cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP Phillip

RIP Basil D'Oliveira
Fozzie (IP Logged)
19 November, 2011 14:46
A great player for England, and one whose influence extended far beyond the cricket field.

Re: RIP Basil D'Oliveira
19 November, 2011 15:05
The line up in God's first eleven gets a huge impetus of guts,skill and sheer bloody minded determination with the arrival of Dolly.Influence well beyond the game as Fozzie states.

RIP Sir and condolences to family and friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2011 15:07 by The Diamond ruled ok.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
19 November, 2011 19:15
I was very sad when I heard this news, as Basil D'Oliveira is a player who was always destined to leave a legacy. Arguably, sport and the world in general may have been a worse place had the events of the late 1960's not taken place. Fittingly for such an influential player, the Daily Telegraph have so far produced six articles with tributes (here, here, here, here, here and here), the Guardian have so far produced five articles with tributes (here, here, here, here and here) and Cricinfo and the Daily Mail have produced one each.

On Sky earlier today, D'Oliveira's biographer Peter Oborne told of when the great man was walking round the boundary of a ground in South Africa, and a black man shouted "one day you will die, but your legacy will live on forever".

My condolences go to his friends, family and anyone whose lives he touched.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
19 November, 2011 20:55
Spot on, Jonathan. And incidentally, Peter Oborne's biography of Dolly is excellent.

Vic. (IP Logged)
20 November, 2011 11:20
My first cricketing idol. Was the reason for me following the results of Worcs as a child.

20 November, 2011 16:34
A quietly determined and dignified person - the only one to emerge with great credit from the fiasco of the cancelled SA tour. The entire SA team wore black armbands as a tribute. And yes, the Oborne book is an excellent read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/11/2011 16:35 by freddie tittlemouse.

20 November, 2011 17:25

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
20 November, 2011 21:41
Dolly,a cricketer who did far more for sport in general than anyone can.
A true professional in ever sense of the word.
A loss to the cricket world,may he rest in peace.

Mr. Trellis (IP Logged)
21 November, 2011 18:39
Very sad news. A true gentleman.

RIP Dolly

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
22 November, 2011 13:21
Daily Mail yesterday reprinted an interview/article written by the late Ian Wooldridge back in 1999,was a superb read about Dolly,maybe JW can add the link?

22 November, 2011 19:15

adelaide (IP Logged)
24 November, 2011 17:08
The thread on the Corridor of Uncertainty about Basil is first class - credit where credit is due, whatever other difficulties there might be.

One of the stories told there, possibly apocryphal, is of D'Oliveria catching the train from Euston to the North West after arriving in the UK and spending ages looking for the non-white section.

There were plenty of Brits who emigrated to SA in the apartheid years because (to caricature slightly) "this country's finished" and "the opportunities are so good out there". One friend of mine found himself entertaining such a family on a visit home. He took their young daughter on a bus and she kept asking why there were black people on (their part of) the bus. Absolutely awful, but what did you say to a young child conditioned by their upbringing without making her think badly of her parents? He settled for "we don't do things like that here" while squirming with ongoing embarrassment.

I saw most of the great innings at The Oval that lit the touch paper. I was only a teenager but I was well aware as I was watching it that the next couple of weeks were going to be "interesting" as a result.

The d'Oliveria affair seems to come from a different world now, thank goodness. I salute his role in getting us from there to here and his great personal dignity.

Adelaide

27 January, 2012 23:50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net