cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Railboy
Re: Home at last and it's Surrey
Railboy (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 17:17
The wind was indeed extreme just up the road so I am not entirely surprised that lightweight covers were not up to the task. However it was very well forecast so I hope some measures were taken to mitigate the likelihood of blowing away and that despite the best efforts the worst happened. If not then this looks very amateurish.
I am quite surprised with how early it was abandoned however. It didn’t seem to me that the amount of rain was so extreme that at 9.30 it was clear that it wouldn’t dry sufficiently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2018 17:20 by Railboy.

Dave65
Dave65 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 17:41
Quote:
Clarence Parker
Dave65, we do not need a new groundsman.
Simon Lee (and his ground staff) have continued to do a very good job since taking over the reins from Phil Frost some years ago, under very difficult circumstances.

Simon & Co. definitely have my full support.

That's your opinion Clarence but in my opinion this is the 2nd time in a matter of weeks that the club have been embarrassed and the 3rd time in a year. We are a club that are getting a bad reputation and that is something that I am not happy with and it is also one day going to cost us points we are just fortunate that up until now the ECB have been very lenient. Today I was thoroughly embarrassed to be a Somerset member for the second time in 2 weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2018 17:44 by Dave65.

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 18:33
I live three quarters of a mile from the ground, and if St James St had the same amount of very strong winds and rain downpours that we had last night then somebody would have had to spend a few hours in that weather last night trying to stake down some very heavy covers.
Old Boy!

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 18:41
Quote:
Wickham
I fail to understand why we sited the ground in the eye of an impending storm and why, having done so, we put the wicket in the least protected part of the ground (ie the middle).

Seems a good idea - it should been pitched about twenty yards from the protection of the Somerset Stand - then the residents of the flats could have watched out for trouble and rushed down in the middle of the night to cry for help!(Sm100)(Sm109)(Sm113)(Sm133)
Old Boy!

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 18:50
Quote:
Bagpuss

Of more concern is that today I heard the season will extend to October next year.

Why be surprised - I expect that the same goons who thought up 100 ball cricket will soon be telling us that because only a few folk come to watch championship matches, the season will run fron October to March with all matches played in the indoor school and spectators can watch the matches on TV OR Maybe only via the internet!
Old Boy!

Cleavo
Cleavo (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 19:51
[quote Dave65][quote Clarence Parker]Dave65, we do not need a new groundsman.

That's your opinion Clarence but in my opinion this is the 2nd time in a matter of weeks that the club have been embarrassed and the 3rd time in a year. We are a club that are getting a bad reputation and that is something that I am not happy with and it is also one day going to cost us points we are just fortunate that up until now the ECB have been very lenient. Today I was thoroughly embarrassed to be a Somerset member for the second time in 2 weeks.[/quote]

Thoroughly embarrassed to be a Somerset member? Well don’t renew next season then or write to the club and express your displeasure Dave365 instead of venting your frustrations on here. Maybe a club official will provide you with some constructive answers to your needless criticism.

The weather gods last night were completely out of our control, but let’s blame the ground staff for that too who do a sterling job in my opinion.

Yes, it’s frustrating for everyone involved, but the reaction from some on here and Surrey fans on social media has been way over the top. As if Somerset would doctor the storms to force the match to be abandoned. You would think Surrey fans (some not all) making these accusations would show a bit more class having won the CC last week, clearly not.

Anyway rant over! Nothing to see here and no fallout, so time to move on and look forward to Notts away next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2018 19:53 by Cleavo.

Dave65
Dave65 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 20:05
Quote:
Cleavo
Thoroughly embarrassed to be a Somerset member? Well don’t renew next season then or write to the club and express your displeasure Dave365 instead of venting your frustrations on here. Maybe a club official will provide you with some constructive answers to your needless criticism.
The weather gods last night were completely out of our control, but let’s blame the ground staff for that too who do a sterling job in my opinion.

Yes, it’s frustrating for everyone involved, but the reaction from some on here and Surrey fans on social media has been way over the top. As if Somerset would doctor the storms to force the match to be abandoned. You would think Surrey fans (some not all) making these accusations would show a bit more class having won the CC last week, clearly not.

Anyway rant over! Nothing to see here and no fallout, so time to move on and look forward to Notts away next week.

Don't you worry I shall be writing to the club to express my discontent, a discontent that was shared by the vast majority of people that I spoke to at the ground today. And I will decide if I renew my membership next year if that is ok with you?

In my opinion its not frustrating it is embarrassing and completely unacceptable this is a first class county ground that is hosting 3 world cup games next season yet this is more like something from a village cricket club. Also let's not forget that this is off the back of the previous home game where we produced a terrible 'wicket'.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 21:07
To be a 'vast majority' of Somerset fans however Dave you would have had to talk to 6000+ and I doubt you did that today. 20 maybe? Were they from one part of the ground? So possibly of the same opinion? Were they members or non members? Different levels of involvement you see.

