cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. Somerset will be once more looking to become Champions of the CC1 in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

mikeindex
first-ball sixes?
mikeindex (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 19:31
Someone on the Ask Steven Facebook page has asked for instances of sixes being hit off the first ball of a first-class match (other than the single instance in Tests). I'm sure Harold Gimblett must have done it but I haven't so far managed to trace a specific documented instance - can anyone here speak to one, by the great Harold or indeed by anyone else (I certainly wouldn't put it past Marcus)?

Loyal of Lhasa
Re: first-ball sixes?
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
16 February, 2019 20:57
There was a young Essex batsman called Peter Spicer who made his debut at Taunton in 1962. Whether it was generosity to a new boy or not, I do not know, but C R M Atkinson bowled him a juicy ball to get him started and he gladly hit it for six. My mum was there to see it. The story did not have a happy ending, for a few years later Spicer, who never established a firm place in the Essex first eleven, was killed in a car accident.

I am sure that Gimblett hit the first ball of a match for six more than once and that I saw him do it, though time will not allow me to trawl through all the records until I have finished reading the two hundred books groaning on my shelves.

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 08:57
I know nothing of first-ball sixes, sorry mike - but surely shelves groan, not the books themselves?

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 10:18
I haven't looked up the match in question yet, but I saw the West Indian batsman Conrad Hunte hook the first ball of the match delivered by Fred Rumsey, into the Churcchyard at Taunton for SIX.

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 10:30
SP2: I didn't know transferred epithets were not allowed on this site!

LoL

Seventy Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 13:27
I haven't been present to see a six off the first ball of a match, but at The Oval I saw Peter May hit our Ken Biddulph for six off the first ball of the day. It was played over long on. In those days the boundary there was the longest in this country.

I did want to call it a Maximum, but I know that some Himalayan folk are not keen on this term. Quite rightly, I have to admit.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 14:04
That would be 1966, CP, when Conrad Hunte scores 206. Wisden records that the innings contained two sixes, but doesn’t mention that one was from the first ball of the match.

I remember that the whole ground appearsed to shake when Fred Ramsey dived full length at first slip to catch Hunte off the bowling of Colin Atkinson. Everyone present - none more, I suspect than Rumsey himself - was astonished that Fred not only dived, but that he held on to the ball.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
17 February, 2019 16:41
Thanks CP. I remember that match extremely well, for all sorts of reasons - I think it was my selection for a Memorable Scorecards thread here a couple of years ago - and I well remember that shot by Conrad.
I don't recall it being the first ball of the match, which is not to say you're wrong (I was only nine).
Fred Rumsey's Dwayne Leverock moment is another treasured memory.
Conrad used to get further inside the line of the ball when hooking than anyone else and consequently hit it practically over his own shoulder and almost over the WK's head; I believe he did the same to Fred Trueman in the celebrated Lord's Test of 1963. I've seen a few sixes hit into the churchyard from the river end since then, but never another from the pavilion end (possibly I should watch more 20-20, or possibly not).
Conrad's other great distinction is opening the innings with Marcus for my Nice Chaps XI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2019 19:41 by mikeindex.

Bobstan
Bobstan (IP Logged)
18 February, 2019 09:06
Can't afford transferred epithets any longer, LoL. The fees have got ridiculous.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net