cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

No Slip ups

Current Page: 1 of 106
Football chat (all teams)
Ged (IP Logged)
13 September, 2010 08:25
Can we please restrict all football chat to one or two specific topics for that purpose.

That way those who do not want to discuss football can simply ignore the football topics and enjoy other aspects of this CRICKET forum in peace.

Moderators will start to take a draconian line if football continues to dominate cricket topics on MTWD.

Football lovers, you can chat here, now!

edited to change title.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2010 12:56 by comebackgatt.

Re: Football chat (e.g. Watford)
Beeamazed (IP Logged)
13 September, 2010 08:31
I still love Barnet even though we are poo...(Sm60)

THE BIG EASY (IP Logged)
13 September, 2010 08:41
Quote:
Ged
Can we please restrict all football chat to one or two specific topics for that purpose.
That way those who do not want to discuss football can simply ignore the football topics and enjoy other aspects of this CRICKET forum in peace.

Moderators will start to take a draconian line if football continues to dominate cricket topics on MTWD.

Football lovers, you can chat here, now!

At last Ged...You just need to send a PM to a certain person now so that he totally understands what your saying!!!

ANDRE VOS/DAVID WILSON/NICK EVANS ARE HARLEQUIN LEGENDS

comebackgatt (IP Logged)
13 September, 2010 10:10
I watched Dover win at second place Braintree on Sat, good game.

as (IP Logged)
13 September, 2010 11:52
AFC Wimbledon 4 Bath 0. The Dons remain top of the conference but with a tough game at Luton on Friday

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 September, 2010 12:08
On the Lords next Saturday thread, BristolRob wrote about a 'special late train' being scheduled for Somerset supporters returning home from Saturday's Clydesdale Bank 40 final, which upsets me because whenever I go to football or cricket it seems that rail operators seldom give me much assistance in travelling back from the match, particularly away matches. I am still bitter about when I attended Watford's 4-0 win v Coventry City on Sunday 2nd May (1:00pm kick-off) at the Ricoh Arena, yet to get there my mum had to give me a lift to Edgware, then I had to get a Northern line service to Euston, then I had to get a Virgin Trains service from Euston to Coventry which took ages due to it being diverted via Ealing Broadway then West Ruislip, although at least I got to the ground just about in time, then on the way back I had to a coach from Coventry to Leamington Spa, except the one I planned to get was too full, so I had to get a later coach, which caused me to miss the train calling at Wembley Stadium I had hoped to get, meaning that I had to go to Marylebone and get a Chiltern line service to Harrow-on-the-Hill and then a rail replacement bus to Preston Road. I have nothing against Somerset supporters and I hope that they have a smooth journey to and from Lord's, but it is just a shame that I never get a similar service.

On the Essex hope to sign former England batsman Owais Shah thread, Diamond wrote "Kev accepts QPR are lower league , Beefy accepts Leeds are lower league".

It would not be sarcastic for me to say that I believe that both QPR and Leeds United both have an excellent chance of gaining promotion to the Premier League (which is the only league that the laws of logic would say is definitely not 'lower league') over the next few years. QPR clearly have lots of money and are sat proudly at the top of the Championship while I have long seen it as an inevitability that Leeds' absence from the Premier League will sooner or later come to an end, and they are currently in the final play-off position. Just 41 more matches for the two teams to either hold on or extend their dominance.

For some reason, I get an adrenaline rush when I hear the name 'QPR' or 'Brentford' as I know that being a West Londoner (OK, technically I live in North-West London, but the trains and buses near me tend to mostly go to West London rather than North London) I should support either club, so it is great to see QPR top of the league, plus of course Brentford won a match on Sky last week. Like I wrote on the Jos Buttler thread, I have a weird fantasy to travel on the Hounslow Loop, and Brentford station is on that line. Maybe I will sneak on it while my parents are on holiday in November.

Quote:
as
AFC Wimbledon 4 Bath 0. The Dons remain top of the conference but with a tough game at Luton on Friday

It would be great to see AFC Wimbledon continue their rise and rise by becoming a Football League club and because of a combination of my desire for that to happen and the fact that as a Watford supporter I am obliged to hate Luton Town, I will certainly be hoping that the Dons win on Friday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2010 12:12 by Jonathan Winsky.