So your opinion was confirmed by about 0.005% of the membership maybe. Using 'vast majority' in that context is a little bit of overkill. In fact stating that there was a majority indicates that some of the people you talked to did not agree with your opinion even if they were a 'small minority'.

So whatever the view you are discussing your statement merely says that you talked to a pretty unrepresentative group of people and most of them agreed with you.

Thanks for that.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 21:11
Quote:
Wickham
I fail to understand why we sited the ground in the eye of an impending storm and why, having done so, we put the wicket in the least protected part of the ground (ie the middle).

Well done sir. I've even broken my own rules about quotiing just to express my appreciation for an ironic response among all this madness.

(Sm72)

sfwithers
sfwithers (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 22:02
Quote:
Grockle
Quote:
Wickham

Well done sir. I've even broken my own rules about quotiing just to express my appreciation for an ironic response among all this madness.

Absolutely. And it was total madness to place this ground in South-West England, possibly the windiest, wettest part of the country, If only Somerset could play their home matches in, say, East Anglia, all would be well.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 22:14
OK, lots of weather last night. I've been sorting my ground today with stuff blown everywhere.

But the management need to look at that Lancashire wicket and that abandoned 2nds game. It needs addressing.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 07:17
I'm sure they will.

But a greater priority should be looking at how in the world we can avoid a repeat of the Lancs *batting* performance.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 07:38
It would be interesting to know, by those Covermoaners, do we have the wrong type of covers for this weather, we didn't follow the operating instructions or is it just storms happen? What do other venues do differently?

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 08:10
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Not%20Cricket%20Match%20Photos/Rained%20off%20Match%205.jpg

Looking at some of my older photos they use sand bags or something heavy to hold down the piece of material that went from one cover to the next, this stopped the rain getting through any space between each cover.

This would also add more weight to the covers, this is not done now because that piece of material is held in place by rope.

Should they have add more weight to the covers considering the weather forecast?

Edit - Andrew Cornish said on the clubs website "We had additional sandbags on the covers last night, we had secondary ties on the covers last night and nobody can remember anything like this happening before."

The sand bags would have been on the flat sheets.the extra weight was needed on the covers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2018 08:22 by Mike TA1.

Dave65
Dave65 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 08:11
MODERATED Why requote the entirety of a post that is hardly mentioned in the reply. Can i suggest 'Grockle in reply to your last post. .' Thanks

At the ground yesterday I spoke to probably about 30-40 people all members (who had turned up for the final day of the season to see us most likely lose but they turned up anyway) and all but 2 thought that it was embarrassing and amateurish.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2018 10:07 by Grockle.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 08:51
The answer to a question, though, can often vary on how it is put, *especially* if it is being posed to a stranger.

It isn't normal for somebody to walk up to a stranger and say "I'd be interested in your considered views as to what you make of what happened earlier today/overnight," and with the questioner having a totally neutral look on their face (but same might be the only fair test of what somebody really thinks)

Some people are, frankly, rather mouse like and don't like to disagree with the view of their questioner (and, sometimes, the view of the questioner is apparent from their demeanour, tone etc etc, even if their opinion is not directly stated)

Dave65
Dave65 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 09:07
A lot of assumption there. None of them correct.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 09:22
I went over to the ground to take the odd photo, people were arriving from different parts of the county, somebody from Exeter, Wellington and other places, they hadn't heard that the match was called off.

A taxi driver had just got out of his car and said loudly something about the previous Head Groundsman (I will not repeat it) Richard Walsh was walking by and said “don't say that” I replied “it wasn't me it was the taxi driver” obviously he wasn't very happy.

I didn't ask people what they thought about it, the main comment was about arriving at the ground and finding the match call off.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 09:58
Unless you were looking in a mirror whilst speaking, Dave, then I fail to see how you could possibly be certain that the look on your face didn't reveal something of your thoughts..?

Now, admittedly, if what you are saying is that you personally know all of these people you spoke to then that's a bit different as they are more likely to tell you what they really think.

Or, perhaps, when you said you 'spoke to them,' what actually happened is that they all moaned spontaneously, such that you didn't have to elicit their views?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 10:03
Thanks Dave. Mostly members then....makes it about 0.007% of the representative body.... so? Ask 'em again in a week if we beat Notts away. Just to measure the consistency.

While you are there maybe remind them this side has brought about £250,000 in prize money this year from being competitive in 2 of the 3 national competitions up to the last 3/4 weeks of the season. Maybe check their short term memory status by reminding them that this very side were ONE day from winning the same prize being moaned about 2 years ago today.

Not for any reason or to change their minds which is clearly impossible without a new groundsman and possibly coaches after 1 year if they think along your lines.

Just for a bit of balance to the hysteria of the combined small group reaction to a day lost to storm weather and 2 very bad batting performances.

(Sm72)

Dave65
Dave65 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 10:27
I think you have totally misunderstood what I have said Grockle.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with the teams performances which until the last 3 weeks have been very good so I have no idea why you are going on about that as it has absolutely nothing to do with yesterday which I what I am talking about.

