cricket
Latest News:

GROCKLES.COM welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bagpuss
Eeeeee Bye Dom..
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 07:04
Dom Bess returning to Yorkshire. Another month loan, this time for the Blast.

Title accent improved by Yorkshireman.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2019 10:38 by Grockle.

Nailsea_Fizz
Re: Ee Bah Dom..
Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 07:38
Bagpuss - I hope your taper was long enough to make a swift get away.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 07:42
Potentially unwise*, IMO, unless we've signed him to a new deal *first*

Otherwise, it's just a further chance for Andrew Gale to further unsettle our player, by whispering sweet nothings in his ear.

If the worthless Brexit ever happens, does anyone know whether that means that Roelof would become ineligible?

If so, then that would open a white ball place for Dom next season.

Presumably, the impetus for this move is Dom wants to play in the utterly worthless Graves' fiasco next year?

*I know Andrew is capable of picking up a phone. But it's not quite the same as staring into Dom's eyes over a post-match beer and telling him he can be a Yorkshire legend on a huge pay-packet, is it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 07:54 by AGod.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 07:44
Otherwise, I think we should just move on from Max Waller becauase Dom Bess is far more important to the long-term prospects of this club... also, Dom is as good a fielder as Max, really, and a far better batsman, so it's not as though we'd be taking out Mushtaq Ahmed and replacing him with Mason useless Crane!

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 08:28
I'm not sure Yorkshire currently has the funds to offer a huge pay packet, otherwise they probably wouldn't have played the entire season without an overseas player.

Next year and the Hundred £££? Maybe. But all the counties will have that advantage. They won't all be able to offer a county contract linked to a Hundred deal though, which if Twitter rumours are true (😂) is what Warwickshire offered trying to lure David Willey to Edgbaston.

And there was me thinking the counties (non Test) were assured at an early stage that the new city based teams would be entirely independent entities from the counties (Test) just so that sort of thing couldn't happen!

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 08:36
Love the thread title, Bagpuss.

Bagpuss
Bagpuss (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 08:38
Thanks CJM. Have to admit I only thought of it after my original post. Praise be for the edit button!

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 08:49
But I thought that Graves appalling abomination was supposed to involve player auctions and they're not supposed to be controlled by the host county? If that's the case, how could Warks make such an offer? If that's NOT the case, why can't Yorkshire make exactly the same offer to David Willey, one wonders?

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 08:51
Each host county will.have 2 players in THEIR squad.

So welsh fire will have 2 glos 2 glam 2 som
Southern smashers 2 hamps 2 sussex

Etc etc

The rest of squad comes from draft brackets

Roger ivanhoe
Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 09:10
But we are not a host county WSM, and certainly not WELSH FIRE, if this is the case yet another shambles from the ECB, maybe they will also acquire the services of our support staff for 6 weeks.(Sm19)

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 09:21
The welsh fire is linked to glos glam som.

In the Welsh fire will be x2 from each so 6 players.

Yes very likely we may lose Kerr Tweddle Thorpe Trait etc.
They have been very coy so far on all these "extras" that will effect counties.

If a 100 player gets injured can/will they take another from us part way through?

Do we really believe the players will be thrown together on match day 1?
There has to be a pre tournament get together or element of training/planning. So add a good few days onto the front of expected time away for that too.

We really do not know the half of it yet......

Somerset LaLaLa
Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 11:11
Oh great, I am overjoyed (sarcasm). Thought today was going rather well until I read this. Don't like the thread title either. Think I'll have a moan.

Firstly, does Dom have much previous T20 experience? So is it an attempt for Yorkshire to get him in all 3 formats?
Someone said, I believe, he had another year on his contract at Somerset?
What is the latest with Rashid - injury somewhere?
Why would we not play two spinners for the T20?
Will Leach probably be in the Ashes?
And what reason was Leach not in the RLODC squad? The squad selection for different competitions seem far too inflexible to me

I'll going to edit my prediction for the Yorks match to 'win - complete and utter thrashing'. Not sure why I'm annoyed about Dom out on loan again, but it seems wrong. The thread title is ok though Bagpuss

Tom Seymour
Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 11:40
I can't see Dom Bess playing for us next year despite of how long he has remaining on his contract. Yorkshire are intent on signing him, so another month's loan is another shot in the foot for us. Isn't Andy Hurry aware of this? I somehow doubt it.

One of the finest talents to come through in many a year and we don't know how to look after him.

Why not offer Max Waller out on loan? He must be due for a Benefit next year after all the years he has been on the books.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

wsm fan
wsm fan (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 12:02
I imagine young Josh Poysden is none too happy about this either!

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 12:15
I can see logic in Dom wanting to play , but this does make me feel very uneasy..

Max Waller short term or Dom Bess long term ? I know which I would choose.

Perhaps Andy/Jason believe can have both.

Let’s hope so.

Grizzzly

Somerset LaLaLa
11 July, 2019 13:11
Yes, I thought Poysden had signed a three year contract this year. And what will happen with Rashid? Surely Dom's opportunities for Yorkshire aren't that different than with us?And we're on the cusp of something big

cricketjerry-mouse
cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 14:31
Do we want Dom Bess to be denied first team cricket for five weeks until August 18, or keep him playing and in tune? There was no way he was going to challenge Somerset`s long-term successful T20 spin partnership of Max Waller and Roelof van der Merwe.

Just remind me, aren't those posters with their moaning boots on again, the very same who changed tune last month and suddenly praised Andy Hurry to the skies for his wisdom in loaning out both Jamie Overton and Dom Bess, resulting in major championship contributions from both on their return.

You can`t have it both ways.

