cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will or won't be Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Clarence Parker
Somerset cricket literature.
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 14:07
Several years ago there was a particular thread on Grockles, in which various posters listed all items that they could find on Somerset CCC literature. These included Club histories, Yearbooks, biographies and autobiographies, statistical books and many, many more.

Sadly, well IMO anyway, the thread is now lost in the ether. I may, if I can find time and if other posters would like to contribute themselves, try to resurrect it.

I have very recently received some information from ‘Fairfield Books’ , that wonderful small but select publishing house run by Stephen Chalke in Bath, to the effect that they will be publishing its last books in 2019. I proudly own several of their titles, so am somewhat saddened by this news.

They have six fascinating books in preparation for publication in 2019, and at least two of these might very well appeal to Somerset supporters who take an interest in all things associated with the club in the past, as well as the present. The two books are: -

Fred Rumsey - ‘Sense of Humour, Sense of Justice’ and ;

Brian Rose (with help from Anthony Gibson) – ‘Rosey’

These titles are provisional. I have no idea as to when in 2019 they will be published, but should you be interested, keep a watchful eye out for them.

On the strength of all of Stephen Chalke’s past cricket books, they will be well worth reading.

Wickham
Re: Somerset cricket literature.
Wickham (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 15:23
I completely agree, CP. Stephen Chalke has written some wonderfully evocative books. I knew about the Fred Rumsey book, but not about the Brian Rose one.

Someone recently lent me Frank Lee’s autobiography. Not the most riveting read, but a few interesting passages.

Turning to more recent publications, I can highly recommend all three volumes of the biographies of Somerset cricketers, written by Stephen Hill. A fourth volume is in the course of preparation. The biographies include a lot of fascinating information about the lives of Somerset cricketers - there’s at least one gem on every page. The first volume is akin to a social history. They are good books to have by your bedside: each biography is a story in itself. For anyone interested in the history of Somerset cricket, I suggest that you put these books on your Christmas wish list.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
06 October, 2018 09:34
AS CP so rightly says, Stephen Chalke has an impressive - and hugely entertaining - list of cricket books under his belt, many of them with Somerset themes.

He also operates, though, in one area of cricket literature very rarely attempted - cricket fiction.

One of his subsidiary companies. Charlcombe Books, has recently published `Second XI - More Stories from the World of Cricket`, a second collection of cricket fiction by Bob Cattell, ranging from an armed siege in Australia that isn`t quite what it seems, to a Sherlock Holmes pastiche at The Oval.

It is in paperback at £8, and Charlcombe Books can be contacted at 17 George`s Road, Bath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 09:38 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Demon of Frome
Demon of Frome (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 16:37
Still on a literary theme, Brian Rose is going to be interviewing Mike Brearley as part of the Wells Literary Festival. Friday 26 Oct at 2 pm. Tickets appear to be still available @ £10 or £17.50 to include lunch beforehand.

Details here

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
14 October, 2018 16:03
Resurrecting it rather than trying to find the original may be a sensible way to go Clarence. It may be in the back pages but it may also have been merged into orher things as tends to be the way. One day I must 'garden' the back pages because I am sure there are some gems in the last 20 odd years but there's a lot of dead wood as well.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker
14 October, 2018 20:29
I will try to start to resurrect it in the next few weeks, and hope that other posters will likewise contribute.

I have placed a few relevant keywords in the SN search engine but to no avail. It has helped me out at times in trying to find a particular reference, but I suspect that its capabilities are somewhat limited.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
16 October, 2018 19:38
Well I'm glad it works for you. It hasn't worked for editors for some years.

(Sm72)

Clarence Parker
21 October, 2018 16:04
As previously indicated, I have started to compile a list of items of literature that relate to Somerset CCC.

The list below is by no means exhaustive; there are many, many more references dating back to 1890 that I know of. There are all the Yearbooks, Handbooks, Almanacs, Biographies of players, Statistical, Clubs within the county histories etc.

I will endeavour to add to the following list in due course, but I would welcome contributions from other posters as well, who may be aware of some obscure title.

Anyway, in the meantime, here follows a few to be going on with:-

SOMERSET CRICKET LITERATURE.

Club Histories

Sixty Years of Somerset Cricket – Ron Roberts (1952);
Sunshine, Sixes and Cider – David Foot (1986);
From Sammy to Jimmy – Peter Roebuck (1991)

Sixty Summers – Somerset Cricket since the War – David Foot & Ivan Ponting (2006);
Somerset Cricket – The Glory Years 1973 -1987 – Alain Lockyer / Richard Walsh (2012);
Somerset CCC – The Return to Glory 2001 – 2007 - Alain Lockyer / Richard Walsh (2015);
Somerset Cricketers 1882 – 1914 - Stephen Hill (2016);
Somerset Cricketers 1919 – 1939 – Stephen Hill & Barry Phillips (2017);
Somerset Cricketers 1946 – 1970 – Stephen Hill & Barry Phillips (2018);
Somerset CCC First Class Records 1882 – 1995 – Nigel Johns (1996);
Cricket Grounds of Somerset – Bob Harragan (Association of Cricket Statisticians & Historians) - 2005;
A Century at Bath (Over 100 Years of Somerset County Cricket at the Rec) – Gavin Turner (2001);
Somerset CCC Fifty of the Finest Matches – Eddie Lawrence (2002);
Somerset CCC Fifty of the Finest One Day Matches - Eddie Lawrence (2005);
Somerset CCC 100 Greats – Eddie Lawrence (2001);
Somerset’s Cricketing Clergymen – Eddie Lawrence (c. 2007);
Somerset CCC (Images of Sport) – Somerset Cricket Museum (1999);
A Photographic History of Somerset CCC –1891 – 1991 - Eddie Lawrence (1991);
Somerset County Cricket Scrapbook – Vic Marks (1984);
A Year in the life of Somerset CCC through the eyes of its Chairman – Andy Nash (2013);