13 September, 2010 13:47
To read the start of this post please visit the Middlesex beyond compare thread ... Watford lost their only FA Cup final to Everton 2-0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2010 13:49 by Jonathan Winsky.

THE BIG EASY (IP Logged)
13 September, 2010 15:40
I was at Upton park last Saturday watching my beloved Chelsea give West Ham a good old fashioned stuffing!...Ooh er

ANDRE VOS/DAVID WILSON/NICK EVANS ARE HARLEQUIN LEGENDS

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
13 September, 2010 19:08
Woooooooo,hoooooooooooooooo lets just keep football and watford here! All other threads,messages out of bounds!!!!!!

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
14 September, 2010 15:39
Seeing as we now have a dedicated Watford thread I would like JW to explain his often repeated quotation "league 1" Reading that was bandied about far too often last season.

How many places did Reading finish above Watford last season? I predict that we will finish many places above Watford again this season so you can call us Premier League Reading if you like.

Rant over JW, good luck for rest of season and even if most of the other users don`t like to chat about Watford in other threads, feel free to comment on Championship issues on here mate as will I.

14 September, 2010 16:55
I think what happened was that after a 1-0 defeat v wooden spoonests Peterborough United on 13th March I started writing things in my signature about 'League One Watford', and then after a 2-1 defeat in a six-pointer v Sheffield Wednesday on 24th March I changed my username to 'Jonathan League Onesky' and decided to keep that name until Watford's survival was ensured. However, after a 1-0 defeat v QPR on 20th April I changed my username to 'Jonathan League Onesky (Had Watford beaten Queens Park Rangers then I would have reverted my name back to Jonathan Winsky, but unfortunately we lost 1-0, so you will have to put up with Jonathan League Onesky, which I know irritates you)' and wrote in big writing in my signature that if Watford were to beat Reading four days later at Vicarage Road then I would have mercy on everyone and shorten my username back to 'Jonathan Winsky'. Watford beat Reading 3-0 to ensure survival, and I finally went back to 'Jonathan Winsky'. At no point did I say that Reading were or would imminently be a League 1 club, although I had massive fears that Watford could be. Like I wrote in my essay, I have been supporting Watford since the 2005/06 season and my initial reason for supporting them was because they were a Championship club, but luckily they surpassed expectation by becoming a Premier League club the following season. Therefore, I have known nothing other than being a top-two division club, so if they were to get relegated then that would be my third-biggest sporting nightmare (behind Middlesex going out of business and Watford going out of business, but ahead of any cup exit or Middlesex finishing bottom in the County Championship) as all of a sudden they would not play ex-Premier League teams (OK, there a couple of teams in League 1 who were recently in the Premier League, but not as much as there are in the Championship) and I would have to wait even longer to see their goals on The Football League Show. I have every confidence that Watford can survive this season, even though many people have them as relegation favourites.

Considering people seem to think that all I ever write and think about is Watford, they will be surprised to know that I haven't actually devoted much thought to Watford over the last couple of weeks due to everything that is going on at Middlesex, and I have not really given much thought to tonight's match away to Bristol City, the end of which I will listen to tonight once I have got back from the forum.

There was a time during my attendance at a boarding school in Cheshire where whenever Chelsea (who I supported at the time) lost, people would say to me "what's the score", and I would graciously say that Chelsea lost. Therefore, in response to the question of how many places Reading finished above Watford last season, I can graciously say that Reading finished seven places and nine points ahead.

Ged (IP Logged)
14 September, 2010 18:20
It says "football e.g. Watford", WayOutWest, not "Watford" - so please chat about anything to do with football here.

This thread seems to be up and running now, so I won't be back here unless anyone calls me (e.g. by PM or e-mail). Please try to moderate yourselves, I really don't want to return to this thread unless I have to.

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
14 September, 2010 21:55
JW do not rewrite history. You referred to Reading as League 1 Reading and Liverpool as Europa League Liverpool in several posts. However, when we went on a glorious winning run, the League 1 Reading never appeared. If you want I can dig out the posts.

WayOutWest (IP Logged)
14 September, 2010 22:10
Sorry to be so bitter, but you did deny saying it and said that I got confused with you calling Watford League One, so here is the proof.

