Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
White Clothing Red Ball Surrey CC1 Taunton
Discussion started by Grockles.com (IP Logged), 15 May, 2019 13:13
Grockles.com
Grockles.com
15 May, 2019 13:13
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2019 14:35 by Grockle.

mikeindex
mikeindex
10 May, 2019 18:24
Wittier thread titles welcomed!
So, whom do we pick? Presumably Steve D is still first-choice keeper in the long game and it's hard to see how Tom B can force his way in just yet. Marcus will keep his place for at least one more game - I have to say, with a heavy heart, a poor one should see him left out next time - which actually makes it a simple case of picking two from Jamie O, Tim G, Jack B and Josh.
I'd go for JO and JD - but then again, I'd have dropped Tom B for the Surrey 50-over game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 19:47 by Grockle.

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe
10 May, 2019 18:35
Marcus is having trouble keeping on his feet these days.

Ollie Sale Twitter account

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse
10 May, 2019 19:32
Surrey hoped to give Mornie Morkel a run-out with the Seconds in a friendly against MCC Young Cricketers yesterday, but the match was rained off before he could get a bowl.

They do have several players on the verge of being fit again - including Scott Borthwick and Amar Virdi. Rickie Clarke, so often a thorn in Somerset`s side is unlikely to make it by Tuesday, but Sam Curran will be home from the IPL now his franchise has been eliminated.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
10 May, 2019 19:50
Really? Isn't there another franchise somewhere else in the world he can join?

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Bagpuss
12 May, 2019 12:16
ECB to rest Sam Curran following his return from the IPL. Will be unavailable for Surrey in this week's championship match

Loyal of Lhasa
Loyal of Lhasa
12 May, 2019 12:29
I suppose bowling about eight overs a week must be quite exhausting...

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

MESSAGES->author
Bagpuss
12 May, 2019 12:34
Not as exhausting as working your way through the intricacies of an Indian airport to fly home. Though I dare say his queues were shorter than mine usually were!

AGod
AGod
12 May, 2019 12:45
Stupid call by England. Absurd.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
12 May, 2019 12:58
Very true. How sad. What a shame.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly
12 May, 2019 19:01
Oh dear, what a pity, how sad, never mind.

As the recently departed Windsor Davies would no doubt have said.

Grizzzly

AGod
AGod
12 May, 2019 19:11
We can hope that Morne M might be a little undercooked.

Thinking about what LaLaLa said, I guess what was meant was a possible lack of focus, with a big final coming, rather than a lack of motivation. I'm sure it's something that AH and JK will be keen to guard against. But perhaps it would be as well to make quite a few changes for the red ball game, not simply to freshen things up, as Grockle suggested, but to ensure that we have fewer players who might, just might, be tempted to look ahead to a day out at Lord's.

Trescothick has no chance of being selected for said final. Brooks has a limited chance only. The GREAT Jack Leach, very sadly, apparently no chance. Steve Davies, presumably a limited chance...although Davies might just think that if he can show really well in the red ball games before Lord's then maybe, just maybe, he might manage to usurp George Bartlett (which might leave Tom B free to concentrate on his batting?)... I wouldn't be all that surprised if Davies goes like gangbusters against his former county in the CC, precisely for that reason.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2
12 May, 2019 21:45
The way Tim G was being put through his paces I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was given a run-out v Surrey on Tuesday. LG and CO especially must be due a break (don't know what there is between this Surrey game and the final on the 25th).

geordie moonraker
geordie moonraker
13 May, 2019 09:00
We have Surrey this week ( Tues-Fri) and Warwick at Taunton next Mon -Thurs. Hants travel to Edgabaston this week and have Notts on the Isle of Wight next week. Our lads are giving their all by the ways things are going. We had our little blip but it seems that when one has an off day someone else steps up and from afar the fielding intensity (and running between wickets) sounds immense.

mikeindex
mikeindex
13 May, 2019 11:56
Quote:
AGod
I wouldn't be all that surprised if Davies goes like gangbusters against his former county in the CC, precisely for that reason.

Have to say I'm a bit disturbed by any suggestion that a player might "go like gangbusters" in any specific match, suggesting by implication that he doesn't/wouldn't put in full effort at other times.

AGod
AGod
13 May, 2019 12:44
In real life there are always occasions when some players find a little extra motivation in certain situations - for example playing against a former County (which also happens to apply in this case), playing against a County who previously rejected you... or even country (e.g Caddick vs New Zealand). It’s no different to the idea of bowlers having spells where they Bowl within themselves and then others where they let rip, pace wise, depending on match situation, sight of opponent they don’t like etc.

If being dropped from white ball hasn’t given S Davies some extra motivation, then I’d be worried. Same with Bess and Jove being told that they are, temporarily, surplus to requirements in red ball.

mikeindex
mikeindex
13 May, 2019 13:06
Quote:
Shepton Paul 2
The way Tim G was being put through his paces I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was given a run-out v Surrey on Tuesday. LG and CO especially must be due a break (don't know what there is between this Surrey game and the final on the 25th).

I'd say it was absolutely essential that we play our best Championship side this week, on general principles because a) the Championship is the one we most want to win and b) this is what you're supposed to do anyway, but even more because of our current place in the table and the awareness that, if we are still in contention come September, Surrey will probably be among our closest rivals.
Lewis and Craig have both been outstanding in both competitions and they must play. If they are "due a break" they will have ample opportunity later in the season. Neither has bowled anything like as many overs in the last few weeks as Trueman or Statham would have done in a corresponding period (as Trueman would have been the first to point out) - though they may have put in a bit more in the batting line.
In Jamie's absence I would go for Josh and Jack B, but the management may have different ideas - anyway Tim G keeping fully fit and in practice is obviously desirable as he may be needed at any time.

