cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
DeanSwift
Coming to Somerset v Surrey with some Surrey members on Tue Sep 18
DeanSwift (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 16:09
Hello all - hope you are well.

A quick question.

I'm coming to the game on Tuesday September 18th and myself and three friends will be buying general admission tickets.

They are Surrey members (forgive them, they are actually really nice) but will they be able to use their Surrey membership to sit in Somerset member areas?

Many thanks

cricketharris
Re: Coming to Somerset v Surrey with some Surrey members on Tue Sep 18
cricketharris (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 16:36
Yes, if there is room.

DeanSwift
DeanSwift (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 14:26
Many thanks cricketharris.

Where would you suggest the best place is to sit for viewing/atmosphere?

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 14:47
Best view behind the arm is upper tier of Somerset pavilion. But probably also coldest.

Best spot for all day sun (if its out) is terrace seating in front of the Colin Atkinson pavilion

Nicest atmosphere is the benches on Gimbletts Hill.

The Cake Taster
Botham (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 16:13
Quote:
Bagpuss
Best view behind the arm is upper tier of Somerset pavilion. But probably also coldest.
Best spot for all day sun (if its out) is terrace seating in front of the Colin Atkinson pavilion

Nicest atmosphere is the benches on Gimbletts Hill.

Not sitting with the peasants?

BristolRob
RadstockRob (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 16:17
Best place for a Surrey fan would be in Ring o'Bells drowning his sorrows!

He could also search out the Gareth Batty appreciation Society.

I'm sure the'd make him welcome!

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 18:03
I'm sure there will be a quorum of peasants on the terrace of the New Pavilion. Not sure if my accent qualifies me as a peasant, but that's where I mostly am, work permitting.

Scyld Berry reckoned the top deck of the old pavilion at Taunton was the best place to watch cricket in the world, or indeed out of it. The new one matches it pretty well, in terms of both view and bone-freezing crosswind.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 19:20
If you are going well gents then at least pop into the Botham because I am sure you will enjoy the misery of some of the locals there if Surrey are playing well... or to be honest if they aren't.

The fans there aren't all dipped in misery but I am told that is where you don't have to look far for a miserable Somerset watcher. I am only passing this info on though so don't attack the messenger.

I wouldn't set yourself up wherever Tom Curran is fielding though if I were you. He may have some fun after his comments at the T20 loss. If you see him please tell him to go with the crowd.

It will be banter at a CC match and they'll love him if he's willing to laugh about it. We do, like every county cricket ground, have our selection of 'wits'.

Unfortunately, as you can see Mr Batty is not a popular fellow at Taunton but I am afraid that is very much his own fault and he should have known better. Tom was just a little naive and can be forgiven. I'm afraid Gareth never will be.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 10:19 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 23:00
Lay off the Botham stand Grockle. I'm sat at front in my straightjacket on and very happy.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 09:11
I suppose one advantage of sitting in the Botham Stand, something I have never done, is that you don't have to look at it.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 09:20
I have only sat in the Botham Stand very briefly, but one advantage is that you see St J's and St MM's. For me that would compensate for quite a bit.

Loyal of Lhasa
08 September, 2018 09:30
Bobstan tactfully omitted to mention that one advantage of sitting in the Botham Stand is that he doesn't have to sit with the undersigned...

LoL

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 10:07
I hadn't considered that. I may contemplate a move to the Botham. Or I may not.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 10:21
But it's a nice straightjacket Scrumper.... in club colours.

(Sm72)

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 09:54
Heavy roller being used on a pitch this morning.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 10:13
Sh, don't tell 'em. Pike - I mean Mike.

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:25
Any sign of damage to the outfield arising from last night's 'Abba' shenanigans Mike ?

Grizzzly

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:39
They were still removing the stage when I went through the ground.
I couldn't see any damage.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:40
Has that happened? Damn the inspectors will be in.

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 09:23
The stage was directly in front of the CA pavilion, with tickets restricted to 1500, the rest of the ground was cordoned off, those on the grass area in front of the stage either stood or brought their own seats, we had a small shower during the evening, but not enough to cause any issues to the grass I would have thought.

As far as the concert was concerned, it was very enjoyable evening,with the stars from the West End Show, also plenty of amenities available (food and Drink).

