Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

James Bracey
Discussion started by WeAreSomerset (IP Logged), 07 July, 2019 21:55
WeAreSomerset
WeAreSomerset
07 July, 2019 21:55
Surrey and Somerset are battling for his signature according to radio reports.

I have only seen him play on YouTube/highlights but he looks a compact left-hander who is highly thought of.

wsm fan
wsm fan
07 July, 2019 22:20
Contracted at Gloucestershire until 2021.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Mike BOS
Mike TA1
07 July, 2019 22:37
Has he ask to leave Gloucester?

That article was October 2018.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
07 July, 2019 22:51
Do we care?

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod
08 July, 2019 06:44
Record is no great shakes.

He bats at three.

To an extent, one fears that the fact that the likes of Eddie and Ben haven't been given their chance this season, despite Azhar's woes, makes one wonder as to how much faith management have in them?

It certainly seems reasonable to expect some fairly major changes on the batting front for 2020, does it not?

And there may very well be some new external recruitment.

1. Marcus T is retiring

2. Azhar will have go to some to merit occupying the overseas slot next season.

3. James would still be better at four (and him suddenly being picked for England in the top three, remains more in the realms of fantasy than reality)

On top of this:

4. Steven Davies might leave, not least because he's been axed from our white ball team (at least had been for 50 over).

So one of the above top four might move back to his customary slot. At least one is definitely going. And the odds surely favour at least one of the other two going?

So...... some sort of recruitment drive seems probable?

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz
08 July, 2019 06:46
Our resident stats man definitely doesn't think we should. All a bit odd really.

AGod
AGod
08 July, 2019 06:50
Chopra and Westley both top three batsmen, expected to leave Essex. The latter linked with Kent. Somebody said the former also likely to want to stay in SE*. But if you don't ask, you don't get and either, IMO, very probably a better bet than Bracey up from CC2.

*Also, depending on one's definition of SE... if one wants to leave Essex, and one isn't wanted by Surrey (and I don't think they would want Chopra), Kent (probably can't afford both of those players) or Middx (who already have plenty of top three options) then where, exactly, can one go?

Sussex need new players at the top but, unless they get promoted, that means CC2 cricket.

And there are no other counties in the "South East," by any reasonable definition, IMO.

So I think definitely worth posing the question to Chopra..

wsm fan
wsm fan
08 July, 2019 07:11
Westley & Browne both signed new Essex deals this week!

Chopra on loan at Sussex and for me should be no way near our batting shopping list.

Bracey i know very little of but have heard good things.

I would imagine Eddie & Rouse would be seriously considering their options given they will currently be unemployed in 3 months time!

In Hurry we trust.....

AGod
AGod
08 July, 2019 07:23
Oh, okay, the commentator talk the other week was all about Westley linked to Kent.

Chopra has made an awful lot of runs at Taunton before, WSM...

wsm fan
wsm fan
08 July, 2019 07:29
So has Marcus!
He is 32 now, not been prolific for a few years & has been sent out on loan presumably not for scoring too many runs!
No thanks.....

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse
08 July, 2019 07:46
As well as being a left-hand batter, James Bracey is a wicket-keeper by trade but doesn't keep for Glo`shire as former captain Gary Roderick has that job. Could be seen then as a replacement for Steve Davies, although I very much hope he remains with Somerset.

Although Steve`s championship scores haven`t been huge this year, he has been the guiding light in a number of vital late-order stands that have converted disastrous looking first innings totals into winning ones.

Currently he also tops the First Division wicket-keeper victims table this season - with a little help from his bowling friends, of course.

AGod
AGod
08 July, 2019 08:00
Yes, I too noted that Bracey is, theoretically, a keeper, albeit doesn't do the job there.

But then unless management have reservations about Tom Banton's glovework, then one assumes that he'd be Plan B, gauntlets-wise, should Steve Davies elect to leave.

