will bat first.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:19
Quite busy for 4 on a Wednesday. Lots of kids in for one of the children initiatives (Cricket All Stars) with parents I assume. Cloudy but it's high and the hills are clear.

Myburgh, Davies, Trego, Hildreth, Anderson, Abell, Gregory, RvdM. Taylor, Overton J, Waller

Would be happier if we were chasing.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2018 16:21 by Grockle.

hantssabre
hantssabre (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:25
No worries. Hampshire will find a way to lose this match

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:31
Well Davies won't be the catalyst!

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:33
Or Pete Trego for that matter

(Sm72)

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:36
Well, that's a good start!

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:41
And the run chase idiocy continues. Lost 2 in the first over so look to smash the daylights out of the ball over 3.

Maybe Tom Banton might have a more sensible head on his shoulder? Or let Hildreth and Abell bat first and keep their heads and let the sloggers come in later!!

17 for 3 is an awful way to start a T20 game!

(Sm72)

rodders12
rodders (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:50
Cannot argue with a word of your post Grockle - are they illiterate simpletons or do they suffer a rush of blood - coaches should be able to address such idiocy !

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 17:29
It's this 'powerplay' mentality. Stats suggest our front 2 can't do it. So either alter the batting order or think of another way of getting there.

We do not get into games until we are 3 or 4 down when James, Tom A and Corey arrive at the crease by which time we are 6 to 8 overs down and behind the rate.

It seems obvious to most people here, but not to the side it seems. I'm not so sure I have the same faith as you Ron on the coaches power once the players cross the rope. If they won't do the things on the pitch then keep them off it until they learn and operate the plan.

If the coach has dealt with this, the message does not seem to have got through to the front 3

Corey has just holed out 137 for 5 and in comes Gregory with 4 and a half to go.

50 would be good!!

(Sm72)

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 17:34
What a game Wood is having, hope one of ours can do similar

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 17:34
Good innings from James 57 off 44 but it would have been nice for him to stay

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 17:43
Lewis 24 off 8 - good stuff but not enough.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 17:50
RvdM gets us back into this with 31 off 13 - so useful in this side!

197 the guys at the end of the innings do what should be done in the first 6!!

Hampshire need 198 and we are still in this one for the moment.

(Sm72)

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 17:57
Well the team thrashed down towards the tail again and got a par score. Let's see how the bowlers do.

My money is on the stats and a home win.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net