cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
MESSAGES->author
Home at last and it's Surrey
Grockle (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 13:45
The last home fixture of the season. After ABBA and the Lord Mayor's Show.

The hope that this would have been a CC1 crunch match was dashed by our own post-August form and Surrey's consistency. So there is only pride to play for - though we don't want Notts to get close.

A good home send off would be excellent though after Lancashire and Hampshire it may not be 4 day and the 2018 Champions must be in the driving seat.

We shall see what we shall see. Is there steel in Somerset or are we going to maintain our present consistent trait which is to bat appallingly?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2018 11:29 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Home at last and it's Surrey
Scrumper (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 21:22
Of Surrey, the Sunday Times says "Only bad weather, it would seem can prevent them beating Somerset this week". I say "Hogwash".

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 22:49
And the same Sunday Times has a long piece about the advantages that Surrey's deep pockets give them

Bangers500
Bangers500 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 06:26
Dont be jel

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 06:57
Well you have to say that on form they might be right but I've watched games against Surrey before where the press have given us no chance and the supposed 'big boys' went home with their arrogant tails between their arrogant legs.

As long as it's a good game between two sides that are where they are because they've played good 4 day cricket this season then bring it on and let things fall how they may

(Sm72)

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 07:31
The weather could play a part in the result, that would be a shame if it did.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 07:57
It's that time of year - the problem if CC1 seasons go to tje wire taking into account that this isn't the last game of the season

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 09:52
While I hope for a good game, just hope Somerset supporters are respectful of Surrey being championship winners.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 10:09
And Surrey supporters are respectful to Somerset not being Surrey.

It is a two way street and although I personally have met some very excellent supporters of Surrey I have only experienced problems first hand with the crowd when we have hosted one of three counties. Two are local and the other was London based.

As you say let's hope it's a good game of cricket. The weather had better improve though if this morning is anything to go by!!

(Sm72)

Railboy
Railboy (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 11:07
Surely this is the opportunity to have a peek into the future and give ourselves some idea of how the land lies? James H and Steve D have played all games in all formats this year and deserve a break, we believe Lewis has been labouring with a niggle for a while so good opportunity to get him rested, and we know everything we need to know about Marcus. Green is already in possession but I hear Lamonby (sp?) is the future, why not give him an early taste. Banton has done everything expected of a young man knocking on the door, Byron and Bartlett have both shown enough to deserve another look

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 11:16
It's an option - I'm not sure we'll take it.

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 12:37
I wouldn't be in favour of too much experimentation - we want to win this one, partly to show Surrey they can't have everything their own way and partly to make absolutely sure of second place (not yet a mathematical certainty). We should in principle put out our strongest side, though resting anyone with a niggle would make good sense. Perhaps next week would be a better time for a spot of experimentation and giving the newer lads a taste of the atmosphere?

It occurs to me that a high-scoring draw would ensure us of 2nd place even if Essex win their last two at 24 a go. Time for an old-style Taunton featherbed?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 13:26
You mean get to and have a boring Day 3? Wouldn't that be unusual?

(Sm72)

Roger ivanhoe
17 September, 2018 13:41
Tom Abell, Azhar Ali, Tom Banton, Dom Bess, Josh Davey, Steve Davies, Ben Green, Lewis Gregory, Tim Groenewald, James Hildreth, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Jamie Overton and Marcus Trescothick.

No surprises, good to see Tim Groenewald back and available.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:09

One would assume Ben, Marcus, Azhar, James and Tom will be set.

Steve or Tom B

Both spinners or Jack? (might depend on Lewis)

Seam from the Overtons, Josh and Tim

It may depend on whether they want to check out Tim G for the next two games and whether they want to give Jamie a breather and use Craig with Tim.

Probable non players? Dom, Tom B (I'd personally rather he played) and Jamie O for me

But could be Lewis, Tim G and Steve D

It will be intertesting and I'm not all that sure which would be the stronger side to be honest.

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:32
I would be seriously worried about his future with Somerset if Bess doesn't play.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:36
The pitch is over on the east side of the square.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 15:03 by Mike TA1.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:38
Well they can rest Lewis - he deserves it but it wouldn't be our strongest side.

Dom has to accept that he has to bowl a hell of a lot better or get some runs under his bat if he wants consistent first team cricket. He can't expect a side just because he is a very promising spinner - we have one of those. A second one has to compete with the first or offer something extra

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa
17 September, 2018 14:45
Spinners "bowl a hell of a lot better" the more they bowl. This has been his least successful season so far; it's also the season in which he's played fewest matches.

LoL

Monkey Butler
Monkey Butler (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:51
Yes, Bess needs to play. I would also like to see Banton, but i'm not sure that we will.

Just to add, in the past we've stuck with Jamie and Tom when they were going through very tricky spells. If I was Dom and they didn't afford me the same faith I would question my worth.

Developing players takes a little patience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 14:56 by Monkey Butler.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:56
I'm not sure how that justifies his selection unless there is a need for 2 spinners.

Dom is presently our second spinner - if he wants overs then he has to prove useful on one spinner wickets as well. He needs to become Arul Mark 2.

