cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Farmer White
'Farmer White' Somerset Cricket Writing - website
Farmer White (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:12
After my report on the last day of the Essex Championship match at Taunton in August a number of posters made very kind comments about my reports and made, or repeated earlier suggestions, that I gather my reports together and put them into a collection.

In response to those suggestions I have started to collect the 2018 match reports and locate them on a website, more accurately a blog. It is early days yet and for me negotiating setting up a website has been rather like the Three Men in a Boat trying to negotiate the Hampton Court Maze. When I started I could use ‘Microsoft Word’ and I could google with the best of them. Beyond that I lived in the information technology dark ages. Which is about 1999. No smart phone and my understanding of a domain address was a castle where the aristocracy lived. Well not quite the latter but you get my drift.

Fortunately, my eldest son, once Padded Up of this parish (my site header photo is one of his), was brought up on a ZX Spectrum from the age of five and knows the difference between a megabyte and a terabyte. Neither, I discovered, is a dinosaur. I might have recognised them and they me if they had been. No matter. My son took pity and got me started with a basic set up. He also explained to me that a widget is a real thing on a website and not something that factories make in maths exams which is what a widget was when I last saw one.

Then Julia W, also of this parish, offered to help and she does know a thing or two about the world of websites into which I was beginning to stumble. Her advice, design ideas and patience in explaining how things work has been invaluable and has made quite a difference to what I have been able to achieve with the final look of the thing. I bet she could have got the three men from the boat out of the maze too if only they had thought to ask her advice.

Somewhere along the way someone suggested photos. Mike TA1, quite a talented parish this, immediately responded to my request by offering any of his photos I wished to use. I have tried to select one or two per post which best illustrate a point in the post. Mike has provided any I have asked for virtually by return.

For away matches the site has had to make do with one or other of the occasional distance photos I have taken when I have remembered to take my pocket camera. Where I forgot my camera or didn’t attend the match I have had to be inventive or not use a photo at all.

The site is titled: ‘Farmer White’ Somerset Cricket Writing. For those interested here is the link:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

And given it was the response on here to my report on the last day of the Essex match which sparked this whole thing off here is the link to that to get you going:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

As to the future any reports I write will appear on ‘grockles’ as they do now and also on the website. I am not going away.

Thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement over the last couple of years. It really does make a difference in the early hours of the morning when I am caught between a bunch of recalcitrant words which will not get themselves organised and the start of the next day’s play rushing at me through what is left of the night.

With thanks

Farmer

Shepton Paul 2
Re: 'Farmer White' Somerset Cricket Writing - website
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:24
Love this. Saved as a favourite to read at leisure during the long winter months ahead...

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 20:28
Thank you SP. And I shall spend the long winter months adding to it...

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:10
Great news FW. Look forward to digesting this over the months ahead.

Next project a book perhaps......?

Grizzzly

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:13
It's officially out in the open Farmer White's site is live.

I have had a look at the site and think you have done an brilliant job.

See if Grockle will add a link to the site on the left hand side.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
09 November, 2018 21:50
Wow. Brilliant news, really great idea. Hope it goes from strength to strength

Rod1883
Rod1883 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 08:41
Superb
Like others, I look forward to dipping in and out of this wonderful repository over the Winter months.
Rod

Kilmainham
Kilmainham (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 10:53
As Somerset supporters we are lucky and privileged to be part of a special club for so many reasons, with a diet of celebrated players and extraordinary games, and we should have no doubt or hesitation in adding to that long list the remarkable and unrivalled match day reports and works of Farmer White.

I, along with many others, have previously posted encouragement to you, Farmer, suggesting you might consider collating your quite brilliant articles and inspirational match day reports into a book, so to discover this morning that you have created a website as a platform to hold your works all in one place is the next best thing.

Thank you Farmer

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 15:50
The plan is to put a link on the left Mike.

Hopefully then during the new season I can link the first part of a Farmer piece to the website and the rest can be followed at leisure on the site as the game and the prose develops.

It solves The problem of the pieces being too large to link to especially during four day games while not needing to restrict Farmer's 'muse' as it goes along

(Sm72)

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 07:54
Well done Farmer...we exiles value your writing enormously

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 09:18
Thank you all for your comments. They really are greatly appreciated.

I am in the midst of a family weekend at present. However I will soon now start gradually to drip feed more reports onto the site through the winter. I will probably go back to the beginning of the season and work forward.

Farmer

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 18:19
I have just explored the site and - as I would expect, given who has been involved - it is excellent in every particular. Many thanks to all - and especially to JCW, of course.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 15:19
Well done Farmer - and indeed Julia and Mike. The website is superb.

I could see a collection in book form selling quite nicely in the shop at the County Ground and other local outlets.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 21:55
Thank you Wickham and Mike. Much appeciated.

Now for a quick update:

I have just posted on FWSCW a slightly, only slightly, amended version of the piece I posted on 'grockles' in the 'End of Days' thread in 2016. The piece about my return from exile.

For anyone who wants a peek it should be the first post that appears when you open the site. Alternatively click on the 'Categories' drop dowm menu on the maroon side panel and click on 'Articles' or find the links to the piece under 'Articles' on the 'Contents' page.

Alternatively just click on this link: [farmerwhite.co.uk]

From Thursday I hope to start posting County Championship match reports starting with the first day of the season (Worcestershire). I then intend to post the second day on Friday and the third day on Saturday so that the reports can be followed in real time as it were.

I will try to do the same for subsequent matches although the gaps between matches will not be in real time. When I reach those already posted I will 're-issue' them in the same way so that if anyone is still on board they can follow through until the end of the season. At least that is the idea. We'll see if I can keep up...

