cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

MESSAGES->author
Jack Brooks Signs
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 08:29
Press release from the club confirms the signing. I for one thought it had gone past as it had stopped being a point of conversations. So there's me wrong then

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2018 20:30 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Jack Brooks Signs
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 08:33
Here's the press release in full as Mike TA1 posted earlier on the new and old thread

Somerset Sign Jack Brooks

Somerset County Cricket Club are delighted to be able to announce that Jack Brooks will join the Club at the end of the season.

The fast bowler has signed a three-year contract for all formats of the game which will see him commit his future to Somerset until at least the end of the 2021 season.

After impressing for Surrey Second XI and Oxfordshire in the Minor Counties competition, Jack made his First Class debut for Northamptonshire in 2009 against the touring Australians. He made an immediate impression by taking two wickets in an over.

Since that day he has gone on to take over 400 wickets in 114 First Class matches with a best of six for 65 at an average of 27.52 with an impressive strike rate of 46.9.

He has also taken 37 List A wickets at an average of 34.48 with a best of three for 30 and 47 T20 wickets at an average of 27.27 with a best of five for 21.

Jack played a vital role in Yorkshire’s County Championship title win in 2014 by taking 68 wickets and was also integral to the County retaining the title the following year.

It is expected that he will arrive at the Cooper Associates County Ground in November in order to undertake a full winter training programme with Somerset.

Confirming the signing Somerset CCC Director of Cricket, Andy Hurry said: “We are delighted that we have secured a player of Jack’s proven quality, experience and character to add to one of the most exciting bowling attacks in the Country. It’s a great reflection of our ambition, and the progress that the Club has made, that a player of his quality sees his ambitions of winning silverware with Somerset CCC.

“Alongside his experience of winning silverware, which will add to our ability to achieve our aspirations of winning trophies, he is incredibly competitive, driven and will be a great fit in the changing room. I have no doubt he will become a big favourite with the Somerset membership”.

After agreeing to join Somerset, Jack said: “I’m extremely excited to be joining Somerset at a time when they are building a special team capable of challenging for trophies and I truly believe this Somerset team can create something special.

“When I met Andy Hurry, Jason Kerr, Tom Abell and Andrew Cornish I was impressed straightaway with their vision for the team and Club. Their togetherness and desire reminded me a lot of Yorkshire when I joined them.” Their togetherness and desire reminded me a lot of Yorkshire when I joined them.

“I look forward to continuing my cricketing journey and to the fresh challenges that await. My mum and her family are from Bath and I’ll be nearer to my family in Oxfordshire, so it feels a little bit like I’m coming home.

“Somerset have a fantastic reputation as a strong family club which I look forward to being a part of.”

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2018 08:40 by Grockle.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 08:44
Excellent (and modest) interview with Jack Brooks on the Yorkshire ccc website.

And as posters on their fans forum point out - he may be 34, but he is a young 34 and Ryan Siddebottom, his compatriot-in-arms in Yorkshire`s recent county championship successes, played until he was almost 40.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 08:51
Would he still be classed as a fast bowler or are we in the realms of 'medium/fast' or 'fast/medium'?

(Sm72)

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 09:04
He's never been classed as a fast bowler, Grockle.

He's a medium-fast swing bowler and he has always been that.

He bowls an *extremely* attacking length, by which I mean really full and giving the ball every chance to swing. Hence he has the sort of outstanding strike rate (46) which is almost always associated with an out and out fast bowler, and *not* a medium fast bowler.

That extremely full length brings a great strike-rate on the one hand, and a poor economy rate on the other, as he is often driven, when either he gets his length slightly wrong or the ball doesn't swing.

Andy, Jason and Tom will need to give thought to the balance of the red ball side when Jack plays. For example, we may not want Jack and Lewis (similar type of attacking length bowler) and Jamie Overton all in the same attack unless, perhaps, the track is also expected to turn so we have Leachy doing a lot of bowling to totally choke off one end.

I do not expect Jack Brooks to be a factor in white ball cricket, in spite of the fact that the official statement says "He's signed a contract to play all forms of the game."

Jack Brooks has certainly has his injury issues in the past. But, if he can stay fit for any length of time then he ought to prove a useful addition, especially for any game in which we expect there to be much in the way of swing about.

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 09:05
If his mum comes from Bath he's one of ours.I've always rated him

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 12:03
That's why I was asking AG. It seemed a strange comment in the press release.

I've never rated him much above 'occasionally pacey' and at 34 I hope he has created some 'nounce' in his bowling and is 'crafty' rather than fast.

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 14:00
He's undoubtedly a fine cricketer, possibly unlucky not to have been chosen for England at his peak. I don't find him a particularly appealing personality, but I used to feel much the same way about Steve Kirby and he fitted in all right.