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 18:30
You, along with your 3 friends, will be made to feel very welcome when you come to Taunton on your visit this week Dean.

Although not a members' area, I would suggest that you keep clear of the Gimbletts Hill area of the ground. It is not my favourite part of the ground because it has always seemed to me to be frequented by some very strange and unusual people! Now't so queer as folk so they say, but that's the way I see it.

If you need to walk through it upon a perambulation of the ground, my advice is to 'keep your head down and continue walking'.

In front of the Colin Atkinson Pavilion, or in the Marcus Trescothick Stand would be my first choices.

Congratulations on your team becoming County Champions; Surrey are the most outstanding team and their success is well deserved.

Enjoy your stay amongst the "Yokels" and I hope to see you here again next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2018 18:32 by Clarence Parker.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 18:33
Tractor would be offended, well maybe not Clarence. The Stragglers crowd were always the misfits of the ground.

(Sm28)

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 23:38
Thanks for the feedback on the ground Mike & Roger.

Good to hear that no damage has been done.

Grizzzly

Loyal of Lhasa
17 September, 2018 10:36
Quote:
Clarence Parker

Although not a members' area, I would suggest that you keep clear of the Gimbletts Hill area of the ground. It is not my favourite part of the ground because it has always seemed to me to be frequented by some very strange and unusual people! Now't so queer as folk so they say, but that's the way I see it.

As Tractor would say, "I resemble that remark". But I enjoy keeping company with "strange and unusual people".

Welcome to all our visitors from Surrey, wherever you choose to sit.

LoL

DeanSwift
DeanSwift (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:15
Thanks.

I'm actually a Somerset fan but London born and bred (live on the proper side, north of the river).

My friends are Surrey who are looking forward to coming to Taunton for the first time.

I have been selling Taunton as a great ground to them for ages and finally we have co-ordinated a day off work so they can make it.

I'm like a kid on Xmas Eve to be honest.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 17:14
Well the weather has broken this afternoon so here is hoping that tomorrow is everything you want it to be.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 18:12
"As Tractor would say, "I resemble that remark". But I enjoy keeping company with "strange and unusual people".

As you are of course perfectly entitled to do.

David Lloyd on television has previously referred to a section of the Old Trafford ground (where a number of Lancashire members, and no doubt their descendants, have congregated for many years) as "The Pit of Hate." He opined that some Lancashire fielders hated fielding in front of there.

Derby has its 'Moaners Corner' where those suitably qualified to take up residence there have designed their own "Members tie."

I consider that Taunton too has a similarly designated area within the ground. I have visited it and been made welcome a couple of times this year. It is interesting to hear the latest thoughts (some negative but a few positive) and rumours that are circulating. One or two of the 'old rogues' seem to keep a close ear to the ground via a senior official of the club (or so they tell me) who shall remain nameless.

It's all interesting stuff. Maybe tomorrow I will drop in again, though its exact location must remain a closely guarded secret.

(Sm85)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 18:27
It used to be a section the white chairs in front of the Old Pavilion in days of Yore.

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 20:52
I seldom sit on Gimblett's Hill myself, as I often bring my work with me and need to sit in the Atkinson Pavilion so I can have a table to work at; if (mercifully) free of work I prefer to be behind the arm on the (wonderful) New Pav Terrace.

However, my impression of the general populace of Gimblett's Hill is that there can be no more amiable, knowledgeable or benignly partisan crowd to be found at any county ground in the country, and if you sit there you will unquestionably find yourself among friends whatever your differing priorities.

Loyal of Lhasa
18 September, 2018 09:38
You summarise my thougts perfectly, Mikeindex. It's a most congenial place as far as I am concerned (save for the discomfort of the unyielding benches), a place where I have often said I would be happy to breathe my last. Note: if anybody finds me apparently asleep on the hill just leave me to be removed at the end of the season.

The conversation tends to be lively but rlyespectful and there is little of that moaning of the kind Grockle refers to (of that elder brigade who sat in front of the old pavilion, whose regular attendance at matches I simply could not understand, given that they seemed to enjoy the cricket so little).

One pleasing aspect of the hill is that one can frequently engage in conversation with fielders, local or visiting, and the conversations are always good humoured, reminding us of what a decent lot our county cricketers are.

LoL

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net