cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

MESSAGES->author
Poll: Four Day Player of the 2nd Half
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 00:16

Who was the best CC1 player of the last part of the season

Eddie Byrom
Marcus Trescothick
Ben Green
James Hildreth
Tom Banton
Lewis Gregory
Steve Davies
Jack Leach
Craig Overton
Josh Davey
Jamie Overton
Azhar Ali
Tom Abell
Dom Bess
Tim Groenewald

You must be logged in to vote.

42 Votes

Show results

I've put Tim and Dom in the poll because they did at least play and I think that is all the players who had an input into the last 4 day games. I don't personally expect them to be front runners and one or more of them will move if I have forgotten someone.

This includes all 4 day games from and including the Worcestershire away game smack bang in the T20 tournament.

I'm not getting the usual nagging feeling that I have missed someone out but please let me know if I have.

We will move from this to the Player of the Year and the Championship Player of the Year because we have effectively already had the white ball player by voting on the T20 separately. Was there a one day player who had a significant influence who was not a T20 star as well?

Anyway I'll sort through all that after this poll. Enjoy.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/10/2018 14:05 by Grockle.

Somerset LaLaLa
Re: Poll: Four Day Player of the 2nd Half
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 08:25
Rory Burns? Ah it's best Somerset player

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 10:43
No need for a Player of the Year poll. Who is the only man to have played in every competitive match in all three formats and to have acquitted himself extremely well in all of them?

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 14:18
You'll get your chance for that a little later LoL. Just get this one sorted first please.

(I don't know, they think they own the place..... bah humbug)

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
03 October, 2018 22:44
Pretty much sorted but very close. I'll give it until the end of the weekend and then call it. If you haven't voted you really ought to.

(Sm72)

AG on apple
AG on apple (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 17:03
I'm, frankly, pretty astonished to see batsmen dominating this poll, given how badly the batting failed us when it was really needed in the crunch games.

Can't see the logic myself, at all.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 18:19
I suspect, AG, that votes for Abell may well be as much for his captaincy as for his batting.

BristolRob
RadstockRob (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 19:47
Isn't Tom Abell a bowler?

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 20:42
Well AG, six top six batsmen have received a combined total of zero of the 37 votes cast to date.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 20:59
The period covers wins at Worcester, Headingley and Trent Bridge, where the batsmen did pretty well, as well as the home win v Essex. Sadly the two games where the batting failed persist in the memory bank of some more than others.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 09:58
How generous you are, Bagpuss, to just say that our two bad games `persist in the memory bank of some more than others`.

In fact the truth is, to use a modern political expression, they use them to weaponize their pummelling of Somerset`s batsmen whenever the opportunity arises.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 12:41
Yes unfortunately, for some they are the only games within their memory and will be until it happens again. Everything positive is negated by two bad performances.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 14:57
If you look at our overall figures, Grockle, then you'll find that our batting was, generally, much less of a positive than our bowling, across the season.

And, whether you like or not, CJM, it's a reality that our batting has generally disappointed more often than not over the past several seasons, especially in terms of a propensity to collapse.

Unless and until Somerset can fix that, we'll win nothing, I'm afraid.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 14:59
Here are said figures and they represent, as ever, a less than confidence inspiring set of batting figures:

[stats.espncricinfo.com]

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 15:11
And, in terms of 'being within memory,' Grockle?

Well, if you want to talk recency bias, then I can only assume that that must be what has got Hildreth this quantity of votes.

After all, until his customary ton in the final game of the season, he was averaging all of 29 in the CC games for the part of the season covered by this poll. 137 in the final game, improved it by 10 to 39.

He had a good game at Leeds. And the in the final one at Trent Bridge vs a Notts side with not a great deal to play for. Otherwise? Failures vs Essex, Lancs and Hants and a moderate game (66 runs in 2 innings) vs Surrey.

Tom averaged 35 for the period in question though, as Bobstan says, he may - I guess - have captured some votes for captaincy. He didn't bowl much in the period, but perhaps recency bias is in play there, too, as had those wickets at TB.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 19:51
My goodness, even James H taking stick from AG now for his vote-gathering ability.

Its like war veterans criticizing Vera Lynn.

At least he had the consolation of making the County Championship Division One Team of the Year to keep him warm during the long winter months.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:16
It is not the "candidate," that is being questioned, but rather the sense of the electorate in making the vote, CJM.

As I say, I think a huge recency bias must have been in play... as in the last game counting for much more than the others in the voting period.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 14:14
But of course, like in every vote, people are allowed to make their own decisions whether one person likes the result or not.

Having said that I was split between Josh and Jamie as the players who really came through in these games for me.

We have a tie presently and the vote ends today. Anyone wanna break it or we may have to have a 'vote off'.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 14:18 by Grockle.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 18:01
Yes, both did well.

To be honest, all of the bowlers, bar Dom, did well in the part of the season that this vote is intended to cover.

I was the lone voter for Lewis Gregory:

[www.espncricinfo.com]

280 runs @ 31 (including three fifties and the only person to do anything with bat vs Lancs) and 17 wickets at 20.4 in the games covered by this vote.

I always give disproportionate weight to somebody who either makes a good score when all around them are failing (Lancs game for Lewis) or who takes plenty of wkts when there is little bowling support.

SP - do you still have/use your "scoring system," for these votes? If so, I'd wager that Gregory surely must have come out on top with a batting average of 31 and bowling of 20 over the period?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 18:02 by AGod.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 21:39
Hi AG - well, I usually do (for those with better things to do with their lives, I go through the relevant scorecards and allocate marks for 50s, 100s, wickets and so on, albeit slightly simplistically) - but this time I didn't as I was in a bit if a rush (a beach in France was calling) - so I just went on feel and sentiment in voting for our skipper. Yes, I'm sure Lewis wouldn't have been at or near the top.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 01:05
Ignore stats, vote with your heart.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 01:26
Nothing wrong with that as a rule of thumb

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 14:01
I've been off site due to wifi setup issues for a week or so and see that the stalemate between our 4 day players has not resolved itself with about 65% of voters allocating themselves equally between 2 candidates.

This vote seems to have reached its natural conclusion so I will set up a run off with a two horse race and see if that resolves the deadlock.

(Sm72)

Demon of Frome
Demon of Frome (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 15:40
A Second Referendum? A Final Say?

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 16:19
You're joking ... not another one.

[www.youtube.com]

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 16:37
A kind of "Batxit"

(Sm72)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net