cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
Somerset LaLaLa
Lanks-Up Cider Style – a tall order? The only way…
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 10:07
The Overtwins had their pudding at struggling Yorkshire, after an exceptional performance from Lewis Gregory, making it 3 wins in a row.

Lancashire are also on a roll, coming 6 runs short of beating Surrey recently.

Taunton will be the hotpot next week since we must not let our campaign stew.

However, there is another side in this relationship. Essex play Surrey (twice), a whipping of the leaders would be just the cream

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 12:47 by Grockle.

Bagpuss
Re: Lanks-Up Cider Style – a tall order? The only way…
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 11:10
Liam Livingstone made 214 off about 125 balls in his comeback match following recovery from a broken thumb. Having put out a plea on Twitter to find a club side with a vacancy to play him, Cheadle offers him a game. He plays for the North Staffs& South Cheshire side again today in a cup final.

Now wondering if it was my retweet that results in all this. If so, my apologies already for next week!

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 18:22
Lancashire coach Glen Chapple has said they are virtually certain to play two spinners at Taunton on Tuesday - new overseas signing South African Test left-armer Keshav Maharaj and leggie Matt Parkinson, twin brother of Leicestershire`s Callum Parkinson.

Whether or not Somerset are preparing a spinners wicket should become clear if Dom Bess is able to squeeze into what was an outstandingly successful bowling line-up at Headingley.

Lancashire are still in a perilous position, despite their backs-to-the-wall victory over Worcestershire at Southport. They are only two points above 7th place and have played a game more than relegation rivals Hampshire, Yorkshire and Worcestershire. Their last three matches are all away.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 19:20
Don't forget 10.30 start.

Somerset LaLaLa
02 September, 2018 19:36
According to Ovalworld, Surrey haven't lost a championship game at Chelmsford for 28 years

[www.ovalworld-online.com]

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
02 September, 2018 20:08
Could be fake news.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 02:08
However, in the 28 years since Essex last beat Surrey at Chelmsford in 1990, Surrey have only been victorious at the same ground on two occasions, in 2003 and in 2011.

In between there has not been 26 draws. For several of the intervening years Essex and Surrey were in different divisions of the County Championship. Prior to 2000, when the championship was split, counties played each other home or away, alternating each year. And Surrey have played Essex at Colchester a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 08:33 by Bagpuss.

cricketharris
cricketharris (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 08:26
What a great example of spin by Surrey.
Thanks, as ever, to Bagpuss for clarifaction.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 10:33
Lovely word, "clarifaction" - it says all that needs to be said, in an entirely clarifactory way. I like it.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 11:01
Oh, and when in a couple of weeks Ovalworld proudly declares Essex have not won at the Oval since 2003, they probably will neglect to mention Surrey haven't beaten Essex at the Oval since 1999.

Somerset LaLaLa
03 September, 2018 11:44
You ought to tell them the world is not oval either

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 12:28
Need to tell the Times that about the cricket world. Easy stories when you don't have to get out of bed early and travel anywhere.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse
03 September, 2018 15:54
Somerset have added three spinners - Dom Bess, Roelof van der Merwe, and Max Waller - plus Ben Green, who scored a double century opening for the Seconds against Yorkshire Seconds last week, to a 15-man squad for tomorrow.

Lancashire captain Liam Livingstone returns from a broken thumb, but all-rounder Jordan Clark, who is joining Surrey next season, is out with a tight hamstring and Shiv Chanderpaul, Rob Jones and Haseed Hameed are also missing.

Lancashire squad: Bailey, Bohannon, Brown, Croft, Davies, Guest, Lamb, Hurt, Lester, Livingstone, Maharaj, Onions, Parkinson, Vilas.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 16:13
Haseeb Hameed is averaging under ten for Lancashire in ten championship matches this season.

Astonishing that a couple of years ago he was supposed to be England's opener for the next fifteen years.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 16:16
Max will of course be 12th man.

Virtually impossible to see young Ben making his way into the XI so presumably he's just being given a message of encouragement (unless there are fitness doubts about one of the quicks, and even then Dom would surely come in instead).

Chanderpaul missing is welcome news, given his extraordinary record of doing the worst possible thing for Somerset even if it was totally out of character (e.g. giving his wicket away cheaply, displaying tactical awareness when batting with the tail, or getting run out when he'd normally have made sure it was the other chap who went). Hameed on recent form is no great loss for Lancs - I was impressed with that young man, I hope we see him back to his best soon and scoring lots of runs in Div 2.

