cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Rogers and Not Out

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Gloucs.
Vic. (IP Logged)
27 January, 2012 11:48
Spare a thought for others less fortunate.
[www.gazetteseries.co.uk]

Re: Gloucs.
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
27 January, 2012 14:18
That is straight from the heart,can see that on what is put.
Talk about being stitched up,my brother lives in Bristol and said the locals are fuming on how the cricket club has been kicked somewhere that hurts(to be polite).
A ground full of history,it makes you wonder what will happen to this club and the next few weeks will be interesting to see what they decide at the meeting and i hope they appeal against the decision made.

31 January, 2012 18:39
Very poor state of affairs in Bristol and yet just over the Severn it seems that after years of trying to rip their club apart Glamorgan might finally have got a few things sorted out.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

BristolRob (IP Logged)
31 January, 2012 19:52
Power mad Paul Russell won't let go!
Light is well known as a drama queen.The best thing Glos could do is sell up and move to their county.What other team plays and has it's HQ outside of it's county?They have poor attendances at Bristol and the ground is like a morgue and only used part of the season.
Go on move up the M5.You know it makes senses.

Who put the A in Trego?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
31 January, 2012 20:36
BristolRob,i can see what you mean about moving,but you cant take all the history the club has there.The Grace Gates,the memories of good times.Its such a shame the local council dont care (being very polite) about the club,ground,players past,present,and most importantly the future,and the feelings of the club members.
The cost of moving,and building a new ground as well.Must admit i always enjoy my days at the county ground and get looked after,one year a steward made a mistake by charging myself to enter the members area it was a fiver extra,he then caught up with me and that was a good hour later.Couldnt stop saying how sorry he was with the mistake and returned the money.

selincourt (IP Logged)
31 January, 2012 20:41
Quote:
BristolRob
.The best thing Glos could do is sell up and move to their county.What other team plays and has it's HQ outside of it's county?.
Without wishing to resurrect the existence of Middlesex debate, I continue to believe that Bristol is (albeit was)in Gloucestershire. However, it would appear to make sense for the county HQ to be more centrally located in Gloucester. As to a team playing outside it's county, then several on this board would argue that Marylebone is no longer part of Middlesex, a belief I do not subscribe to.

BristolRob (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 00:54
It's not a problem playing outside of your county but to have your HQ and play the majority of your games outside of it is immoral.
Bristol was granted county status in 1373.A long time before WG and first class cricket.

Who put the A in Trego?

selincourt (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 10:43
Thank you for the history lesson. However, the position would appear to be analogous to the City of London, which has enjoyed a similar period of independence, but is acknowledged geographically to be within Middlesex.

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 11:54
There is another team that plays well outside its county and, unlike Middlesex, does not have the excuse of (arguably) no longer existing in its own right. I am Sorry if you can't work out which one.

Adelaide

selincourt (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 12:12
Perhaps a parallel case is that of Essex, which moved its' HQ from Leyton to Chelmsford.
However,I subscribe to the view that Kennington is in Surrey and Leyton is in Essex.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 15:03
I also tend to acknowledge historical boundaries.

According to the Herbaria United tool that we were introduced to on 15th October, Nevil Road is in Gloucestershire, although the Imperial Athletic Ground, Ironmould Lane and Knowle CC, which are all grounds in Bristol used by Somerset over the years, are all considered as Somerset.

I did that research not long after discovering the Herbaria United tool, but prior to that, I thought the whole of Bristol was considered as Gloucestershire.

Other than London and Bristol, there can't be many cities which fall under more than one county.

It would be sad for any Gloucestershire supporters who live in Bristol if they have to make a long journey to see their team in the future.

BristolRob (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 16:14
That's a useless tool you have there Jonathan.Nevil Road is most definitely in the City and County of Bristol.I used to live about 2 miles from there hence the Bristol in my name.

Who put the A in Trego?

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 17:07
I will refrain from commenting about the uselessness or otherwise of Jonathan's tool.

Bristol is (now) Bristol, but was once part of Avon. But was it all in Gloucestershire before Avon was established in 1974? Perhaps the original city was but some of the later urban spread was not?

