cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
cricketjerry-mouse
BLAST! Sussex Seaside Sunday
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 09:01
Left-arm quickie Tymal Mills, who was rested by Sussex on Thursday when they won by 12 runs at Lord`s, is expected to return for tomorrow`s match with Somerset at Hove.

England Under-19s batter Delray Rawlins, who replaced him against Middlesex and scored 49 on 20/20 debut, may retain his place as Sussex`s batting has tended to be uneven this season.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 09:21 by Grockle.

Bagpuss
Re: Sussex Seaside Sunday
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 09:46
Interesting contest between a side whose strength is bowling (Sussex) against a side whose strength is probably batting (Somerset)

Hopefully the #blackbird will prevail over #goodoldsussexbythesea

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 10:25
Right at the moment, we have a mix of high-speed (Jerome and Jamie) and spin (VDM, Max)... in the two most recent games, I'd argue that actually it's our bowling that has made the difference (albeit it was certainly indifferent, at best, earlier in the tournament).

Whisper it quietly but we *might* be peaking at the right time, bowling wise.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 11:25
I am very confused.

We were told on here at the start of the campaign we had no chance, yet we seem to have won 6 out of 9 and only actually lost 1 full T20 match.

So easy to criticise before or after a loss and then totally change tack and jump on board when things start going well.

Odd too how the mass pessimism of Jamie seems to have ceased nearly.
Those of us who have seen enough know how much of a weapon he is to us, more in red ball but equally as a wicket taker in T20. Great to see him fully fit & flying in bowling rockets, awesome sight these past few weeks to shut a few right up!

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 11:36
WSM - Don't be confused, just be grateful you aren't getting dizzy with the constant changes of direction.

We seem to have got a solid plan on how to play T20 now, it'll be interesting to see if we can hold it together against the stronger teams over the last few games.

3 defeats and it'll be down as an average / indifferent campaign.

cricketjerry-mouse
04 August, 2018 13:10
Somerset have added Craig Overton and Josh Davey to the 11 who beat Essex by 10 wickets, and are certain to include Tom Banton again as he is the only wicket-keeper named.

Sussex name the same 14 who were on duty at Lord`s on Thursday: Wright (c), Archer, Beer, Briggs, Bruce, Burgess, Evans, Jordan, Rashid Khan, Mills, Rawlins, Robinson, Salt and Wiese.`

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 14:40
I still want to see our plan when our in form players meet another side of in form players.

Our bowling is in much better shape and our batting certainly came to the game against a poor Essex but in a close game are we flexible enough in our game plan to work in a way to win a game?

Not sure I've seen that yet but I have a lot more hope that we might have the side to do it.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 14:56
Confidence is certainly on the up after that last two games, so the scene is set for what could be a very interesting couple of weeks.

Let's hope in particular that Jamie can take his present momentum into the latter part of the season when we get back to the Championship.

Grizzzly

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 15:51
I am going to be out of contact for a while, though I fully expect to be at the Abell Associates County Ground on Sunday 19th August and the rest of that match. I trust somebody responsible among us will ensure that we retain our momentum for the rest of the T20 campaign.

It seems a good time to do some seasonal stocktaking and the figures appear like this:

Played 25
Won 14
Lost 7
Drawn 3
Abandoned 1

That looks pretty good to me, with only the 50-over campaign proving disappointing.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 17:46
Quote:
cricketjerry-mouse
Sussex name the same 14 who were on duty at Lord`s on Thursday: Wright (c), Archer, Beer, Briggs, Bruce, Burgess, Evans, Jordan, Rashid Khan, Mills, Rawlins, Robinson, Salt and Wiese.`

How can Burgess not be playing for Somerset?

Loyal of Lhasa
Re: BLAST! Sussex Seaside Sunday
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 18:54
... for the same reason that Evans is not playing for Glamorgan.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 19:20
Ah, that explains it.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 19:49
Yes, obviously that Godfrey Evans played for Glamorgan, LoL.

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 20:57
[sussexcricket.co.uk]

£3.99 for a live feed from Sussex tomorrow.

Not clear if that is just the streaming pictures or if it also includes synchronised BBC commentary.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 08:43
Shape of things to come.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 09:24
Yes.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 09:50
Charging will discourage people from visiting their website, I am not sure their advertisers will like that.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 10:06
Depends how good the service is. Cheaper than a day on NOW TV or SKy but production values might be a bit dubious presently.

Maybe it would have been better to allow 30 minutes free and then a charge to continue so you could at least see what you were buying.

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 11:37
Predictable really, it must cost the clubs a tidy sum to provide the service, and unless the whole system was funded centrally by the ECB as a way to promote the game, many of the struggling clubs could not afford to finance the service.
I do not think the amount charged is an excessive amount, less than two cups of coffee.

Time will tell if the system will get developed, I.E more cameras, split screens, replays available etc.
Various ways the clubs could exploit the package, an annual internet access only maybe for those who cannot get to the matches for various reasons, it opens up a whole new marketing tool.

Sussex are not currently charging members, but members do have to Log in to get access, unlike the current Somerset set up, but much like posting on Grockle.

Not sure how many tune into the Somerset stream but.......
Nice little earner say 1000 x £4.00 x 45 days cricket £180,000.00 cannot be bad.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 12:07
Static cameras don't really incur extra costs because in a lot of cases they already exist for other reasons but the moment you increase the view and number of cameras then you need editors and producers and camera/drone operators (drone technology has been discussed in this context). I know Ben has been discussing how to improve the Somerset view and at some time you have to get the money back.

I personally don't have any problem with it as long as you see what you are getting first and the costs aren't prohibitive... I'm not sure that will be the case though, especially if central interest start to get involved.

(Sm72)

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 13:15
Lewis has actually won a toss-bowling first

Roger ivanhoe
05 August, 2018 13:29
no sound on live stream.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 13:35
Got it on BBC Somerset on the radio

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 16:07
Close finish.... RvdM the man we are relying on.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 16:13
9 to win with Jamie putting us in front

Good running from the boyz and 5 off the final over with Jordan bowling.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
05 August, 2018 16:17
Well done RvdM !

Grizzzly

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
RvdM ties...

4 balls left

RvdM wins the game

THIS is the kind of win. Good opposition and we kept it together

(Sm72)

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
We have a never give up Somerset.

Well done on a very good win.

Roger ivanhoe
05 August, 2018 16:23
Well done to the lads, good win, keep the momentum going against Hampshire on Wednesday.

cricketjerry-mouse
05 August, 2018 16:28
Win by 10 wickets with umpteen overs left against Essex. Win by three wickets with just three balls left at Sussex.

Now, that is what I call depth in batting.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net