cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Grizzzly
Heads up at Headingly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 21:01
Back to the really important stuff on Wednesday.

The Twittersphere rumours suggest we may announce the signing of Jack Brooks tomorrow. Hopefully he won’t turn in a stellar performance against us to show us how good he is.

I can foresee a new SCC headband appearing soon at the Club shop !

Grizzzly

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 14:26 by Grockle.

AGod
Re: Heads up at Headingly
AGod (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 22:13
I suspect a 'tactical injury,' will be developed so that he doesn't play against us (if we really are signing him).

Jordan Clark is moving from Lancs to Surrey and, lo and behold, he was 'injured,' and could not play against his new employers at the Oval the other day... only to magically recover only a couple of days later...

Meantime, as somebody suggested to me earlier, maybe Lewis's batting in this year's T20 might net him an IPL deal? If so, then we'll need an extra red ball bowler, so Brooks could fit the bill!

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 22:35
Yorkshire have already indicated that they will be `resting` Jack Brooks and Tim Bresnan at Headingley on Wednesday. They say both picked up minor niggles during Worcestershire`s mammoth 500-plus innings at Scarborough last week.

Captain Steve Patterson (groin) and Ben Coad (side strain) are still injured, so their pace bowling will look a tad thin, especially as Liam Plunkett won`t play again this season. They will, however,include Matt Pillans, on loan from Surrey before joining permanently next season.

This will be Kane Williamson`s last match before returning to New Zealand, while also on the batting side Yorkshire are expected to recall Jack Leaning.

With overcast conditions expected, Somerset may go with just one spinner, and bringing in Craig Overton. On the other hand, they may rest Lewis Gregory and replace him with Craig O.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 22:50
Second scenario is pretty likely CJM

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 22:59
Somerset will be riding high after today's superb perforamce.

On the contrary Yorkshire are in free fall: their batting is not up to much and the fast bowlers weakened as noted above. I suppose the goundstaff at Headingley will need to produce a spin friendly wicket... oh.

Bat first and Jack them in the final innings.

Given that Surrey will probably beat Notts this week, our points deficit from them is likely to look the same going into September.

So a tremendous few weeks in prospect and maybe the need to rotate some players?

My only concern is for Farmer White's keyboard with all this excitement

Sloop John B
Sloop John B (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 08:32
Bagpuss on Twitter confirms Jack Brooks signing via Yorkie Radio. Not playing against us either...

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 10:08
If they can't play Coad or Patterson and they've opted not to play Bressie or Jack Brooks then who, pray, will Yorkshire be bowling against us? I assume Liam Plunkett will not be playing either?

Quite the conundrum for Yorkshire in terms of preparing a pitch.. maybe they'll attempt to produce a shirt front and hope for a draw?

If they produce something that is lively for pace/seam, then they will be sent in on it. Producing something that would turn would be insane on their part.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 10:55
Fisher. Willey. Pillans (who has arrived on loan having been signed from Surrey). Poysden (ditto, but Warwickshire).

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 11:05
Crikey. We must, of course, retain our focus, but that looks an extremely inviting bowling line up for us to bat against, it really does.

I would expect both Pillans and Poysden to prove expensive. If it doesn't swing, then David Willey might well go for a few, too.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 11:08
I wouldn't underestimate Pillans. He may go for a few but he's tall, quick, swings it a bit and will be out to impress his new colleagues (and the Yorkshire members).

cricketjerry-mouse
28 August, 2018 11:21
Indian-born New Zealand opening bat Jeet Ravel, who is replacing Kane Williamson as Yorkshire`s overseas player after this week`s Somerset match, is playing at Taunton today.

He is opening the batting for Yorkshire Seconds in a three-day friendly with their Somerset counterparts.

Somerset are captained by Tim Rouse, and the good news is the return of Tim Groenewald after injury. He is 34, the same age as inward-coming Jack Brooks - so there should be no lack of pace bowling experience in the ranks next summer.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 11:29
Yorkshire have named Jack Brooks in their 14 man squad to play Somerset starting tomorrow!

Ballance
Brook
Brooks
Fisher
Kohler-Cadmore
Leaning
Lyth
Pillans
Poysden
Shaw
Tattersall (wk)
Wainman
Williamson
Willey (c)

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 11:48
Some pretty good batsmen in that line-up. I wonder if Bobstan and others have as much difficulty as I do with a Tattersall playing for Yorkshire. What would Cardus have said!

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Somerset LaLaLa
28 August, 2018 11:59
No Coad, Bresnan and Waite.

Then if Brooks doesn't play these absentees accounted for all 20 of the wickets taken at Taunton in April.