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2
13 May, 2019 13:16
I agree, mike, that we should play our best team in the CC and, all other things being equal, Lewis and Craig really should play - but workload is a consideration. Looks to me that our squad for tomorrow is a big one, and perming eleven from this lot is anyone's guess:

Tres
Byrom
Ali
Hildreth
Abell
Banton
Davies
Gregory
Coverton
Leach
Brooks
Bartlett
Groeneweld
Green
...and maybe others I've forgotten.

My XI would be the first eleven listed above.

AGod
AGod
13 May, 2019 13:54
SP - What on earth would George Bartlett have done to merit exclusion from your CC XI?

AGod
AGod
13 May, 2019 13:59
Mikeindex - with the stress fracture history of both Lewis and Cove, I think management would be right to consider managing them over the course of the season. I completely understand the notion that, theoretically, they could rest later in the season... but theoretically is the key word there... for example.... both Jamie Overton and Jack Brooks have hugely questionable fitness records. Brooks is fit now... but he may very well not be, later in the season, when the likes of LG and Cove need a rest. Likewise, Jamie O is not currently injured, but may very well be later in the season. At the present time then, IF management is desired, they could field one of LG or Cove, Brooks, Josh and Tim. Later in the year, with every chance of Brooks and Jamie being unavailable, we may have less scope?

Shepton Paul 2
Shepton Paul 2
13 May, 2019 14:14
I forgot Davey who, like George, would be very unlucky to be left out. My point was: not an easy team to select!

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse
13 May, 2019 15:01
Rikki Clarke, often something of a thorn in Somerset`s side, returns to the 14-strong Surrey squad for tomorrow`s county championship clash, after recovering from an open-finger injury.

Scott Borthwick, back after a side injury, is included for the first time this season, and Surrey include two spinning options our old friend Gareth Batty and slow left-armer Freddy van den Bergh.

Squad: Burns (c), Batty, Borthwick, Clarke, Elgar, Foakes, Jacks, McKerr, Meaker, Morkel, Patel, Smith, Stoneman, van den Bergh.

AGod
AGod
13 May, 2019 15:18
Difficult to select? Perhaps SP, but I’d have thought selecting a man who made a big ton last time out in red ball would be one of the easier ‘selection dilemmas’!?

Perhaps there’s an argument to be had, in terms of Davies Vs Banton but I can’t see how the latter can move ahead of George B for this next game.

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa
13 May, 2019 17:15
13-man squad: Tom Abell (c), Azhar Ali, Tom Banton, George Bartlett, Jack Brooks, Josh Davey, Steve Davies, Lewis Gregory, Tim Groenewald, James Hildreth, Jack Leach, Craig Overton and Marcus Trescothick

Who will be omitted?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
13 May, 2019 17:25
Omitted or rested I suppose. Though would you include people you expected to rest? I suppose so in order to not telegraph absences to the opposition. I would expect Brooks to play given the decision regarding Jove. Davies or Banton must be one decision. Jack will most likely play (though that could be a late decision I suppose) and he would take a seam bowlers place.

Abell, Ali, Trescothick, Hildreth, Brooks, Groenewald will probably play so it's rest or perm from those left

Can't see them resting both Davey and Cove. Lewis rested would mean George would be a definite I'd expect.

(Sm72)

wsm fan
wsm fan
13 May, 2019 18:02
Banton & TimmyG will be the ones left out.
They will go with the same team as the last red ball win at Trent Bridge in April

AGod
AGod
13 May, 2019 19:07
Yes, I suspect that's right, WSM.

If we were planning on a rotation policy for the seamers then it's likely that Jamie would not have been loaned to Northants.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper
13 May, 2019 22:54
Personality I'd leave out Tim and Banger and play Banton as an opener. This is a big game.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
14 May, 2019 01:18
I wouldn't be far behind you Scrumper. Willing to give Banger one more but only because Tom Lammomby hasn't moved up yet. Marcus needs a good score.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod
14 May, 2019 09:46
Marcus is, of course, but one piece of that top three puzzle.

We have him, Azhar who, so far as I know, is on a one-year deal and James Hildreth, currently batting out of position in the hope of an England place.

Lower down the order, we have Tom A, who used to be a top three player and George B who has also batted up there at three and, at times, done a good job up there (think partnership with Renshaw vs Yorkshire last year).

Hovering around, we have Eddie B, who has shown the ability to bat time (valuable in protecting those to come) but not yet managed to capitalise with hundreds. I think both the talent and temperament are there, personally.

Then there's Ben Green, who I believe made a ton for the seconds the other day. More pertinently, Green showed quite a lot of composure in amongst the headless chicken antics of his colleagues in the debacle of a tie (72 all out, or whatever it was) vs Lancs, in last year's title chase.

And there are high hopes for Lammonby.

So it's a complex picture, with lots of moving parts. Through two games, the existing top three line-up has made very few runs. Perhaps conditions will be flatter today? Regardless, Mr Morkel looms and McKerr looked good against us in the white ball stuff.

The task for Jason and Andy is to balance current performance with the need to develop the top of the order for the future. IN theory, that's a tough juggling act... but - if the more experienced men in those positions fail to perform, then the tension between "current performance and future potential," diminishes somewhat, does it not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 09:52 by AGod.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

This Thread has been closed