Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Hoping for a wicket

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page: 3 of 15

Re: Ask the Mods?
Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2011 22:08

Could have been worse Comeback, he could have altered you initials to a school immunisation injection.

Posted by: Vic. (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2011 11:39

My PC seems to have caught the go slow bug today, very boring.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2011 13:05

MTWD is currently at snail pace, everything else OK. If it persists I will raise this with Administrators.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2011 13:43

Since last night, most sites hosted by Sportnetwork have either run slow or not loaded at all, but there is little that I can do to get round the problem. This is not unique to MTWD.

Date: 06 November, 2011 15:11

Testimony that MTWD is not the only Sportnetwork site to display a "The database connection failed. Please check your database configuration in include/db/config.php. If the configuration is okay, check if the database server is running" message is that a thread about the disruption has appeared on London Irish's board. There may be other sites where such a thread appears, but that is the only time over the last couple of days that a Sportnetwork site has included the term "database configuration" in a post.

Posted by: lower pavilion (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2011 00:41

For the record I could not get on the site most of sunday afternoon and evening.

I did not bother our mods, as I am now getting used to the fact that Sportnetwork seem to have regular technical problems affecting their various sites.

It is all rather annoying but I assume even more so for our hard working mods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 00:43 by lower pavilion.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2011 05:13

It's fine now Kev,might be something to do with the amount of traffic on here at this time of the day.It was ok yesterday evening about 21:00hrs as well.

Date: 07 November, 2011 08:17

All rather frustrating. When slow at first I thought it was my PC or Internet Connection. Then when all other websites OK realised it was a Sportnetwork problem. Their Admin don't advise moderators at times like this and in past when I have asked for updates it's been the "how long's a piece of string" scenario.

To be fair to them their priority would be to deal with advertisers who pay revenue to them and when something does go wrong very difficult to predict resolution times.

Glad it is working fine for now.

Barmy Kev

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2011 12:17

Yep,all good now.Had no luck at all on Sunday.Glad to see all back and running.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2011 16:07

How do I quote a message?

I can see the 'quote this message tab' but then what?

In the past when I have wanted to do this I haven't been able to seperate the paragraph or sentence I want from someone elses post.

So, all or nothing. and then I don't seem to be able to add my own comment anyway, so I've never worked out how to do what must be a fairly simple task.

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2011 16:18

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
How do I quote a message?
I can see the 'quote this message tab' but then what?

In the past when I have wanted to do this I haven't been able to seperate the paragraph or sentence I want from someone elses post.

So, all or nothing. and then I don't seem to be able to add my own comment anyway, so I've never worked out how to do what must be a fairly simple task.

Chunky

1. Click on "Quote this message". The text will then appear in the message box below.

2. Remove any of the text that you don't want to use by highlighting it and pressing Delete.

3. Press Enter and commence typing your message below.

4. I normally then Preview before posting the message, just in case I've mucked up somewhere.

5. Sit back and await a surge of "Well said, Chunky!" replies.

Date: 07 November, 2011 16:37

[quote lower pavilion]For the record I could not get on the site most of sunday afternoon and evening.

Maybe this will work?

When I tried to do it with Fozzies post it wanted to put my comment before what I was trying to quote.

If this comes out ok then many thanks Fozzie!

Date: 07 November, 2011 16:39

Stii not quite right then, because I assumed lower pavilion would appear in bold, but it didn't!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 16:41 by chunkyinargyll.

Date: 07 November, 2011 18:18

When I prepare a post which includes quotes and/or links, I often open the new topic page in another tab, type my post there, click 'preview', see whether or not my post came out as intended and if it doesn't come out as intended then I adjust it accordingly. Once I am satisfied, I post my message. I know that I could do all that by clicking 'preview' on the thread to which I intend to post, but once when I did that, for some reason my post started a new thread, which may have been due to me taking too long to complete the post.

Many rugby sites on Sportnetwork have written guides on how to do things such as quoting messages, submitting links and posting images, and four such sites are those of Wasps, Saracens, Leicester Tigers and London Irish.

Date: 07 November, 2011 19:19

Regrettably, there are some PC's that even by following Fozzie's instructions that still do not accept you quoting messages and Smiley's etc. I had this problem and used old the old fashioned Copy and Paste method for quotes in my relatively archaic days.

Since getting my Apple Anorak, I'm able to do more techie things, with trial and error. Not all about Sportnetwork is User friendly.

All the moderators are dedicated to well being of the site , but none of us are gifted with advanced technical skills.

Barmy Kev

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2011 20:24

Something happened on Grockle that has never happened before.

Grockle merged two thread this he does often if it on the same subject, when he does that the thread is tagged as ‘new’ to clear the tag I pressed ‘mark thread as read’ on returning to the message page there were about ten threads marked as ‘New’ and I had already read them all.

Very odd.

Posted by: Vic. (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2011 09:01

A very happy birthday to one of the mods.

Date: 09 November, 2011 11:26

Perhaps the question to the mod whose birthday it is-how old are you?

Barmy Kev

Date: 15 November, 2011 09:21

I have had another look at the messageboard rules.

There does not appear to be any reference to the fact that posters should only have one user name.

Are you saying this practise is perfectly acceptable? If so we could all do it, and no one would have a clue who is genuine and who isn't.

Date: 15 November, 2011 09:33

There are no rules about a poster having more than one user name. If they are banned and try to log on as someone else this can be traced and they will be removed.

If for whatever reason someone wantss to have another identity, for example Hippity was an alias of a regular contributor, so long as they act within rules that is fine. If they use this to be couner-productive to the well being of the site this will be acted on.

I know there is controversy thinking 2 posters here are one of the same. I have carried out checks and feel that this is most unlikely.

Barmy Kev

Current Page: 3 of 15
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net