cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

Many thanks to the Mighty Alexander Davidson for the montage. WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles. My next live cricket at Taunton after the Kent game will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
MESSAGES->author
Jamie out on loan as well to Northants
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:05
Hmmm interesting policy move. Will read the press release and come back. He will be available for Lord's

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2019 14:34 by Grockle.

btry1
Re: Jamie out on loan as well to Northants
btry1 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:13
why have they done this
he was just getting back into his rhythm and bowling well
thankfully he will still be available for thefinal

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:16
Email from the club.

Jamie to Join Northants on Loan

Somerset fast bowler Jamie Overton will be joining Northamptonshire County Cricket Club on a one-month loan deal.

The arrangement will run from May 14th to June 13th and means that Jamie will be available for Northamptonshire’s Specsavers County Championship matches against Lancashire, Sussex, Glamorgan and Durham.

However, he will be available for Somerset’s Royal London On-Day Cup final against Hampshire at Lord’s on May 25th.

After announcing the deal Somerset Director of Cricket, Andy Hurry said: “Since working his way back from an early season injury, Jamie has recently and successfully returned to First XI action in the Royal London One-Day Cup. We’ve made an impressive start to this year’s County Championship, and whilst Jamie is certainly in contention for selection, we can’t guarantee him a starting place at present.

“Therefore, we feel that both he and the Club would benefit from him playing competitive First XI red-ball cricket.

“As I’ve stated previously, it’s important to us as a Club to ensure that we are providing opportunities that support our player’s needs whilst considering our Club’s mid-term needs.

“The terms of this loan agreement will enable Jamie to be available for selection for the Royal London One-Day Cup final and return to Somerset if we incur an injury to one of our seamers.”

After agreeing the move, Jamie said: “Obviously, I’m hungry to be playing First XI cricket and currently opportunities are limited. When the opportunity to play First XI Championship cricket at Northants came about, I felt it was a great chance for me to show what I can do. After this loan period I’ll return to Taunton and I look forward to contributing to winning games for Somerset.”

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:36
Slightly curious move for SCCC, less so for Jamie I guess.

I said a couple of times across the winter that with the signing of JB, it was going to take the judgement of Solomon to keep all of our bowlers happy.

Not sure what to make of this to be honest.

Can't think that wsm will be too happy !

Grizzzly

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:40
No WSM is far from happy.

Absolutely crazy decision and completely unnecessary.

We added Brooks to make a stronger bowling unit of 6 quicks (7 if we include Meeks)

But the management are failing to treat it as a bowling unit & manage it correctly.

I can name 10 or 11 seamers for Surrey & they manage that fine.

Our loss is very much Northants gain.
Cant imagine his twin brother is overly chuffed either.

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:50
Although it is obviously a good move for Jamie to get some first team red ball bowling, it does have one downside for Somerset.

With the choice now between Tim Groenewald, Jack Brooks, Josh Davey and Jack Leach to fill the 9, 10 and 11 batting spots, the tail against Surrey this week and Warwickshire next will look a little more exposed than if Jamie had been under consideration.

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 11:54
Had heard rumblings but now glad that it is out.

Good move by Somerset IMO

If Northants can make something of him, then all well and good, but I am somewhat doubtful.

Edited after poster complaints about manner of post.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 19:01 by Grockle.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:06
Very disappointed about this news, there's no greater sight than seeing both the Overton's playing in the same county match.

It looks almost like the signing policy of the club has gone wrong, if signing extra bowlers was because they thought that some of our players would be playing for England then that has backfired.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:20
I do not like this decision. I'd have had Jamie in the team against Surrey, and even if he's not to play in this particular one I'm distinctly doubtful about sending out the message to any player in serious first-team contention that he's not required (besides which I have distinct reservations about the whole loan system).

But since the system is in place, and if those who make these decisions have decided (wrongly in my view) that Jamie isn't required for the time being, I guess it's better for him to be getting time in the middle against Div2 first-team batsmen than against 2nd-teamers, and at least it won't affect our Championship position.