I do still wonder whether management might revert to Steve in the T20 - at least to start with in a "one last throw of the dice to see if he can nail down a white ball place," since lack of said place would, presumably, be one of the main factors - should Steve decide to leave? I don't know which of management or Steve himself must be more perplexed about the absolute dissaperance of his productivity in white ball cricket, ever since he arrived in Taunton?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 08:20 by AGod.

Mike BOS
Mike TA1
08 July, 2019 08:24
I don't see where he would fit in the squad!

It is already beginning to look like we have second XI players who should be given the chance to play in the first team when the circumstances allow.

With talk of Jos Buttler also returning (I know he wouldn't play a lot of games for us while playing for England) but there is a limit on the squad numbers.

We don't want the situation where players cant play simply because they can't get in the team, we are almost like that now with bowlers.

WeAreSomerset
WeAreSomerset
08 July, 2019 10:07
Why would anyone not care?

WeAreSomerset
WeAreSomerset
08 July, 2019 10:09
Quote:
Mike TA1
Has he ask to leave Gloucester?
That article was October 2018.

Gloucestershire commentator at Middlesex v Gloucestershire was talking about it live on air yesterday at Merchant Taylors.

Chief Exec and Head Coach at GCCC both huge fans of Bracey - he is also highly regarded in the game and I see he was called up for the Lions Squad.

AGod
AGod
08 July, 2019 10:37
Looks like a case of regard running ahead of production, to me.

If he were really regarded that highly then one would expect more than just us and Surrey to be in the hunt (Notts, for example, usually want to sign anyone with a pulse and ditto Warks). Surrey surely have more than enough top order options anyway, with Elgar, Stoneman, Borthwick etc. Maybe they think they’ll lose Burns to England, long-term.

But, if we do sign him, I shan’t criticise the move simply because I recognise that we are likely to need top three options for next season and may not be spoilt for choice, on the open market (are very unlikely to be spoilt for choice).

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz
08 July, 2019 11:50
That's very gracious of you :-)

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
08 July, 2019 11:57
Quote:
WeAreSomerset
Why would anyone not care?

Partly because he seems to be under contract for the next 2 years

Partly because it seems to be speculation rather than anything else

Partly because we have people looking to go into the positions he would fill

All for a bit of competition but this seems to be little more than a speculative punt

(Sm72)

WeAreSomerset
WeAreSomerset
08 July, 2019 11:57
They are talking about James Bracey on 5 Live Sports Extra this lunchtime if anyone is interested.

AGod
AGod
08 July, 2019 12:04
Good grief. All because he’s suddenly been selected for the Lions?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
08 July, 2019 12:07
We have been here before on this site. So and so is coming.... oh no he isn't, funnily enough he is staying where he is.... never planned to leave.

I suppose we will see.

(Sm72)

WeAreSomerset
WeAreSomerset
08 July, 2019 19:51
Quote:
Grockle
We have been here before on this site. So and so is coming.... oh no he isn't, funnily enough he is staying where he is.... never planned to leave.
I suppose we will see.

Calm down.

I merely reported on a public forum for Somerset cricket fans what I heard on BBC radio yesterday.

AGod
AGod
08 July, 2019 20:12
Makes sense that we'd be in the market for new top-order options.

It usually makes sense that most people available to sign are CC2 players looking for a move upwards to CC1.

Andy actually tried to sign a certain A N Cook last year but, funnily enough, it didn't work!

Rather more chance, one would assume, of persuading somebody from Gloucs to make the switch.

But then everyone in the business of creating rumours can work out all of the above for themselves... so I would expect us to be linked to a number of CC2 top-order players who may have higher ambitions, between now and the end of the season.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
09 July, 2019 11:34
It isn't you "Weare…" it's what that info then creates in terms of getting the speculation juices flowing.

I'll try not to blow a gasket because someone isn't coming but my job is soooooo stressful I can't promise anything. (Sm160) (Sm11)

(Sm72)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.