cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10
cricketjerry-mouse
Tears for Fears at Canterbury?
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
08 June, 2019 14:59
Kent have signed Middlesex off-spinner Ollie Rayner on an eight-match county championship loan. But he does not arrive until June 17 so will miss Monday`s match with Somerset at Canterbury.

The only spinner in their 12-man squad for Monday is stand-in captain Joe Denly. They have added Australian-born quickie Grant Stewart to the side who lost to Essex, so Somerset can expect a wicket slanted towards the seamers.

Squad: Denly (c), Bell-Drummond, Claydon, Crawley, Dickson, Kuhn, Milnes, Mulder, Podmore, Robinson, Stevens, Stewart.

The next event at the Canterbury ground after the Somerset match is a concert by Tears for Fears. I wonder who will be crying the most?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 16/06/2019 00:08 by Grockle.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Tears for Fears at Canterbury?
Scrumper (IP Logged)
08 June, 2019 16:38
BBC forecast for Canterbury...

Yellow warning of rain
Updated 8 June at 11:06 BST
From
12:00 BST on Mon 10 June
To
23:59 BST on Tue 11 June

There is a chance that heavy prolonged rainfall could lead to local flooding and disruption to transport.

- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings

- Where flooding occurs, there is a slight chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services

- Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures

- There is a small chance that some communities become cut off by flooded roads

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
08 June, 2019 20:29
Thanks Scrumper.

After negotiating a weekend away in Kent with Mrs Grizzzly, in return for a day at the cricket at Canterbury on Monday, it now looks as if I’m about to get the soggy side of the deal !

Pah !!

Grizzzly

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
08 June, 2019 22:38
Tears for Bears

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 08:26
Drizzzly for Grizzzly

skittler
skittler (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 08:57
After that wonderful day at Lords, I, like most of us, am now dreaming of winning CC1. I do think that we have the squad to do it. However a word of caution. After this next game at Canterbury, we will have played all of our 6 games against the bottom 4 in the table. The real challenge will start at Chelmsford. Come on boys, I know you can do it!

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 09:23
Quote:
Bagpuss
Drizzzly for Grizzzly

Very good Baggers !

:-)

Grizzzly

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 11:08
Div1 have all played 5 each.
A big reason the bottom 4 are there is because WE have beaten them! If we had played the other 3 they'd be down there too!
We are top on merit.
We have beaten last years winners away and had a winning draw versus them at home.
There is nothing to fear from the 3 beneath us.
Keep doing what we are doing.
We are sure to have a blip or bad luck with weather at some point.
Huge 6 weeks coming up now. 5 matches so by July16 we will.be through 10 of 14.
If the table looks like it does today (or better) then we can really start to get excited.

MESSAGES->author
JuliaW (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 11:11
That was good Bagpuss!

I'm already in Canterbury and it is certainly not cricket weather. Dry here at the moment but big clouds rolling in so expecting rain soon.

Probably the best we can hope for here is a rain affected draw and as many batting/bowling points as possible.

I have though found a local pub with the most excellent cheesecake so all is not lost!

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 11:28
Our performances can improve as well.

I'm happy for our bowlers to go by wsm's "just keep doing what we are doing"

Out batsmen can do better and may have to if this is to be THE Championship season we all hope for.

(Sm72)

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 11:32
wsm, thinking the same as you in your last post, our future match, the teams we play must be thinking the same thing, although with only one team going down most will be safe.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 11:39
We have achieved the most fundamental requirement of this season in avoiding relegation as a non urban provincial side.

But if we really want to be the grit in the ECB ointment then being 2019 CC1 Champions would be the best result possible.

It would not be impossible for them to marginalise the game even further but it would make the 'all city based' agenda they most assuredly have for the future a little harder to achieve

(Sm72)

Mike BOS
Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 12:03
It has now been said.

Jason Kerr admits to facing one of the toughest cricketing decisions of his life before Somerset’s Specsavers County Championship match against Kent at Canterbury, starting on Monday. [www.thecricketer.com]

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 12:24
Thanks for the link Mike.

I’m sure that article is one which most people would never wish to read, but it’s a pretty accurate assessment by JK.

No doubt posters who regularly berate anyone for even mentioning that we are capable of better performances with the bat, will be in contact with Mr Kerr forthwith !

A very difficult decision though.

Grizzzly

Sloop John B
Sloop John B (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 12:26
All credit to Jason for being willing to voice his views on Tres' form. Sentiment cannot play a part in the decision tomorrow.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 13:57
Whilst I don’t believe there should be any question of risking him vs Kent, the fantastic news, from that piece, is that LG is ALREADY back in contention!

If I were Jason Kerr, I’d seriously consider recusing myself from the Marcus decision and leave it in the hands of Andy and Tom.

One possibility: If tomorrow is a complete wash-out, then Somerset might do what they did in the first game, and leave Leachy out?

That would effectively kick the Tres can down the road, as we’d go in with 7 batsmen and 4 pacemen (plus Tom). It would also mean less need to consider risking LG to balance side.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 14:34
Same squad of 13 just Lewis IN Marcus OUT

Azhar to open.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 15:01 by wsm fan.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 14:58
Seems a decision has been made. Who will open with Azhar then?

I sincerely hope this is not the end and that Banger gets his radar working again in the next couple of weeks. He just needs some flaming runs under his belt I hope.

(Sm72)

cricketjerry-mouse
09 June, 2019 15:02
It is not the same squad of 13 apart from Marcus, as Lewis Gregory is now available for selection and is included.