One concern I do not share is about our lower-order batting - any team with three of Davey/Groenewald/Leach/Brooks at 9-10-11 has no problems in that area!
I recall a Somerset bottom three of Moseley, Jones and Clapp...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2019 12:26 by mikeindex.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:25
I fully support the club’s move. No point Jamie kicking his heels in the twos and so, if management don’t yet think him up to speed for the ones, it makes sense to use the loan system.

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:28
Must agree AGod.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:30
I don’t agree, CJM, about the batting. In red ball cricket, TG, Jack and Josh are all fully capable with the bat and Brooks has a first-class ton.

There is very little to choose in batting between any of those four and Jamie Overton.

However, I will make one point about Jason Kerr that I have been thinking about in relation to not picking Jack Leach for 50 over stuff: It may be that, as a medium fast bowler himself, Jason Kerr has a sub-conscious bias in favour of that type of bowler - hence lots of similar style bowlers in the side for white ball, and at the front of the queue, apparently, in red ball.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:38
Here are the records, CJM. Only Leachy, who is not in direct competition, really, with Jamie, has a materially different batting record to Jamie:

Tim 18.34

Josh 17.55

Brooks 17.30

Jamie 17.28

Leachy 11.75

Ergo... unless the choice were between Jamie and Leachy (and to hell with the idea of a zero spinner attack!) then it makes no difference, whatsoever, to the batting.

It’s not as though we’d be picking Charl or Kirby or Mendis!

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:48
I'm fine with this, overall. Although I have similar reservations as mikeindex (with whom I am usually in silent agreement on just about everything) about loaning to other first division counties, if Jove ain't gonna play, then get him experience and yards in his legs elsewhere.

As I put on the Facebook thread, and have often felt about those criticising such decisions on here: how dare those who are involved every day in training, practice, strategy and player management, and have got Somerset to the top of the championship as well as the cup final, think they know better than us spectators.

Having said that, I may well have played Jamie tomorrow.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 12:54
If the pitch for tomorrow is expected to be very flat, then I’d have gambled on Jamie. If not, I wouldn’t have done.

However, it should be pointed out that, so far as I know, Jamie has had very, very little red ball cricket since his injury (if any?) and so his match fitness - in terms of several spells of, perhaps, 5 or 6 overs apiece in a day is not currently proven. I would assume that the deal with Northants says ‘if you don’t pick him, we’ll cancel the deal,’ therefore, either Jamie will get those miles in his legs at Northants, or he’ll be back here anyway.

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 14:14
It seems to me that the 'problem' the club have at present is that all the bowlers are fit.

In other seasons we would often have one or more injured/carrying knocks by now so there would not have been so much competition for places.

I don't like the idea of our players going off to play for other counties but I do feel that is better than them to be playing at the highest level possible rather than playing for the seconds.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 14:31
It actually is not a bad point at all Julia. We usually have a niggle or two and an Overton on the table. That is not the case and we have a large percentage in form.

Attitude? Jamie's attitude has always been fine in games I've seen him play. Sometimes he is so desperate to do well his enthusiasm for playing has to be calmed a little. He has worked on this to make sure it does not get into his actual bowling and now controls that much better than when he was younger.

His fielding could not show more commitment (and his brother is as good), it was commented on by the Notts commentary team on Sunday comparing him with the lackluster Harry Gurney

We also got the Overton's adding the cream to a really good team performance with their 41 run partnership to take the county over 300 to secure a score the home team could not match.

Getting them CC action may become important later, especially if they are not seen as a major factor in our T20 campaign and may have a longish layoff in July because of that.

It just seems to be a strange time to do it with the present fixtures in place. Obviously Brooks seems to be expected to feature heavily in these next few games so they are looking to keep Jamie sharp and get some overs under his belt.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 19:03 by Grockle.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 14:47
Not quite all fit - Van Meekeren is currently on the sidelines. I think he’s expected back by the end of June.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 15:22
I don't classify him as figuring in the team selections at the moment to be honest AG. A little like Dom in some aspects PvK has yet to appear on my 'watch him' radar particularly in the last season or so.

