cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
Famous Bermudians
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 09:41
As Grockles moves to Bicknoller Beach House in Hamilton Bermuda on Thursday until June 2019 I thought I'd hit the collective cricket 'hive' mind for info on famous Bermudian cricketers.

The most recent famous one is Delray Rawlings of Sussex ((Sm160) Railboy) who got his T20 Runners Up medal on Saturday and is a local Somerset boy. (That's the name of half of the island)

The only other one I know of is 20 stone Dwayne Leverock nickname SLUGGO who took an early slip catch to dismiss the first Indian batsman (Uthappa) in Bermuda's 2007 World Cup clash with India. (Anyone know the name of the bowler who took out an Indian batsman with his debut World Cup ball).

I am reliably informed that a Leverock trialed for Somerset at some time but I have nothing more than that. Anyone got any others?

(Sm72)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2018 23:01 by Grockle.

Clarence Parker
Re: Famous Bermudans
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 09:57
An Old Millfieldian, David Hemp who played for Glamorgan and Warwickshire.

Railboy
Re: Famous Betmudans
Railboy (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 10:20
I'm pretty sure Rawlings plays for Sussex and therefore received a runners up medal on Saturday

MESSAGES->author
Re: Famous Betmudans
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 10:30
Cheers Railboy. I was surprised to see a Bermudan anywhere and it was early in the morning. See why I need the 'hive mind'. Mine doesn't work all the well!

(Sm72)

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 10:38
Kamau Leverock, nephew of Dwayne, did indeed play one or two games for our Second XI, though that is not acknowledged on Cricinfo.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 10:41
Cheers LoL for the name and the correct spelling of the surname. He'll still be about I would imagine as he played in an ICC game this year for his home country.

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 10:47
I think the bowler off whom Leverock senior took his seismic slip catch may have been Malachi Jones.
Young Kamau came on as 12th man in the 2nd XI semi-final against Leics a couple of years ago and displayed an athleticism quite unlike his uncle's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2018 10:58 by mikeindex.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 10:53
Yes it can't have been all that long ago, he's only 23/24 now. He was at Cardiff University I assume because he played for them as well.

He seems to have been a regular in Notts 2nds T20 side this year.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 11:03
Thanks Clarence.

As a mention David's brother Tim (who played for the Welsh Minor Counties it seems) had one Class A game in 1999 against Somerset in the Natwest in 1999. He made one and then was out to ARC. Not sure who he played for in that.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 14:00
Looks like home from home Grockle:

[www.tripadvisor.com]

Have fun !

Grizzzly

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 14:13
I'd swear that was Watchet...

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 14:58
It is interesting that Somerset village is 11 miles from the airport when according to the guide I looked at the island is only 10.5 miles long by about 2 wide. It's basically the road from Bicknoller to the ground with the space to the Quantocks on the left and the population of Taunton lives on it.

Might get to know a few residents you never know. Doubt cider will be plentiful but you never know.

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 16:41
Perhaps the 11 miles is by road rather than as the Bermudan longtail petrel (pterodroma cahow) flies? If the roads in Somerset (Bermuda) are anything like the ones in Somerset (UK), that seems fairly plausible.

If cider is none too plentiful there could be an opening for an enterprising import-export agent.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 16:48
True. I seem to be working in the Devonshire/Pembroke parish part of the Island (the wider bit) but I doubt anywhere is particularly far from anywhere else.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 19:52
The Goat? A famous Bermudan, rather tenuous though as probably not a famous Bermudan cricketer. You never know he might have played (Shaun Goater in case you're wondering)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 20:31
Well he's an MBE so he must have done something.

(Sm72)

Grizzzly
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 20:49
The roads are indeed narrow and crowded.

I believe there is a local law restricting the number of cars to one per household.

That must make for some interesting family debates !

Grizzzly

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 21:18
And a 20mph island wide speed limit. Yep must be a joy to drive somewhere and then try and park!!

Think I'll take the bus.

(Sm72)

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 07:43
Reggie Lamb played 1 first team game for Ipswich Town FC. I saw him play one game for the reserves.

Why is the adjective Bermudian? That would only make sense if the country were Bermudia.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 08:53
It isn't. It's BERMUDAN

(Sm72)

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 10:39
I totally agree, Grock, but everywhere on the net it is Bermudian.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 14:37
In a list of famous Bermudan cricketers, I found the following:
"T. Robinson is a former Bermudian cricketer. Robinson's batting and bowling styles are unknown. Robinson made a single List A appearance for Bermuda against Guyana in the 1998/99 Red Stripe Bowl".
I am not sure whether he is more or less famous than a footballer who made a single appearance for Ipswich Town, as mentioned by the Bobstian contributor.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 20:41
Behave, Wickhiam.

The most important thing, I think, about Reggie Lamb is that he is Reginald Everard Vibart Thompson-Lamb. There is no arguing with that.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 20:58
Nope I stand totally corrected. It is BERMUDIAN. You go by what the natives call themselves and that is Bermudian. Checked out with the horses mouth. Patra, Crystal and Andrea. All native all confirmed it independently. Bobstan.... we know NOTHING.

(Sm72)

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 21:16
Presumably, Mr T-L's parents hoped that he would be come a vicar.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
21 September, 2018 21:32
Very droll, Wickham.

Bobstan
Re: Famous Bermudians
Bobstan (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 06:48
Made I smile, Wickham.

Okay Grockle. Bermudian it will have to be - but it's bonkers!

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 09:52
I met a guy in his very late 60's teaching 16 year olds in a shirt, tie and pink tailored Bermuda shorts yestrrday. This place is NOT sane. God they love their pastels!!

(Sm72)

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 11:01
That look needs to be mirrored by you on the first day of play at home that you can make next season.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
22 September, 2018 11:02
Don't forget the long white socks

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net