cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Can it get any worse?

Urgent Call to Help the Moderators
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 15:58
As MTWD is approaching our 10 year’s anniversary I am writing this as a plea for help for the moderators. We have managed to keep matters ticking over for the winter period and are glad we now have more than enough articles to keep us going till the season starts.

However, with the new season around the corner, the demands for MTWD are higher with regular reports required and more traffic on the site. This coincides with myself, due to other commitments, not having so much time to devote to the site. Comeback Gatt and Kimmy provide able back up in times of need but they also have other considerations, which limits their time.

Therefore, I am requesting help from outside of us to share the workload. I am not suggesting becoming a full time moderator, unless you want to, but providing assistance with some of our duties. These full into the following categories:

1/ Uploading reports and articles. Often we receive a report on the same day, which is great, but there is no one around to upload it. On occasions these have gone up the day after another days play and is out of context. To fulfill this role is not rocket science but some degree of IT know how is required.

2/ Housekeeping. Stickying key articles and unstickying old ones. When we are behind with this the message board becomes unbalanced. It is not difficult to do and not that time consuming, but would be useful if someone else kept an eye on. I’m also looking to close threads that are clogged up with 100+ comments and reopen as new as these create internal problems.

3/ Warnings etc for any misbehavior. While things aren’t as bad as they have been it is guaranteed there are going to be issues at some stage. Any ban/suspensions are not taken lightly. Any help with helping as we reach a consensus in these instances would be welcome.

If anyone wishes to help in any of these areas we would be really grateful. Please either PM me or email us mtwdadmin@googlemail.com.

If there is no response it is likely that MTWD will not survive the season.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/03/2012 15:14 by BeefyRoberts.

Re: Urgent Call to Help the Moderators
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 17:38
I would be willing to help out in some of the above tasks, although I know that my poor disciplinary record may count against me.

Every now and again, I see instances where it would be in the interests of the site to delete a post or to merge some threads, but there is little I can do in these instances due to me not having the necessary privileges.

Even when I have lots of work or reading to do, I am usually able to spend several hours each day on the site.

I hope the site can continue for many more generations.

10 March, 2012 18:00
Go on JW, contact Kev via the link above,you know you want to and with your pc skills(if not your interpersonal ones) your a shoe in mate.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 18:15
But what would happen when Jonathan has to ban himself; or issue himself with a private (or even public) warning!

Tell you what JW- If you offer to do thhe difficult stuff, like downloading things, maybe I might volunteer to do the easy bits. I've already sent email, which is what volunteers were asked to do.

10 March, 2012 18:41
I don't really like sending PMs, as I tend to prefer that everyone knows my business. If I went through the proper channels to offer help, then it would imply I am desperate to offer help.

Hopefully everyone can work together to maintain or improve the quality of MTWD.

10 March, 2012 18:55
Email? You use that don't you? email Kev !!!!!!

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 19:52
Have sent email to you Kev.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 21:57
I'm grateful for 3 willing , not sure yet whether able, volunteers.

Communication between moderators by PM or e mail essential and occasionally verbal discussions take place. JW sadly due to this, your PC skills which I wish I had, cannot be used for the benefit of moderating the site.

Barmy Kev

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 22:40
Kev.

I have sent you a pm on this subject.

10 March, 2012 23:25
I am sad about this, as I was hopeful of merging the ecb.co.uk interview with Scott Newman, who is linked with a loan move to Kent and Newman out on loan? threads (probably using the shorter title) and maybe add some polls to the start of threads (for example, have a poll asking whether or not posters would welcome Eoin Morgan back to Middlesex then merge that poll with the EOIN MORGAN thread).

I guess these things will all have to remain as fantasies of mine.

I am confident that those who do receive a promotion will perform the necessary tasks well.

11 March, 2012 06:54
Your pc skills will be sought(sometimes via PM) and your help in pointing things out like all in your above post appreciated.

Just a shame you feel unhappy using PM's / email to communicate JW, with matters like discipline moderators can not conduct business in "open court".

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
11 March, 2012 18:53
Further to this request I’m overwhelmed by the many offers of support. I am delighted to announce Chunkinargyll and Diamond will be helping out with various duties that covers all areas of moderating between them.

Anyone else who offered and I have not set you up as moderator, thank you and am sorry on this occasion we are now sorted. I will provide Beefy with some training as back up.

JW if I am struggling with something really technical, perhaps I can call upon your services to assist? This will mean me e mailing or PMing you and you replying.

For now the future of MTWD is in safe hands

Barmy Kev

11 March, 2012 19:02
"Safe hands"? I reckon I'm the Gary Sprake (there's one for the kiddies to goggle) of the pc world Kev.

A pleasure to be able to contribute a little more to a site that has been part of my Middlesex ccc life for a good few years now.

Sorry for the Leeds Utd reference Beefy but I couldn't
think of a worse howler than that one.

Just be nice to each other and keep our job easy.We do not expect everyone to agree at all times but be polite in your opposition to others views and I for one do not have a problem.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
11 March, 2012 20:12
... and just to say the reason I put myself forward was because alot of the time everyone else will be at Lords, or Uxbridge, and sometimes during the games it feels like I am the only one at home on my computer. Therefore it seemed logical that in the unlikely event there is a problem whilst you are all at a match, I can hit the 'hide' button, and ask Kev for guidance later on. I think all of us instinctivly know what is, and isn't acceptable, so I'm not expecting any problems.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
11 March, 2012 21:21
And I should add this will be a relief to me as I have been alerted to problems at work, while at games or on holiday in the past. This extra back up is most helpful.

Barmy Kev

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 08:22
Quote:
The Diamond ruled ok
Sorry for the Leeds Utd reference Beefy but I couldn't think of a worse howler than that one.

I can think of plenty but they're all from the non-league world and thus won't mean much to most people - although I do see a lot of non-league 'faces' at cricket and vice-versa.

Thanks and good luck to the new moderators.

13 March, 2012 23:21
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
maybe add some polls to the start of threads (for example, have a poll asking whether or not posters would welcome Eoin Morgan back to Middlesex then merge that poll with the EOIN MORGAN thread)

I first got this idea when a poll was started about Jamie Dalrymple's return to Middlesex, and then the poll was merged into the appropriate thread.

However, it is neither the end of the world nor the end of MTWD if I have to keep any ideas where I see little opportunities to be creative to myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net