(To be Continued)

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 17:45
CP: another for your list is Somerset Cricket: A post-war Who’s Who, David Foot & Ivan Ponting, 1993

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 20:56
... and there are:

Sammy: The Sporting Life of S.M.J.Woods
by
Clifford Jiggens

Memories of Somerset Cricket; People, Matches, Grounds
edited by
David Mills

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Demon of Frome
Demon of Frome (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 10:37
It Never Rains by Peter Roebuck (1984)

Harold Gimblett Tormented Genius of Cricket by David Foot (1982)

Clarence Parker
22 October, 2018 18:21
Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Here is a random list of a few more, some of them going back almost 100 years :-

Facts & Figures of Somerset CCC from 1891 – 1946 (Frank Lee’s Benefit) – R.F. Trump (1947);

Somerset CCC Facts and Figures from 1891 to 1924 – F.J.C. Gustard (1925);

Somerset County Cricket – F.S. Ashley – Cooper (1924);

My Reminiscences – S.M.J. Woods (1925);

Arthur Wellard No Mere Slogger – Barry Phillips (1996);

The Somerset Cricket Quiz book - Robert A Crampsey (1988);

The hand that bowled Bradman – Bill Andrews (1973);

My Incredible Innings – Bill Alley (1969);

Standing the Test of Time - Bill Alley (1999);

I don’t bruise easily – Brian Close (1978);

A Somerset Hero Who Beat the Aussies: The Life and Times of J.C. ‘Farmer’ White – B.A. Tinkler (2000);

Cricket is a game – Colin McCool (1961);

The Best Way to Play Cricket – Colin McCool (1961); Book on coaching;

A village match and after – M.D. Lyon (1929); Cricket Fiction;

There are still many more to be listed.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 19:13
I don't know whether the list should contain biographies of players whose careers extended far beyond Somerset, such as Botham (Dudley Doust) and Richards (Trevor McDonald). I DID suggest the SMJWoods book, for he was very much a one-county man. Similarly, Foot's book on Gimblett, mentioned by the Demon, has to be there.

And then there are the cricket writings of Robertson-Glasgow, "Crusoe on Cricket", which doesn't have much of a Somerset content.

In twenty years from now (when Bobstan and I will still be clinging to a hope of a CC trophy) the list will probably also contain "The Collected Cricket Reports of Farmer White".

And I am looking forward to VJM's biographical sketches of former Somerset players whom he correctly identifies at reunions, "Marks Spots the Ex".

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
24 October, 2018 09:14
David Foot`s `Harold Gimblett Tormented Genius of Cricket` was not just honoured as cricket book of the year, but as sports book of the year - the first time, I think, that a cricket book had won the award.

The second time was Marcus`s autobiography.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2018 09:17 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
29 October, 2018 14:21
A few more:
The Somerset Cricket Quiz Book - Bob Crampsey (1988)

Bats, Pads and Cider - Charles Wood (2011)

Cricket, Lovely Cricket - Frank Lee (1960)

Sometimes I Forgot to Laugh - Peter Roebuck (2004)

It Sort of Clicks - Ian Botham and Peter Roebuck (1986)

From Grace to Botham - David Foot (1980); Portraits of 100 West Country cricketers

Some other David Foot books - e.g. Beyond Bat and Ball - 1993; and Cricket’s Unholy Trinity - 1985 - include pen portraits of one or two Somerset cricketers

Tom Cartwright: The Flame that Burns - Stephen Chalke (2007)

Innumerable Botham books (including biographies by Dudley Doust - 1980; and Don Mosey - 1986 plus fo Richards books ( including an autobiography with David Foot - 1982)

Clarence Parker
30 October, 2018 15:04
There are also: -

Big Bird flying high - Joel Garner (1988);

A Long Half Hour - Stephen Chalke (2010) - Contains very interesting chapters on Ken Biddulph and Eric Hill;

The Charm of Cricket Past and Present - Major C H B Pridham (1949) - Contains a whole Chapter on "Some Somerset Personalities" - Woods, L. Palairet, Hill, Wickham, Roe, Young and White. (One for the keen Historians perhaps.)

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
30 October, 2018 16:27
Fragments of Idolatory - David Foot (2001) has chapters on RC Robertson-Glasgow, Tom Cartwright, Maurice Tremlett and Horace Hazell

Beyond Bat and Ball - David Foot (1993) has chapters on Bill Andrews, Bill Greswell and Tom Richardson (in a chapter sub-titled A Game Too Many, which features TR’s one match for Somerset, against Australia)

RRANDREWS
Old Boy! (IP Logged)
30 October, 2018 19:55
[quote cricketjerry-mouse]David Foot`s `Harold Gimblett Tormented Genius of Cricket` was not just honoured as cricket book of the year, but as sports book of the year - the first time, I think, that a cricket book had won the award.

I agree - David Foot biography on Harold Gimblett was one of the few books I couldn't put down having started to read it. For those too young to know, you HAD to be at the start on time because if Somerset batted first usually the first few balls were smacked for six over extra cover, or sadly sometimes Harold was walking back out first ball!!
Old Boy!

That Bloke With The Dog
30 October, 2018 21:42
There was an article in The Cricketer a few years ago in which various cricket writers nominated their favourite cricket book. Duncan Hamilton chose Foot's biography of Gimblett, making the important point that it's not at all a depressing book, despite its subject matter. He went on to describe how the book made him yearn for Somerset summers and the coloured, quilted landscape of the West Country. (Apologies if I've mis-remembered the exact words.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net