cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Harris reward for digging us out of trouble in his Garden

Ponting to concentrate on Tests
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:21
[I have changed the title of this thread, although I can't be bothered to change any other aspect of this post]

Ricky Ponting has emulated Andrew Strauss by announcing his retirement from ODIs, thus ending a career in which he scored 13,704 runs @ 42.03 in 375 ODIs. However, he appears keen to continue playing in Test cricket.

The February 2012 issue of The Cricketer had a feature about the relative merits of him and Sachin Tendulkar, and it pointed out statistics such as Ponting had played in more wins than any other player in Tests (106) and ODIs (262) and that he had spent 729 days of his career ranked top of the rankings for Test batsmen and 493 days of his career ranked top of the rankings for ODI batsmen.

I know that several cricket supporters worldwide gained enjoyment from watching Ponting, and I know that some believe him to be one of the greatest (if not the greatest) batsmen ever, so they will be sad that he has now played his final ODI, but relieved that he will continue in Tests. It was rumoured that this would happen, as he was dropped from Australia's ODI side despite briefly regaining the captaincy due to an injury to Michael Clarke.

Anyone wishing to analyse his career statistics can do so on CricketArchive or Cricinfo.

He says that if a county offers him a deal, then he may consider it.

It was feared that he would retire from all forms of cricket, and so I planned a post according to that scenario, but the fact he has only retired from ODIs meant I had to rejigg it a little bit, although I think this post has come out reasonably well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 09:38 by Jonathan Winsky.

Re: Ponting retires from ODIs
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 07:03
My view on Ponting is-

Great cricketer

but not a great human being.

I hope he is still around in 2013, so he can suffer the pain of playing in an ashes losing team one last time.

Vic. (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 07:47
A fine cricketer, learnt his trade playing under a master, extremely poorly treated by English football style crowds. A true grafter who laid hid head on the block. Hope he is around for a few more goes and who would bet (if we were allowed) against a swansong like his predecessor achieved.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 08:47
Punter or Hussein?
Punter or Vaughan?
No brainer for me.

Re: Ponting to concentrate on Tests
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:40
Actually, Ricky Ponting hasn't officially retired from ODIs, although he says that he does not expect to be recalled to Australia's side in the format. Either way, his ODI career seems to be at an end.

I might as well adjust the title of this thread to reflect that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net