With rain of varying intensity forecast for all four days however - and hence difficult bowlers` run-ups (or is it runs-up?) - I would give him another two weeks to recover, as Somerset miss the next round of matches and don`t play again until Essex away on June 23.

You can still rest Jack Leach also, if the rain persists, and give Tom Lammonby a well-deserved debut.

Squad: Abell (c), Azhar Ali, Banton, Bartlett, Brooks, Gregory, Groenewald, Hildreth, Lammonby, Davies. Leach, C. Overton, J Overton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 15:07 by cricketjerry-mouse.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 15:33
So, there we are. I think it's the right decision but it still makes me terribly sad.

I think I'd have Tom B opening with George at 3, though how any distribution of Tom, Tom and George between 2, 3 and 5 is likely to work as well as any other. James has to revert to 4.

If Lewis is anything less than 100% I'd rather give him a bit more rest than risk a relapse, particularly, as you say CJM, if conditions are likely to be treacherous underfoot.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 16:02
I want James to revert to 4 but, having made good 2nd innings runs at Guildford, he will surely be feeling encouraged and so will stand his ground in wanting to bat 3?

I’d rather Tom A have another go at opening, this time with Azhar, and that Tom B have more licence to go for his shots in the middle-order.

Apart from anything else, I’d still like to see Tom A’s future at the top of the order.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 16:12
Debut for Lammomby? Get him in during a game that may not go the full time. He is surely the hoped replacement in the top order with Eddie Give the their heads while the experience is still there. I'd go Lammomby, Ali, Abell, Hildreth, Bartlett, Banton. I'd really wanna see that work.

(Sm72)

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 16:54
Grockle, does your XI continue with Davies at 7 or are you giving Tom B the gloves?

I've never seen Tom Lammonby, who certainly has a most impressive record in the 2nds this year, but I'm slightly surprised at his having overtaken Eddie Byrom in the pecking order - or is Eddie injured?

I think I'd want a full hand of bowlers to squeeze any possible hope of a result out of what's almost certain to be a rain-interrupted match.

cricketjerry-mouse
09 June, 2019 16:57
Still diabolical Canterbury weather forecast for tomorrow, but looking slightly less threatening for the other three days.

Fortunately Somerset will have the opportunity to dictate the pace of the match by fielding first.

mikeindex
mikeindex (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 17:00
Actually, if it looks like it's going to swing on the first morning (of however many), maybe we should risk Lewis even if he's only 98%.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 17:22
A good question MikeIndex. It would depend on Lewis. If they have him in then Steve would miss out or Steve at 7 and possibly Tom A as 4th seamer.

Whatever Steve's merits as a keeper and they are there, He is the short to medium option in this side.

I'm not sure Tom B is the long term solution to keeper but he is the medium term option, especially if the medium term (After Azhar goes and James moves out) also needs to get Eddie into this line-up.

My information is that Lammomby is THE new batsman. So blooding him is important and he seems ready. Eddie is not, in my opinion, the partner for Azhar. He's more the partner for a new strokemaker.

(Sm72)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 17:26 by Grockle.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 17:50
Davies will play, as he should.
Lammonby will not.
It's a straight decision as to if Lewis returns, and if he does is it Gronners or Jamie he displaces.

For me there is just no neex to bring Lewis back. All 4 seamers at Guildford earnt another go at Canterbury. Craig got a crucial 40 odd at 7.
With another week off next then 4 matches in 29 days lets make sure we have 5 (6 when Josh recivers) seamers so get us through this HUGE 6 weeks of champo action.

Cleavo
Cleavo (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 19:34
Davies is the best wicketkeeper, so has to play.

I agree WSM fan no need to rush Lewis back at this stage. The bowlers who played at Guildford deserve to keep their places.

There is an argument depending on conditions to leave Leach out as we did in the home game v Kent if the pitch is likely to predominantly be seamer friendly.

We will need our 6 seamers fully fit for the 4 matches in 29 days as you say starting at Chelmsford assuming Davey has recovered by then. We will also have the option to bring Bess back into the setup if we feel two spinners are needed.

Personally, not sure Abell really wants to open, but think he will do so again for the benefit of the team. Don’t think I would open with Banton who is better off in middle order playing his natural game. Although, he and Azhar did form a good opening partnership in the 50 over comp and complimented each other well. So might be worth a go even though they are two completely different formats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 19:35 by Cleavo.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 21:02
Agree about Banton but if you want James back at 4 then the skipper has to be part of the top 3 so I'd suggest he's the 3 and we need a 2.

Eddie and Tom L are the 2 pretty obvious choices but they won't play it seems so James will remain at 3.

Steve is presently our best keeper. Hope he stays next year. Tom Banton is not an idiot behind the sticks by the way and he will continue to learn. If he is not the second keeper then who is?

Getting in a strop about who will and won't definitely play next week does not answer the question about when and where we plan for next season IF Steve does not stay?

It's all a moveable feast and there is not a definite side at the moment, there are options and possibles in the batting line up. Some are definites IF other aspects work. They may not be as definite if those aspects don't work.

It all a bunch of fun and fascinating at the moment.

(Sm72)

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
09 June, 2019 21:04
Given the lousy forecast I decided the Hotel cost wasn’t worth it, so have returned west.

If tomorrow sees anything like a full days play, I shall have severe words with the weather department at the BBC !

Agree no need to rush Lewis. I also wonder whether it’s worth playing Jack if the surface turns out to look unsuited for spin.

Grizzzly

Goto Page: 12345678910Next
Current Page: 1 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net