Latest news:

GROCKLES welcomes you all to the world of Somerset Cricket.

WELCOME to the 25TH ANNIVERSARY season of Grockles and the home of the ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP CHAMPIONS 2019!! Next live county cricket after Notts at Taunton will be in

Days or Hours or Minutes or Seconds

Old Pavilion Gimblett Hill General View Somerset Stand Stand Trescothick Stand
Ondaatje Pavilion Scoreboard Stand squad Colin Atkinson Pavilion Botham Stand
County Championship Info FPT20 Info CB40 Info Somerset Official Website Somerset Video Library Somerset Match Scorecard SCCC Ball by Ball

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Blast. It's the Blast!
Discussion started by Grockle (IP Logged), 16 July, 2019 21:57
MESSAGES->author
Grockle
16 July, 2019 21:57
So. We finish the World Cup. We put the CC1 on hold. The RLODC is sorted. So it's T20 from the 26th.

We say goodbye to some players for a moment.

Azhar has a breather and some work to do.

Marcus will not be involved in this at all

Jack If he's in there I'll be very surprised

Others join the fray for the second time this season

Roelof van der Merwe
Pete Trego
Josh Davey

Dom will be working on this format but for Yorkshire
on loan

Others for the first
Babar Azam
Jerome Taylor
Max Waller
Paul van Meerkeren?

Loads of others will or will not be in there

Another format. The possibility of another trophy?

Well it's all the home Somerset cricekt we have until 10 September so the more the better

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2019 09:17 by Grockle.

Des Platt
Des Platt
17 July, 2019 01:30
Trash cricket; pseudo baseball. Timed league cricket in NW, minor counties and second 11 will keep me near to sane ( I hope ) over these next few weeks.

Always difficult to know the approach on this. As other posters have said, not worth an injury that affects the County championship but the effect of morale always has to be considered.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
17 July, 2019 07:23
It"s the cricket that pays the bills Des and where we are in the future Graves and Harrison have built we have to hope that tje Somerset punters still come after this year or there"ll be no Somerset to have any injuries.

And others are further along the financial 'death' march than us.

You may see it as trash. Others (and I'm one) see it as live sport in my home town in front of people mostly having a good evening and it has more than a few moments when it's good cricketers platyng good crocketers.

It's also all there is for a sugnificant period of the summer when I can see my county play. Don't agree with that but you take what you can get and if we are in it, I'd rather see us compete than not.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod
17 July, 2019 08:38
Jamie to play for England next week, most likely, IMO. In which case count him out of some Somerset games.

AGod
AGod
17 July, 2019 08:41
Som team, batting wise, will be something like:

Banton
Babar Azam
Trego (Pete and Bab could be swapped)
Hildreth
Abell
Gregory
Roelof

Waller will play most games. All pacemen (including Meeks, IMO, likely to be rotated in this comp)

Wild card? How keen are we to keep SD? If very keen, how likely do we think no white ball is to make him leave? If the answer to second question is ‘very,’ do we give him one last chance to redeem white ball form which has been bafflingly poor?

hantssabre
hantssabre
17 July, 2019 08:53
According to reports it seems Gregory might be joining Jamie in the Ireland Test Match but no doubt all will be revealed later today

Des Platt
Des Platt
17 July, 2019 09:02
Quote:
Grockle
It"s the cricket that pays the bills Des and where we are in the future Graves and Harrison have built we have to hope that tje Somerset punters still come after this year or there"ll be no Somerset to have any injuries.
And others are further along the financial 'death' march than us.

You may see it as trash. Others (and I'm one) see it as live sport in my home town in front of people mostly having a good evening and it has more than a few moments when it's good cricketers platyng good crocketers.

It's also all there is for a sugnificant period of the summer when I can see my county play. Don't agree with that but you take what you can get and if we are in it, I'd rather see us compete than not.

I know you are right on that Grockle and that it is needed to subsidise the four day game. Up here, Lancashire actually stated a few years ago that even one day cricket does not make money other than the Roses game; they say that it is pop concerts and hospitality subsidises cricket. I agree with your view particularly at the non-test counties that it is one day cricket that pays the bills. I wish it wasn’t so but do understand the reality.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
17 July, 2019 10:43
Glad to see our guus getting an opportunity if it happens. Lewis is a loss Jamie we can cover. Looking forward to Josh getting a run out again.