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 14:55
The long period with no First Class cricket is down to the crazy scheduling. Likewise those players with white ball contracts (Trego, Waller and Van der Merwe) have been kicking their heels since April.

Dom is one of our brightest gems, and I think that the benefits that both he and J Overton got from their previous loan spells has been seriously overplayed.

I would rather that they stayed here and felt a sense of belonging to our club. A lot of local clubs or even Minor Counties would happily accommodate them until CC cricket gets underway again.

Somerset LaLaLa
11 July, 2019 16:18
It wasn't a good idea at the time or after the time. The prospect of Somerset being a feeder club to the big cities doesn't inspire me for the future of the county game, especially when so many of our players are home grown.

I would not like to see it go the way of football where team squads are different from the preceding season and unrecognisable after a few years. In some cases there I've seen players shake hands goodbye to the management as they've walked down the tunnel.

No, Somerset's success is built on an incredible team loyality that is rooted in the West Country. Our recent visitors have shown you can't just buy the championship.

There are some of the moans on this site that are built on a love for Somerset and our cricket, which should be recognised as such, not just posting to provoke a response.

I would not like to see Dom leave our club permanently, he has so much to offer and even more to gain

Railboy
Railboy (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 16:55
Sorry people, but we are restricted to fielding just 11 players, and as I have previously said, it is not the role of management to keep people happy. It is their job to pick the 11 most likely to win the game. Dom wants to play white ball cricket, which of course is fine and admirable, but he has to show said management that he is better than the alternatives. So far either for the 2s, outings in the 1’s even in the England set up that hasn’t yet happened. We have at last developed a winning mentality. No player can be selected because he wants to be selected, it’s harsh but that’s the way it works in meritocracy. He now has the chance to prove his point, if he grabs it we will all be better off.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 18:08
@#$%& it. Win it this year, then Graves, and it, can burn in Hell!

Clarence Parker
Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 19:13
He obviously can't wait to return there.

[yorkshireccc.com]

Slow Left Chinaman
Slow Left Chinaman (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 19:24
Quote:
Somerset LaLaLa
Oh great, I am overjoyed (sarcasm).
Firstly, does Dom have much previous T20 experience? So is it an attempt for Yorkshire to get him in all 3 formats?
Someone said, I believe, he had another year on his contract at Somerset?
What is the latest with Rashid - injury somewhere?
Why would we not play two spinners for the T20?
Will Leach probably be in the Ashes?
And what reason was Leach not in the RLODC squad? The squad selection for different competitions seem far too inflexible to me

Hardly any T20 experience.
Yes, 1 more year.
Rashid is carrying a mild injury, may want a proper rest after the WC.
We will obviously play 2 spinners in the T20, like we have for several years - Max and VDM.
Leach may be in the Ashes for a Test if it's a dry track, but it's unlikely he'll displace Mo as number 1 spinner just yet.
Just who do you suggest we should have dropped out of our title winning RLODC team?! Dom started off in the team, but was rubbish, so dropped.

Slow Left Chinaman
11 July, 2019 19:27
Quote:
Railboy
Sorry people, but we are restricted to fielding just 11 players, and as I have previously said, it is not the role of management to keep people happy. It is their job to pick the 11 most likely to win the game. Dom wants to play white ball cricket, which of course is fine and admirable, but he has to show said management that he is better than the alternatives.

I believe that's what he's trying to do!

Honestly, I don't understand people being against this. We've already had 2 examples of successful loans this season.

What do you suggest, we deny his reasonable request, peeing him off, in order to try to keep him at the club?

Realistically, long term we won't be able to keep him and Leach at the club, unless Dom's batting develops so he can bat 6/7. We can't make Ciderabad, and someone with England ambitions is obviously not going to tolerate playing only a handful of games a year on 2 spinner tracks.

So in the meantime, it seems to be to be very sensible to keep him happy by letting him have 1st team cricket elsewhere when we can spare him, and then bringing him back to be an important part of our CC team.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 19:28
SLC ... bigger priorities, no? I strongly suggest we move on from Waller. Dom better bat, equal fielder (elite), more predictable with ball..... but if track turns will be better, if not, worse.

Slow Left Chinaman
11 July, 2019 19:32
If you want us to downgrade the T20 competition to a development/keeping-people-happy selection basis, then sure, that would work and we can sack Max.

But to me, that wouldn't send out a great message as, within reason, we should be trying to win every game/competition.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 19:34
I'm sceptical he has the variation in his bowling for much success in white ball cricket at the moment. But if he does well with Yorkshire then he'll be an extra option for us to help beat them on final's day. Definitely better for him that kicking his heels here for a month.

AGod
AGod (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 19:56
Better for him. But maybe, also, better for Gale?

SLC - it’s about priorities and long-term planning?

Bess? Potential international, across 3 formats. Waller? No chance across all 3 formats.

Slow Left Chinaman
11 July, 2019 20:01
Well I would say importantly it is better for us as well, as shown by the last 2 loans - and if he does end up leaving, I don't really care WHO he goes to.

It's not as if him leaving is something that won't have occurred to Hurry is it? So I'd think he's better placed than us armchair fans, and has probably earned the benefit of any doubt, given how recent history has gone.

Railboy
Railboy (IP Logged)
11 July, 2019 21:33
AG, you say “potential international in all 3 formats”. Exactly where has that white ball potential been shown? Certainly not in the RLODC or in any of the various England set up games he has played, and to the best of my knowledge 2nd XI white ball matches haven’t suggested much.. Don’t get me wrong, I like the lad and hope things work out well for him here. But sometimes you have to look beyond the emotion and study the reality. He is not “as good a fielder as Max” - no one is!
He now has the chance to stake a claim, can’t see how anyone can interpret this as a bad thing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net