Such is the lot of spinners I am afraid.

It's the same issue for Tom B and Steve D

Or Craig K and Jos B. In the end if you want 2 one has to bat.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:58
Is that the pitch you saw the heavy roller being used at the weekend Mike?

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 15:05
I am not sure it is.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:05
The logical problem with picking some of the younger guys to 'see what we have,' for this game would be that it is a dead rubber.... ergo there may not be much intensity in the game.. this would, unfortunately, mean that if somebody makes runs then it probably says not very much about their ability to do something in a game with genuine meaning and intensity (i.e for next season) and whether one could read much into just one or two failures is also uncertain.

What's the other game that we have left? Is it Notts?

Are they still in danger of the drop? If so, that game might have some intensity to it.

Now, I might be wrong about this game - it might be that Surrey are desperate to stay unbeaten all year, and so will really come hard at us. But I think "After the Lord Mayor's show," is probable both for them and for us.

Like LoL, I am worried, really, about Bess's future.

We have no further leeway with our pitches and in trying to avoid big turners this year, we've created a situation where he doesn't get picked much. I suspect this will just go the way of the Jos situation and Bess will leave for a county that doesn't have so much as one decent spinner.

I agree that not picking him for the final couple of games would send a bad signal to him but, equally, the guy's not stupid and he can almost certainly already see the writing on the wall in terms of the fact that we will probably have to go out of our way to avoid any suggestion of even moderate early turn in our future home tracks and that same will not increase the frequency with which we pick two spinners. In other words, even if he plays the final two games, I'm unconvinced that this would convince him that his future lies at Taunton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 16:08 by AG on apple.

DeanSwift
DeanSwift (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:12
Day 1 weather is warm and windy.

Not a combination you usually see.

60mph winds at 10.30am and temperatures rising to 22c.

Dry.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:14
I would, other things being equal, have been all for giving Lewis a breather - given that he was reported carrying a niggle a couple of weeks ago and since then has had no rest and been saddled with the physical and mental stress of the the T20s, it's hard to see how he can now have become 100% fit - but forecast is dry with heavy cloud.

If it's going to swing we surely have to play Lewis and probably Josh as well, which makes it hard to see how Dom can be squeezed in, much as I like to see him in the side for all sorts of reasons.

I would be devastated to lose Dom to another county. I would have picked him, probably ahead of Josh, for some of the early-season games on the basis that picking your best eleven players is the prime consideration and which ones best suit the conditions should be more of a tie-breaker; who knows whether our overall performances might have been worse, much the same or (improbably) even better?

Whichever, Josh's performances have fully justified his place in the side, and Dom's, since his England debut and subsequent lay-off, have been well below his best. I didn't want to lose Jos Buttler either, but the days of Les Ames and Hopper Levett are long gone.

I don't know how long Dom is under contract for (not that these things seem to matter anyway when it actually comes to it). If only England had recognised Jack's worth sooner…

Another one I am concerned about is George Bartlett, one of the most naturally gifted young batsmen I have seen since Gower, who after a sticky start at first team level was dropped in the wake of an outstanding maiden hundred. If any young batsman is to be given a chance in the last couple of games ahead of a rested veteran, Bartlett would be my first choice.

Tim G (probably now opening the bowling alongside Hallam for my Somerset Favourites XI, and definitely not batting 11 in that line-up) nonetheless can surely not be considered this week even if fully fit, on grounds of lack of match practice and nowhere to fit him in anyway.

Given Somerset's much-bemoaned lack of strength in depth, how many counties in either division can leave out players of the quality of Dom Bess, Peter Trego, Roley vdM, George Bartlett, Eddie Byrom and (appropriately as most of them are Devonians) young uncle Tom Banton and all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 19:55 by mikeindex.

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:20
Strange comments re: Bartlett from Matthew Maynard, before he left along the lines of "Bartlett, especially, is one whose career could go either way." Why he should have been singled out like that (amongst several younger batsmen), I know not.

Re: Dom - we can only hope, in a way, Mikeindex, that Jack Leach totally outbowls the rest of the England spinners in Sri Lanka although then, of course, we'd lose Leachy's services for much of the time.

Even then, unless Mo has another horror tour, redolent of his one Down Under, then Leachy may still only be an occasional pick at home. And it doesn't seem at all likely that Mo's tour to SL will go anything like his ill-fated trip to Aus (after all, it doesn't matter which off-spinner we send to Aus, they always get destroyed anyway)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2018 16:20 by AG on apple.

Roger ivanhoe
17 September, 2018 16:27
So AG is there any future for spinners of Dom's type at any club if the ECB do like clubs producing spinning wickets until after lunch on the 3rd and all of the final day of a match.

I am just looking forward to seeing how England cope with spin in Sri Lanka.

Loyal of Lhasa
17 September, 2018 16:31
Personally I find cricket much more attractive when there are three front line fast(ish) bowlers and two spinners.If we pick Leach and Bess, we should have no difficulty in selecting three good fast men, whose efforts can be supplemented by Abell and Green.

LoL

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 16:46
Green turned his ankle in training today.
Banton set to debut tomorrow.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net