Steve is a quandry. I'm not sure his white ball form recently improves his worth but if Lewis is not there his possible contribution has to be considered. Should we be fighting to keep him? As a keeper most definitely. As a batsman? He hasn't been what we hoped but he is obvious class when he shows it. Hmmmm

(Sm72)

Phrench Phil
Phrench Phil
17 July, 2019 13:52
The T20 Blast actually starts tomorrow, Grockle, and not 26 July.

AGod
AGod
17 July, 2019 13:59
The Davies thing most certainly is a quandary, Grockle, yes.

Not least for this reason: Either Tom B might be the fall-back with the gloves if Steve leaves OR he might be an answer to one of the opening slots but he, surely, cannot be the answer to both of those questions?

nelliec
nelliec
17 July, 2019 17:11
Will Lewis be available tomorrow as he is not under a central contract?

AGod
AGod
17 July, 2019 17:14
I don’t think so. Isn’t he at the pre-Ashes training camp?

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
17 July, 2019 17:39
It starts in Taunton on the 26 Phrench. Cricket in Glamorgan is only 'live' in Glamorgan I'm afraid.

(Sm72)

wsm fan
wsm fan
17 July, 2019 20:54
No overseas for Glamorgan tomorrow.

Babar & Jerome reportedly ready for duty!

Babar Banton Trego Hildy Abell LG/TL Rvdm Craig Jamie JT Max

AGod
AGod
17 July, 2019 21:27
[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

I see, from this useful little guide on the club site, that there are no fewer than three Afghans that have been signed as Overseas Players by sides within the Southern Group.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz
17 July, 2019 22:38
What do the stats say, are they better than ours. Have the Management stuffed up again.

Will our new men catch the collapse disease.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper
17 July, 2019 22:47
Let's hope Jerome's radar works better than the first game last year.

AGod
AGod
17 July, 2019 22:57
I think he's someone who will always be up and down.

But when he's good? He can be very, very good.

MESSAGES->author
Scrumper
17 July, 2019 23:56
I was talking about cricket.

AGod
AGod
18 July, 2019 06:21
hahahahhahhaha

AGod
AGod
18 July, 2019 09:28
No official overseas for Glam, WSM, as Zaman tied up with visa issues, but they will have the not inconsiderable presence of Mr Colin Ingram.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2019 14:59 by AGod.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz
18 July, 2019 10:08
Has Ingram done much lately

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
18 July, 2019 10:09
Lewis will play tonight. Heading from Canterbury to Glamorgan as we speak it seems.

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod
18 July, 2019 10:44
Didn't have a good IPL, Nailsea.

Nevertheless, it says here that Mr INgram (with his career strike-rate of 140) is as likely as Lewis Gregory to make a decent score very quickly tonight .. and more likely than anybody else on either side*

*Babar Azam is a fantastically accomplished player, not a fantastically explosive one.

50 from 25 balls is within Colin's compass.

As an opener, 75 not out, maybe from 65 balls, is more Babar's wheelhouse.

MESSAGES->author
Grockle
18 July, 2019 11:32
Stability at the front end and a base to work on in the last 8 is Babar's job

(Sm72)

AGod
AGod
18 July, 2019 11:44
Yes it is.

Nailsea_Fizz
Nailsea_Fizz
18 July, 2019 13:28
Won't worry about Ingram then

nelliec
nelliec
18 July, 2019 18:15
Won the toss and bowling

MESSAGES->author
Grizzzly
18 July, 2019 18:47
Not enjoying what I'm hearing on the commentary right now !

Grizzzly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2019 18:48 by Grizzzly.

Phrench Phil
Phrench Phil
18 July, 2019 18:47
So. We finish the World Cup. We put the CC1 on hold. The RLODC is sorted. So it's T20 from the 26th.

It starts in Taunton on the 26 Phrench.

Indeed, but it has just started this evening, 'the 18', in Cardiff.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.