Pillans best FC bowling 6-67 and he's taken 10 wickets in a match once

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 12:24
He has a decent strike-rate but most of that will have been in SA and there are two tiers to the competition in FA, both of which are nominally first-class, but the lower of which is way below the standards of CC1. Tough to tell how much of the higher standard SA first-class stuff he has played, and how much of the lower standard.

Somerset LaLaLa
28 August, 2018 13:17
Have to look quite far down the bowling averages to see Leaning has taken 1 wicket, Poysden 4 and Lyth 3 this season.

Lyth not so great in the batting averages, didn't rate Brook (without the 's') and Ballance at Taunton either. Once Williamson/Tattersall have gone twice it will be game over

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 13:31
I recall the lunchtime 'variety' programme Workers' Playtime on the wireless (sic) about this time of year in 1951, when somebody sang a song about the South Africa test series. Two lines were:

We wouldn't have won the tests at all
Without Alec Bedser and Tattersall.

I don't think Tests encroach on popular culture these days. Ah well.

Yes, LoL, Tattersall should be a Lancashire off-break bowler, not a wk for Yorks. Roy was quite tall - in that sense rather like a more famous off spinner, Jim Laker.

cricketjerry-mouse
28 August, 2018 17:40
Somerset have named the same 14-man squad that was on duty for the Essex championship match. Craig Overton seems certain to play this time, either with Lewis Gregory rested or in place of Dom Bess as the conditions are forecast to be cloudy for all four days.

Squad: Abell, Azhar Ali, Bess, Byrom, Davey, Davies, Gregory, Hildreth, Leach, C. Overton, J.Overton, Trego, Trescothick and Waller.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 18:07
14 man squad. 13 really as Max somewhat unlikely!

For me Lewis & Dom will miss out.
Lewis needs a week off.
Dont see Headingley turning square.
The club are often cautious in the batting so i think they will see Trego as a safer option at 7 than Dom or Craig.

So Trego 7 Craig 8 Jamie 9 Jack 10 Josh 11

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 18:10
Lewis will need more than a week I think so we are in the same situation as Worcester. But with more faith in Josh.

I'd personally rather see Dom from a batting point of view and neither his or Pete's bowling should be required if things go to plan. Also Dom is the 'future' in that sense I suppose.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse
28 August, 2018 18:11
Tomorrow is the first day of championship cricket at Headingley since April 23.

Amazing! And all at the command of the ECB, headed by former Yorkshire chairman Colin Graves. You`ve got to luv him.

Flyboy
Flyboy (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 23:34
Looking forward to this. Also, I hope we pick our best bowling attack for this one - Gregory, the Overtons, Davey and Leach. I like Abell as a fifth seamer. It's a nice philosophy and we're seeing a lot more of it now.

Somerset LaLaLa
29 August, 2018 07:14
Will Brooks play for Yorkshire then, given both sides need to win. We haven't 'heard it here first'

nelliec
nelliec (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 08:11
Looking further ahead quickly it will be interesting to see what type of pitch we plum for against Lancashire. With them signing Keshav Maharaj, the SA spinner, and also having Parry and Parkinson ,do we back our spinners against theirs? For once I would probably leave a bit of grass on it.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 08:36
If Lancashire play Parry, Parkinson and Maharaj, I think the answer is I'd back our batsmen against theirs. Assuming they'll play a seamer or two as well, that would be some tail!

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 09:03
We should definitely back our spinners vs theirs.

With two wrist spinners, their bowlers are liable to be more expensive than ours, for one thing (that's if they play them both, of course).

If the game were to be a low-scoring one on a turning track then, all things being equal, I would back the team with finger-spinners (and by all things being equal, in this case, I mean if the finger and wrist spinners are of roughly equal quality - so not Omari Banks vs Mushy, for example).

If the track is generally flat, then I'd back the wrist spinners as a good wrist spinner will almost always extract turn from anything. But, bar the very best of them, they bowl too many four balls and the finger spinners will be plenty dangerous on a turning track, whilst bowling fewer four balls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2018 09:10 by AGod.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 09:05
Whisper it quietly (for it is forecast to clear), but the weather in South London this morning is DISMAL.

Dank, cold, entirely overcast and persistent light rain.

And there is no current sign of the forecast improvement in the weather...

Somerset LaLaLa
29 August, 2018 09:08
Lancs did really well at the Oval attempting to avoid the drop. They'll make it difficult for us at Taunton and I’d like to see Dom amongst the wickets this week. We almost have a full squad for the run-in, when is Tim back?

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 09:15
Tim is back, he is bowling in the friendly match being played at the CG against Yorkshire.

For those without internet access it is on Radio Five live Sports Extra.

Edit – For those who can't work it out, my first sentence was answering SLLL question about Tim.
My second sentence related to the match thread title starting today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2018 10:11 by Mike TA1.

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 09:40
The game is being live streamed but you have to register - Here

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net