I would like to see Dom in our side, but it's quite hard to see who you could drop right now.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 16:20
Green opens. Eddie dropped.

cricketjerry-mouse
03 September, 2018 18:43
Should WSM be right - and it is surely hard on Eddie Byrom if he is - the it would make it easier to rest one of the quickies and squeeze Dom Bess in that way.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 19:03
Wsm is right.
Jason Kerr has said it in the local press.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 19:08
Article here...

Somerset Gazette

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 19:09 by Scrumper.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 19:14
A bold decision.

It's a pretty pressurised situation into which to come, but hopefully it will be a case of 'cometh the hour, cometh the man' for Ben.

Grizzzly

Somerset LaLaLa
03 September, 2018 19:38
Spotted this at the end of the article:

for free entry to any day's play, pick up a copy of this week's County Gazette and claim your voucher on page 80

Cleavo
Cleavo (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 20:34
Ben Green deserves his opportunity having scored big runs in 2nds. He has opened regularly in 2nd XI cricket this season too plus gives us an extra seam bowling option. The purpose in having a 2nd team is to give opportunities and reward those players who put in consistent performances.

Tough on Byrom who as an opener more often than not has helped team see off the new ball, but not gone on to get that substantial score to cement his place in the side unfortunately.

The make up of our bowling attack tomorrow will be interesting. Which seamer will be left out to accommodate Bess if we go down the route of playing two spinners?

I’d imagine they may give Lewis a rest, but he seems to be in the form of his life currently. Tough decisions to make, but good ones to have for Hurry, Kerr and the skipper.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 20:45
I expect the same bowling attack as last week.

All seamers did a fine job.
As long as Lewis can be patched up he has to play.
Rest next week maybe but we have to but strongest attack out for this.

Lancs have Maharaj Parkinson & Livingstone so a big turner has it's risks.

Clark is injured for them so lets see what Simon has prepared for us.....

Nothing to fear, we are in superb form and under no real pressure. Lancs are fighting for their lives and under huge pressure, win that first session, get on top and stay on top.

Cleavo
Cleavo (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 21:16
Don’t disagree WSM fan, but if Dom doesn’t get regular first team cricket we do run the risk of losing him in the future. Another difficult situation that needs managing properly. Of course when Leach gets called up and becomes England’s first choice spinner then Bess will be able to fill that void.

I’d back our 4 seam pronged attack over a Lancs seam attack of Onions, Bailey and Lester with Clark being injured.

As you say we are in great form and have plenty of momentum, which I hope we can carry right through until the end of the season. Then who knows what might happen.

Roll on 10:30am tomorrow.

PS: Come on Essex!

Hayseed
Hayseed (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 22:41
Personally I would hope and expect Dom Bess to play tomorrow. Although I accept this would then bring about a rather tricky selection issue. If Somerset do go down the two spinners route whoever it is who then misses out will have been extremely unlucky. I suspect though it may be Josh Davey despite his excellent recent performances. With Ben Green and Tom Abell as back up we won't be short of seam bowling options. I guess, as was posted earlier, such a selection dilemma is a sure sign of a very strong squad.

Good luck to whoever makes the final X1 tomorrow. Lets make it four in a row.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 23:10
The pitch is in the same area as the last home match, I wonder if it is the same pitch Bess may play if it is!

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
03 September, 2018 23:51
Let's us know if they get the rakes out.

chunkyinargyll
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 06:43
Now, if I'd said that.........

(Sm134)

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 08:50
Dom has a shoulder injury per Devon reports.
So if keeps him out it appears we have Dom Eddie & Max in a 15 we pretty much know wont play.
So its 4 from Craig Josh Lewis Jamie Rvdm.

Pitch makes that call i guess.

Jack did it on his own v Essex.

I'm going for same attack as Yorks and back the seamers & Jack to terrorise a poor & low on confidence Lancs line up likely to include at least 2 unfamiliar names.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
04 September, 2018 09:13
We wouldn't have been sure you were joking Chunky (even if you put TiC after it).

Let's hope the weather does not have an adverse effect on the games to come. Very grey and not particularly promising in west Somerset this morning.

The problem we have with Dom is the same as we had with Arul and Wes last decade (although in spades). we managed to play them most of the time because one of them was a top 5 batsman (and the other was a hell of a lot better than we usually gave him credit for). Dom will have a consistent Championship career at Somerset either at the expense of Jack on bowling credentials or on batting prowess as a batsman who spins the ball.

It should have been the reason to play him at Worcester and needs to be the mindset the selection process keeps in mind. Playing them both as spinners does not guarantee one of them a lot of games, especially at the ends of the season as it presently is allocated.

(Sm72)

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net