I'm not quite sure how he would fit in to a full-strength Somerset XI (would we play him alongside Lewis and both Overtons, which would mean either leaving Dom out or batting him at 6?), but realistically we can expect the odd niggle among the pace attack - not to mention the possibility of Test calls - and it's good to have strength in depth. Welcome to Somerset, Jack.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 14:19
Yes, good signing and I suspect will do very well, even if a few feathers are ruffled aling the way.

As mentioned above, the challenge will be to keep everyone happy, as in the absece of injuries & England call ups, there will be some challenging selection dilemma's.

Would he play this week for instance & in place of whom ?

Grizzzly

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 14:22
He's still a Yorkshire player till the end of the season Grizz, and they've named him in the squad of 14 to face Somerset.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 15:51
I think Grizzzly's question is hypothetical and my answer would be "No".

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 15:51
I was hopeful that Somerset would gain the services of Jack Brooks when he decided to sign for Yorkshire in 2013.

5 years on, I still think he is worth a gamble though he is probably less effective than he was in 2013.

It was speculated on another thread that Somerset would have to release another fast - medium/ fast bowler to make room for him.

I do not agree on that point. I have always maintained that in order to stand a strong chance of winning the CC, a county must have 7 or 8 bowlers, who fall into that category, and are ready and experienced enough to step up immediately into the First eleven. This was always a stated must for Durham when they won a couple of County Championships in 2008 and 2009.

To date we have:-

Groenewald,
Gregory,
2 Overtons,
Davey,
Van Meekeren and
Brooks.

We will have injuries of course and a possible Test call, though I think the latter is unlikely next year. I have not included Trego because he doesn't play much red - ball stuff or the couple of young 'colts' who are lurking in the Seconds.

Welcome to Jack Brooks, but do not weaken the rest of the squad in order to justify his signing.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 16:42
We let Hose go to Warwickshire as soon as he had signed. Some said it was the right thing to do. Surely Yorkshire won’t pick Brroks to play against us.

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 16:58
Jack Brooks tweeted this earlier -

'Plenty of games left this year i’m not ready for goodbyes yet. Fully intend finishing my @YorkshireCCC career on a high. Keeping our Div 1 status & performing for the team is my only focus for now. Humbling to receive many nice messages so thank you but i ain’t done yet.'

I like his attitude.

Also interesting to see the response of the Yorkshire supporters today as well, I don't think I've seen a single bad comment from anyone which in these days of the keyboard warrior is quite unusual and likely testament to his popularity up there.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 17:03
I fear i am coming down with something as i fully agree Tom, almost!

There is no such thing as too many division 1 standard 1st team bowlers.

I fully expect us to have international call ups next summer, all 5 of our homegrown bowlers have a chance for me.

So adding Brooks to our mix can only help.

Competition is good, no bowler (not even Jamie!) should feel safe in the team. Rivalry just spurs everyone else on.

Welcome aboard Jack.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 17:36
Go to your GP first thing tomorrow, wsm.

If you "almost fully agree with me", then you must be "going down with something".

I wish you a speedy recovery.

(Sm141)

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 20:26
Just hypothetical musing Bagpuss.

It will certainly make for some interesting selection debates next year, but I like the signing and think he’ll do well for us.

Suspect he’ll also enjoy Tractor’s banter !

Grizzzly

Hants01
Hants01 (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 21:42
Jack Brooks is also a man of eminent good sense. He was quoted in 'The Times' in April as calling The Hundred competition 'ridiculous' and saying most players weren't interested in it.

At a time when counties' bowling resources are going to be increasingly stretched because of this ludicrous competition and with so many young bowlers breaking down (they don't seem to need to be over-bowled, they can't make even the odd appearance) this move by Somerset strikes me as a shrewd move. It continues the tradition of Somerset signing older players and prising a few years from them, think Cartwright and Close onwards.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 06:37
Indeed Hants01. I'm not sure whether Bill Alley counts in this group. He does on grounds of age when arriving, but he gave rather more than a few seasons!

More recently I suppose another former Yorkshire player, Tango, counts.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 09:29
... and I think Willoughby and Thomas also belong to that distinguished club.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 09:47
Willoughby is said to be hanging up his cricket boots this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/08/2018 15:00 by Roger ivanhoe.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 12:58
Charl Willoughby seems to have played for Lashings in almost all of their matches this season.

BristolRob
RadstockRob (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 19:29
The sort of player Matt Maynard would sign,

What players like Ben Green and Olly Sale think heavan knows.

Brooks is an over rated attention seeker.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 05:47
Well, if Green and Sale were actually taking wickets at second eleven level, then maybe they'd have a point, RR?

Green seems to have potential as a batsman only these days.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 08:45
Ben didn't impress particularly on the bowling front on his first team appearance this season. So Brooks' appearance increases the competition if these younger guys want to play for Somerset.

SCCC say they sign where they believe quality will be improved or there are gaps. If there are no gaps and the quality is there then the up and coming bowlers simply have to prove it.

(Sm72)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net