I know he has been injured and I hope he comes back strong but he's down my own particular list a way with the present level of fit bowlers to choose from.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 15:41
Quote:
Tom Seymour
Had heard rumblings but now glad that it is out...….At times you couldn't make it up.

But there are also those other times of course (Sm160)

Welcome back Tom... where have you been? Such exciting things have been happening.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 16:23
The club statement suggests it was them that initiated the move and Jamie agreed.

Not sure now what to expect next. To me the Overtons and Somerset are integral.

I wonder what Jamie and Dom really feel about their future at the club?

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 16:55
They may be apprenhensive and it may be that management don’t 100 percent believe in either guy.... but there’s a good chance that some of our pacemen will get injured later on in the season, and Jack may play an Ashes Test or two. So the club may yet need both men.

There’s also a good chance that ‘there’s nothing to see here,’ and that this decision is more reflective of a lack of faith in the strength of second XI cricket (and, thus, its ability to keep folks sharp, should they be needed for first team action).

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 17:05
I don't think there is any reason to worry Somerset LLL. My impression is that despite some comments that appear here (and only here I believe) there is absolutely nothing wrong with the commitment and desire for either bowler to play for the county and this is just a way of keeping the engines tuned so that when they are needed they are ready.

There are those bowlers who are kept fit and mobile by bowling. If Mr. AR Caddick had not had games coming up I would imagine he would have gone looking for places to bowl and that seems to be what is happening here.

A fit Jamie Overton may need the same and anything that keeps him in that particular situation really ought to be seen as positive in relation to future matches. Meanwhile, Mr. Bess getting the opportunity to update his 'guile' meter also can't do us, or him, any harm at all.

(Sm72)

Somerset LaLaLa
13 May, 2019 18:06
Purely hypothetically, if Jamie is certain to play in every red ball game for Northants (when fit) because of a lack of options there, would he not be tempted to stay? Especially if/as he will make a huge impact and get more noticed by our friends at the ECB and become more desirable for the 100 thing

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 18:26
But is Jamie certain to play in every red ball game for Northants though, Somerset LLL? They have also announced a second loan signing today - Nottinghamshire quickie Luke Wood, who was in the squad to play Somerset in yesterday`s semi-final, but didn`t make it into the final 11.

Also proof today that even long-term loan spell can quickly be undone. Tom Lace, a 20-year-old Middlesex batsman on a year loan to Derbyshire, was recalled to Lord`s today after just two matches, as the `Sex are suddenly short of top-order batters.

Sloop John B
Sloop John B (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 18:26
An I alone in finding Tom Seymours character assassination of the Overtones twins obscene?

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 18:57
No you are not alone Sloop John B.

I believe Tom has been asked before what his issue is with them with no explanation given.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion of a players cricketing abilities. Different types of players are prefered or not by us all.
Both Overtons bleed Somerset. Their passion effort desire on the field is evident for all to see.

If they on occasion let out a grunt, a naughty word etc it is because they care so much.

We have invested years in these 2 along with Lewis Jack Dom Tom George etc.
WE need to be reaping the rewards of that & benefitting from our homegrown players loyalty & passion for OUR county.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 19:10
I'm pretty sure that Luke Wood has already been on loan at Northants this season - played the first game, but then had to be recalled to play against us, at Trent Bridge.

So Northants certainly like Luke.

Not sure what their other resources are, these days, bar Luke and Jamie O. But I'd imagine that Mr Hurry would take a dim view of it if Jamie goes there and isn't extensively used ... and Northants would need to take that into account, should they wish to borrow any other SCCC player in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2019 19:17 by AGod.

Wickham
Wickham (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 19:13
No you’re not, SJB. Both ridiculous and unacceptable, in my view.

Somerset LaLaLa
13 May, 2019 20:30
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that Northants were 3 seamers down. Then there was that batting practice game versus Glamorgan where wickets were a rarity. He's now in my fantasy cricket team, so he better play!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net