I would hazard a guess that the Birmingham conurbation is in a similar situation, with Worcs, Warwicks and Staffs involved, though perhaps the present day Birmingham district was never split in that way.

I'm still trying to get my head round Reading University being (technically) in Wokingham!

Adelaide

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 18:20
If Gloucestershire relocate to the Wagon Works Ground at Gloucester, as some people have predicted, then they would be moving 29.19 miles. In terms of distance, that would be the equivalent of Middlesex relocating to Stevenage, Luton, Bracknell, Farnborough, Crawley, Tonbridge, Chatham, Basildon or Bishop's Stortford (not that any of that will ever happen), so that shows how inconvenient it would be for Gloucestershire's Bristol-based supporters. However, considering Gloucester is surely indisputably in the county of Gloucestershire (hence the city's name), it wouldn't be as bad on a moral level than if Middlesex moved to any of the aforementioned towns, which are of course not in Middlesex.

On the subject of Birmingham, I used to think that West Bromwich and Wolverhampton were in Warwickshire, but Herbaria United say they are both in Staffordshire. Therefore, that is a third city to straddle more than one county.

I really need to stop using tools such as Herbaria United, Google Maps, Bing Maps, freemaptools.com and boulter.com, as they can get me into trouble!

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 18:45
I thought Herbaria United were in Ryman League Div One South....

01 February, 2012 20:19
JW stop being a tool. Wolverhampton in case you have not noticed is a City itself and it's residents get a little peeved when being told they are a Birmingham suburb,about as much as Coventry folk do.

selincourt (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 22:13
As far as I'm concerned, and some think I'm toolish to say so, Wolverhampton is in Staffordshire and Birmingham is in Warwickshire.

adelaide (IP Logged)
01 February, 2012 23:13
No gap between West Brom and Birmingham, though, based on one away trip to West Brom and the associated return bus trip from New Street through Handsworth.

Someone might say there's no fresh air anywhere in the Midlands, but I've seen quiter a lot of the southern side of the conurbation since my niece moved there and it really ain't bad at all. Nor is the city centre since they realised that the canals are an attraction rather than an eyesore.

Adelaide

BristolRob (IP Logged)
02 February, 2012 05:04
Johnathan I don't know where you get your "facts"but they are nowhere near reality.
Nobody is predicting a move to Gloucester it is a worse case option.
Moving from Bristol to Gloucester is nowhere near the equivalant to Middlesex relocating.Lots of Gloucestershire is covered in green fields with cows and sheep in them.You wouldn't expect Prince Charles and Princess Ann to live in some urban spread.
It would be no more inconvienient for "Bristol-based supporters" than it is currently for supporters based in the north of the county.Didn't your tool tell you that that 29.19 miles is mainly motorway driving or mainline railway?Trip time being less than an hour door to door if you live reasonably close to a station or the motorway.I would imagine that in London it would take you a great deal longer.
By the way the Bristol-based supporters that you refer are not huge masses.The attendances for CC games at Nevil Road is usually very poor my estimate being when I've been there about 200 to 300.I would say they would struggles to get 4,000 for your run of the miil OD game and maybe about 6,000 for the hit and giggle.Most of them would be either in the bars or close by or on their phones telling their mates what a great time they are having.

Who put the A in Trego?

BristolRob (IP Logged)
02 February, 2012 08:12
As JW posted at 18.20 in 1st February on the Glous thread it would be 29.19miles if Glos(note no u in abbreviation)relocate to The Wagon Works.Shouldn't distances be either in linear or metric not a mixture.
Presuming that distance is from Nevil Road. If travelling from North Bristol would be a reduction of approx 1mile(can't be bothered to get my tool out)and from South Bristol a further 2 miles(approx)

As JW refered on Ist February at 15.03to two grounds in South Bristol that Somerset played at is because for cricketing purposes the boundary used between Somerset and Gloucestershire is the River Avon.

While on the subject of Glos Downend Cricket Club,the home of W.G.Grace, are looking at the possibility of selling their small triangular shaped ground as they have outgrown it's location between two roads and a church.Hopefully they will be able to relocate in Downend but the possibility of finding a suitable area in Downend is not too good.Hopefully they could relocate in the Downend area so as not to be too much inconvienience to their players and members.

Who put the A in Trego?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net