cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
MESSAGES->author
FINALS Day - It's about time
Grockle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 13:04
So it is Wednesday. I'm still in the UK awaiting paperwork and thinking 'could I get to Edgbaston?' Tickets are like rocking horse droppings and the price of the Moon so it will be armchair watching for those still thinking.

But it is time to speculate and discuss the chances so have at it my friends!!

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 07:07 by Grockle.

Rod1883
Re: FINALS Day - It's about time
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 14:17
Hope Lewis is fully fit. I'm surprised he played in the Lancs game to be honest as he had been having some issues prior to.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 14:22
I agree with you. The prognosis at the end of the QF was that we would be lucky to see him before the Final as they would rest him.

Maybe they thought that might make him go off the boil. I'm not sure what his presence in the games since have done to his batting or confidence before the Finals…. hopefully nothing.

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 15:22
... but they HAVE rested him - for four days out of the two most recent four-day matches. Good planning!

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Following on
FINALS Day - It's about time
Following on (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 16:18
Non of the teams in Finals day appear to be covering themselves in glory in this round of championship games. We lost in two days, Sussex less than three. Lancashire look to be in trouble against Yorkshire and Worcestershire have set Surrey 272. Are minds elsewhere...

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 16:34
Came on to post similar Following on.
As you say, we were stuffed, as have Sussex, Lancashire folding rapidly, and Worcs yet to get a breakthrough in Surrey's second innings. Worcs seem to making the best fist of it this round of CC games, but the Surrey steamroller will probably prevail.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 17:28
192 out of 339 for Banton today. I think he should play on Saturday.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 17:41
I think you are right.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 18:05
LoL - I think you are right.

Sorry, but Steve Davies should be out of chances, IMO.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 19:45
A virtually unknown wicketkeeper playing for Somerset in a major competition? It would never work ...!

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 19:49
Interesting parrallels but a better taste in a supporters mouth this time perhaps.

(Sm72)

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 20:22
If anyone should know about wicketkeepers, Prebendary, it is surely you.

Cleavo
Cleavo (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 21:16
Admittedly the form of Steven Davies in the competition has been scratchy and poor to say the least, but he is part of a group of players who have got us this far.

So on that basis I believe Hurry and Kerr will keep faith in him for finals day.

On his day he is a match winner and his experience behind the stumps will be invaluable. Plus if he can get away a couple of early boundaries with the bat at the top of order then confidence grow.

Ideally the top 3 need to contribute and get us off to strong start to ease the pressure on middle order, but the beauty of our side is different players have stepped up and contributed at different times and that is the hallmarks of a top side.

Tom Banton is a top talent with bags of potential. His time will come sooner rather than later. Next season there will be a spot to fill in white ball cricket with Myburgh retiring and possibly an opening spot alongside Tres in red ball cricket is up for grabs where he’ll be competing with both Eddie and Green unless Hurry/Kerr are looking to recruit in that area from outside.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 21:18
Keep Steve Davies in the side.

Change your wicket keeper, and you will change your luck. He is experienced and there will come a time I fear when that will be needed.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 21:42
It is certainly a difficult one. Do we need a batsman? Is the other batsman someone we can confidently put in and the situation may change? Do we need Steve behind the stumps? Is changing anything now a bad thing?

I'm glad I don't have to take the decision.

(Sm72)

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 21:51
I'd stay with Davies...and back him for a quick 25 which will do nicely

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 22:26
Stick with the team that got us to Finals day.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 22:35
Got to stick with the same team. Banton and Green's time will come, nice to have such talent coming through.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 23:27
Jimmy Anderson, Keaton Jennings, Jos Buttler and Moeen Ali have all been released by the ECB to play on finals day, but only Jennings, Buttler and Ali have decided to do so.

On the same tack, relegation-threatened Yorkshire are already protesting that Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow and Adil Rashid have been refused permission to play in their final two championship matches, although Moeen Ali can appear for Worcestershire, Yorkshire`s final opponents at New Road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2018 23:46 by cricketjerry-mouse.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 23:53
I thought Adil didn't play red ball. Hold on...

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 06:28
This has always been an issue when the ECB, arbitrarily it seems, creates imbalances in games. Especially at important parts of the season. Surely it has to be all or nothing doesn't it?

(Sm72)

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 08:16
Can understand why no Bairstow - he does have a broken finger to heal (and before you remind me he's played two tests with it, this was surely due to having the finger ring blocked with local anaesthetic)

The England squad fly to Sri Lanka in 17 days time.

Also I believe a lot of these agreements to release players are made after consultation with the individual players on what their own wishes are. Good on Moeen who wants to play.

Monkey Butler
Monkey Butler (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 08:28
Banton was very unlucky getting injured when he did. On merit I think he should play, however, I would probably leave him out as our success has been based on consistency of selection.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 13:24
Correlation and causation are not the same thing.

Continually picking a guy who repeatedly gets out for next to nothing cannot possibly have caused the winning run.

Davies was dropped, and rightly so. Banton came in. Then he quickly got injured when he had become the man in possession. The normal course of events would be to restore the injured man when he is better.

After two whole years of not coming off* in two different white ball competitions, it is surely high time to assume that something rather more fundamental than a *temporary* loss of form is afoot with Davies's white ball performances.

He should not play but I suspect that management will go for the false sense of confidence engendered by "an unchanged side."

*Please can nobody bother to point out that he's made the odd 50 here or there.... in all white ball cricket for SCCC he averages about 15-16, for the love of all things holy!

Please can we also avoid responses along the lines of 'maybe he's great in the dressing room/around the lads etc,' since that argument was rightly lampooned on this board when it used to be cited as a reason for Luke Wright being involved with England.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2018 13:36 by AG on apple.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 13:26
The best and best managed teams are constantly seeking to improve.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 13:56
Permission to respond your lordship.

My word, how on earth have we got this far with only ten players.

Can anyone see a ready made scapegoat being lined up if we fail to land the trophy on Saturday.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:31
Wrong.

Steve Davies won't be given the option to select himself, or leave himself out.

If Davies gets picked and does nothing, then management will be to blame, since they've seen two years' worth of failure from him, so could hardly say that they haven't been warned.

If they pick him and he magically comes off?

Well, they'll look like geniuses to some but, to be honest, the decision itself will still have been highly dubious in my view... management would just have got lucky.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:32
In T20 cricket a player who makes a score of 60 one in ten times and ten in the other nine innings (average 15) may have more impact - in a team that is performing as a unit - than another player who makes 15 in every innings. The most important thing for a T20 opener is to come out hitting, and keep hitting (there have been several recent well written articles looking at the best tactics for players in different spots in the batting order in a successful T20 side).

Steve Davies knows his job in the team. More often than not it won't come off. But he is still willing to play the team tactics despite stick he is getting from onlookers. The reason Somerset have been the best team in the group stages is their approach to their batting. If wickets fall they don't take a step back-they advance.

And that's before you even think about how vital the keeper role is in the field.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:36
Maybe just maybe the management team with years of professional experience & knowledge and professionally qualified know slightly more than Mr Agod, far fetched idea i know.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:43
Sorry, WSM, but the fact that said management team already axed him in this competition this season, and that he got his place back only by default (as the other 'keeper was injured) speaks volumes.

NOTHING meaningful has changed since the original decision was made to axe him. He's not perked up, so much as one iota.

Therefore, if the original decision (made by said management team) to drop him was correct, then it would be correct to do the same again in view of the fact that he's continued to do next to nothing, even after getting his place back by dint of nothing other than sheer good fortune.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net