All the posts, once posted, will remain including those already up so serendipitous surfing through the puddles of winter will be possible.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 22:30
I can assure Farmer White that my Somerset CCC umbrella has been seen over many years in Ipswich and other parts of Suffolk. Whether that qualifies under his 'Eastern Marches' banner I am not quite sure. Marches, I thought, were border areas. The parts I frequent border the sea and occasionally (eg Beccles) border the lands of the North Folk, also known as Norfolk.

I shouldn't advise anyone to have a Norwich City umbrella in Leiston, Wickham Market or Debenham, but a Somerset brolly is fine.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 00:25
FWSCW site update:

Just a note to confirm my match reports for the first match of the 2018 season v Worcestershire at Taunton will be posted on my website from today (Thursday) in 'real time' e.g. one per day. They will be posted at 06.00 (GMT for those living beyond the confines of this sceptred isle). At least they will, if the system works - or more to the point if I have managed to work the system!

I have added a 'coming soon' page to the menu bar at the top of the site front page which will also carry this 'news' and other similar in the future.

The Worcs match posts will appear at the top of the home page when they first appear. Once I get to the next match I will move them to the date on which they actually took place and add them to the contents page.

Farmer.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 01:18
Bobstan.

You are quite correct about 'marches' being border lands. The eastern ones start just east of Wincanton. They never end. There is nothing beyond them. Until you get to Simonsbath. Which, for those who head west, is where the western 'marches' start. I thought everyone knew that.

Farmer

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
15 November, 2018 07:44
That does sound a mite restrictive, JCW. I love Somerset, but didn't realise that I should be keeping my equal love for Suffolk a guilty secret! Or indeed the fact that I lived near Bampton for a while.

Parochialism rules apparently - Mrs May may agree. Mrs May may not.

Off to Suffolk in a few days time!

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
18 November, 2018 16:32
FREE TICKET TONIGHT TONIGHT TONIGHT TONIGHT FREE TICKET

EDIT - Leaving now so ticket no longer available as I don't have a smart phone to pick up messages. 17.55.

6.30 p.m. Brendon Books. Bath Place, Taunton.

Graeme Lloyd on his book "Fifty not out. The Six Sixes Revisited." (Garry Sobers' six sixes in an over in 1968).

No idea what the focus is except it includes what happened to the ball which apparently is a bit of a mystery.

Ticket free to the first to PM me. Meet at venue.

Farmer

PS My JC White gates poem from grockles in Oct 2016,'Lament on Hallowe'en'. will appear on my site tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2018 17:51 by Farmer White.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 07:53
For anyone interested...

My website is re-running my reports on Somerset's Championship match against Yorkshire in April. The posts will go up on the site as follows: First day today, second day tomorrow, third day on Friday.

Today: Matthew Renshaw's century before Lunch.

Link to first day report: [farmerwhite.co.uk]

On Thursday and Friday for second and third days try: [farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/11/2018 10:03 by Farmer White.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 10:08
Very interested, it was the best start to a season, we just need to finish in September like that

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 23:54
I have just placed on my website a piece I wrote a couple of years ago. I was certain I had posted it on a thread on here but cannot find it after a quick scroll through the merged threads of the time. Perhaps I omitted to post it.

Title: Memories. Maurice Tremlett Imagined.

Here is the quick link to the piece on my site:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

I have also posted (or re-posted it) on here on the '2018 SCCC Players Old and New' thread.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 00:39
My website is re-running my reports on Somerset's Championship match against Lancashire at Old Trafford at the beginning of May.

The posts will go up on the site as follows:

First day today (Monday).
Second day on Tuesday.
Third day on Wednesday
Final day on Thiursday.

Today: Marcus Trescothick's century and broken metatarsal.

Thursday: Jack Leach's rearguard action with the bat.

The link to my site is here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 02:01
As 'The 100' is confirmed I thought I would put some memories of a different time on my website. I have posted a slightly extended version of a post I put on here two years ago of my memories of the 1974 Gillette Cup semi-final against Kent at Canterbury in the days of the original lime tree.

The post contains a photo of a paperweight I was give at the time of the demise of the tree in January 2005 containing a piece of it.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 00:11
For anyone who wants to go back to the summer I have just started putting up my match reports for the Hampshire Championship match at Taunton. The report for the first day ('A team emerging') has just gone up. Days 2, 3 and 4 will go up 'in real time' as it were. One each early on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

The link to my website homepage is here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Each report will appear on the front page of the homepage as you open the site.

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 00:12 by Farmer White.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 00:18
Hallam Moseley

Just after Christmas 2016 I posted an appreciation of Hallam Moseley on a thread, I think on the John Player League.

I have now expanded it and posted it on my website to start an occasional seres of articles of 'Somerset Legends'.

For anyone interested the link is here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 18:40
Thanks FW for a lovely article about a lovely man.

Grizzzly

Sloop John B
Sloop John B (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 09:24
Thanks Farmer. That has warmed a quiet winter Sunday. It hits the spot with my own memories of Hallam. Such a lovely bloke as well as fine cricketer.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 15:55
Thank you Farmer, and thank you Hallam. It was the smile. The windmill bowling action. And the throw. But, for me, mainly, the throw.

Farmer White
Farmer White (IP Logged)
10 December, 2018 00:44
Thanks all. Those memories just endure.

And now...

Starting today (Monday) my reports on the Nottinghamshire CC match at Taunton in June in which Somerset moved top of the table albeit only until the next match at Guildford. The reports will go up one per day until Thursday.

Another Matt Renshaw century on the first day, a phenomenal short spell from Craig Overton on the second day and an unbearably tense fourth day.

Hopefully this link will work on each of the four days...

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net