Re: LOWER LEAGUE FOOTBALL.
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 08 December, 2009 23:20

People who, like myself, are obsessed with TV rights will be relieved to know that the FA have found someone to broadcast the matches Setanta were contracted to show. The contract has gone to... ESPN.

I think that two matches plus one replay from each round will be on ITV, while three matches and one replay from each round will be on ESPN. The deal also covers England away qualifiers, home friendlies and home U-21 internationals.

So far, the only 3rd round match confirmed for live TV coverage is the tie between League One Reading and Europa League Liverpool, which will be played on the Saturday with a 5:15pm kick-off on ITV. I wonder which out of Brendan Rodgers and Rafael Benitez will be sacked first.

I'd expect the other four live matches to be confirmed in the next couple of days.

15 September, 2010 00:01
First of all, may I say that I was delighted to return from tonight's to forum find that Watford were leading Bristol City 2-0, and I was even more delighted that they didn't concede their customary late goal (or any goals for that matter). The aim of a sport club is to win, so when they achieve that it is brilliant. Now, how do I get that smiley with the dancing arms thing? Oh yeah, this is it (Sm60).

Now it has been proven that I did say "League One Reading" after all, there is no point in me denying it. I may have said some more things about Reading as I briefly viewed the club in the same manner as Luton Town due to the manner of Brendan Rodgers' departure (he had previously stated that he would stay at Watford rather than join Reading, before later going back on his word, and then he tried to take fans' favourite Tommy Smith with him) and I admitted to taking pleasure at their poor start to last season, but once Rodgers left my obsession cooled off. Reading certainly had the last laugh as in the second-half of the season they went from battling relegation to nearly making the play-offs (which they would surely have reached had they started the season better) plus they knocked Europa League semi-finalists Liverpool (does that make Reading's feat any more impressive), Premier League Burnley and Premier League-bound West Bromwich Albion out of the FA Cup to reach the last eight. Contrastingly, Watford capitulated in the League and went from coasting towards Championship survival to making me genuinely nervous about relegation, while the FA Cup third round match against my old team Chelsea resulted in a 5-0 defeat.

May I apologise to Reading supporters for any offense caused. I look forward to playing them on 20th November at Vicarage Road and visiting the Madjeski Stadium on 19th February, although the latter match depends if neither club are in the FA Cup 5th round.

I remember the news of Rodgers being sacked by Reading broke while Watford were in the midst of a financial crisis, so it lightened my mood. Therefore, perhaps it was destined that the reminder of what I wrote about Reading last December would come the same night as Watford record a rare win (I have no certainty where their next win will come from!), thus souring my mood.

Perhaps fittingly, Watford are currently level of points with both Reading and Rodgers' new club Swansea City, who visit Vicarage Road on Tuesday week when I expect Rodgers to get a lot of stick, Watford being behind Reading by one goal and ahead of Swansea by one goal.

BristolRob (IP Logged)
15 September, 2010 05:25
Thanks to you and The Hornets for a great result against Bristol City nil last night JW.As a Rovers fan that made my day.Just need Somerset to beat Durham to complete a sporting double.

Who put the A in Trego?

Coppell is my hero (IP Logged)
15 September, 2010 08:52
Congratulations JW on a great result for Watford last night. My son Lee is a Watford fan and he is off to see the Hornets at Millwall on Saturday.

15 September, 2010 10:54
I will not post in this thread on principle as long as it has "Watford" in the title. There are far more QPR supporters on here, so I suggest a separate thread for (table topping) QPR. Failing that, please expunge Watford from the title.

At least QPR play in (the ancient county of) Middlesex!

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
15 September, 2010 12:49
Fred, I'm sure the kind moderator can adjust to suit your wishes....

comebackgatt (IP Logged)
15 September, 2010 12:55
Croydon Athletic owned by a certain Mazhar Majeed are still hoping to see out season. All the players and management have left and they have to return to action next week or face being booted from the Rymans League.They hope to play youngsters which will mean a few 9-0 defeats ala Weymouth and Durham City.

Oh by the way Freddie as the moderator who posts most on this thread I have changed the title.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2010 12:57 by comebackgatt.

Current Page: 1 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net