Also I'm not sure why you are going on about new coaches Hurry and Kerr have done an excellent job this season. It seems like you are finding things from my posts that aren't there just to try and twist my argument.

What has annoyed me is the fact that we lost a day's play yesterday due to not having adequate covering for a storm that was forecast well in advance. Its like something you would expect from a village team but it is certainly not befitting of a first class county. And for the second time in a fortnight Somerset CCC are in the media for all the wrong reasons and both times due to issues with the pitch.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 10:36
So this is all about the covers blowing off? And you only want to sack the groundsman?

Sorry Dave if I got your hysteria wrong.

(Sm72)

Dave65
Dave65 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 10:43
It's not just about the covers it's an accumulation of events. Last year against Middlesex the pitch was raked, another below average pitch (and I thought that was lenient) two weeks ago against Lancs despite being on a warning and then the farce of yesterday.

It's embarrassing and not a good look for a first class county that is hosting world cup matches next year and if it continues having read the CDC statement after the Lancs pitch then it is going to cost us points.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2018 10:45 by Dave65.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 13:55
Dave, yep, you're annoyed about an accumulation of events related directly to the pitch. But many SCCC fans are also liable to have been deeply irritated by the deplorable standard of our batting in recent CC matches...........

in which case yesterday's pitch episode may have been 'the straw that broke the camel's back,' for many - not (necessarily) because of previous pitch issues, but because they've seen their batting line-up being overwhelmed in five successive CC innings (pre-dating the second innings vs Surrey)...

So their readiness to agree with you that the covers episode was 'embarrassing,' may, itself have been influenced by their general lack of happiness at recent events *on* the field.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 15:01
That's one of the attractions about this site, in that one can always read a Psychologist's take on things.

(Sm141)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 18:51
Prove the raking was done Dave. It was mentioned in a news report. It was not mentioned in anything official that I am aware of with any detrimental assessment or statement of conscious intent.

Prove anything at Somerset was done consciously to affect the pitch to gain an advantage in the Lancashire game. The assessment was under preparation because of loss of time and fixture congestion. Exactly the same reasons for the underpreparedness of the Hampshire pitch a few days later.

Prove that there was any action not taken by the groundstaff to batten down the hatches that smacks of negligence. Do that and I for one will listen to your proof and reassess. If you don't have it then nothing you post is more than your poorly resourced opinion.

Maybe you should sit on the Republican side of the Senate Justice Committee on the Kavanaugh hearings if that is what you see as evidence. But please put me right if you have anything but hearsay and semi-urban myth to back up your assessment.

(Sm72)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2018 19:52 by Grockle.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 20:23
Prove the raking was done last year for the Middlesex game?

I, along with many others who were present before the start of play on the first day, actually witnessed it being done with intent by our groundstaff, and I am not a liar.

I can't recall whether the club made any reference to it per se in any subsequent statements, but all hell was let loose by Middlesex's protests was it not?

Is there any need to ask Dave65 for proof on this particular point? I saw it for myself, so do not have any doubts that it happened. I am at a loss to understand why you are so reluctant to accept it.

I am not trying to steal your thunder Dave65, but I do find this constant - "Prove it", "Prove it", "Prove it" tiresome in the extreme.

And before you say it Grockle, I know that I do not have to come on here if I do not like it. That's tiresome also.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 21:35
Quote:
Clarence Parker
That's one of the attractions about this site, in that one can always read a Psychologist's take on things.
(Sm141)

And a distinctly amateur one at that.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 22:05
Prove intent Clarence. No intent identified by the pitch liaison officer. No intent defined in the second ajdudication.

No one even suggested you were lying so don't intensify it.

The OFFICIALS define and set intent. They did not.

What you saw, whatever it was, was simply officially defined as NOT intent.... you seeing a person with with implements working on a wicket I'm afraid does NOT prove intent.

I understand you find 'Prove it' tiresome Clarence but unfortunately, when you make accusations of the activities of real people who presently work in professions and suggest their actions are conciously dishonest when the officials who are responsible do not find in your favour I am afraid you have to prove your accusation if you continue to make them.

A problem it may be. 'Tiresome' it may be but if you can't your opinion is your opinion but it isn't FACT and will be questioned by people who disagree with you.

And you are right. If you don't like it. Put your facts where your comment is or stop stating it as FACT.

That's how it works. Take it or leave it.

You know if Simon Lee decided that he didn't want you and people like you stating he was dishonest on public forums around the place just because you think your view is 'true'. He would send out 'cease and desist' letters where... guess what... they would be 'tiresomely' requiring you to prove your allegation or stop saying it.

You would have to clarify that you were not stating what you said was fact I'm protecting you from yourself Clarence!!

Are you just going to wind your neck out about that one or are you looking to deal with the other two as well. Opinions in those tend to be based on the opinion of the first.... Did you see those 2 as well?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2018 22:42 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 23:39
Actual footage of the incident...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net