cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Tribute to Diamond at Leicester

Current Page: 53 of 53

Re: Football thread another new one
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 23:32
It would have been great had England won the FIFA World Cup, but sadly it is not meant to be.

Apparently, our run to the semi-finals means that it is the start of a successful era. Where have I heard that said before? Actually, it might not be such a bad thing if there is a parallel with Middlesex, as we finished second in the County Championship in 2015 and won it the following season, so hopefully the England football team can build on their reasonably successful 2018 World Cup by winning Euro 2020 and/or Qatar 2022. The winners of the last three World Cups have all failed to progress beyond the group stage in the subsequent tournament, so at least we haven’t busted our chances of winning in Qatar!

Before the tournament, I would have said that an ideal tournament for England would have been reaching at least the quarter-final stage, with the circumstances of our elimination being that we came up against one of the heavyweight nations and lost valiantly. I suppose we lost valiantly and were eliminated by a more experienced side, but I would have been disappointed had someone told me before the tournament that the team to knock us out would be Croatia. However, Croatia have clearly done something right to have beaten Argentina and hosts Russia on the way to being a win away from being world champions.

I doubt that I will be able to watch Saturday’s third-place play-off match, as my parents and I will be at the Bluebell Railway. This fixture is often called the match that no-one wants to play. However, it is much better than having long been eliminated or having not qualified. To finish third and to beat Belgium would mark a nice last taste of the World Cup. The last time England were involved in this fixture was when they lost 2-1 to hosts Italy in 1990. That match took place at the Stadio San Nicola in Bari, which is a city I recently visited when my cousin got married. However, I was unable to catch sight of the ground, as it is situated as far from the centre of the nearest city as the Ageas Bowl is!

adelaide (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 00:42
Croatia is an experienced team with four or five top class players. It took them time but they worked us out and our playing out of defence became the hopeful long ball, which is reversion to type when defending a one goal lead. No shame in the defeat. While getting to the final would have been fantastic, I think Croatia will give France a better game than we would have done.

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 00:52
Oh well,it's not coming home.
But,no disgrace for a young,exciting squad that Southgate is building.Went further than most (myself included,I said quater finals),And put English football back on the map.
We are a squad without prima-donnas that want to be seen,but a good squad whom seem to get on well.
Southgate is becoming a top,well respected manager,it's great to see an ENGLISH manager in the spotlight,he deserves a contract extension.
Onward the squad goes,growing in confidence and who knows what they just might achieve.
The 3rd/4th place game doesn't much interest me just a glorified friendly in my eyes,so instead of watching that,i will be in Weymouth for the annual seafood and ale festival!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 04:16 by BeefyRoberts.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 17:35
Great option Beefy
Can't go this year,have a pint for me in The Red Lion in Hope Square 🍻

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 09:49
For what it is worth I think I have a minority view on England's performance in this World Cup.

We beat Tunisia and Panama in the group stages, that was surely expected. In the last 16 game we then struggled to beat a very ordinary Columbia side on penalties. In the quarter final we played our best game of the tournament by beating Sweden, a decent side. In the semi final we lost to Croatia who over the 120 minutes I believe deserved to win that game.

The fact is, the draw was very kind to us, and established teams like Germany Brazil Spain Argentina to name but four, were not that good in this World Cup and when will that happen again.

I must also have a word about Croatia.A country whose entire population amounts I am told to less than half of the population of London.It is truly a wonderful historic achievement for them to get to the final and though everyone expects France to win I for one hope Croatia are crowned champions.

England have so far played 6 games in this World Cup. Won 4 Lost 2. We have a young very talented side which hopefully will improve. However, I feel we had a tremendous chance to win this World Cup and sadly we have missed out. If someone would have said before the tournament started, we would play in the knockout stages, Columbia, Sweden and Croatia to get to the final no one would have believed you.

Sorry for all the edits, I am half asleep

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2018 10:11 by lower pavilion.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 12:24
Contrary to the doom and gloom experts, I for one expected a quarter final minimum. The Colombia game was a rough house deliberately designed to put us off. They did'nt.

To those who question the teams we played. Hear this. Sweden had eliminated Holland and Italy to get there. No mean feat. Also for those who carp about England's opponents: you can only play what is in front of you.

I don't remember too much said about the cushy draw both LPL and Manure obtained in the Champions League bar Man City.

Southgate has established the basis of a team going forward. A couple of players short. A striker to support Kane. And a midfielder who can pass accurately and score goals.

Sterling so far has failed as support striker. Like Lingard but a bit lightweight.

Pickford, Trippier, Slabhead. Stones would get in a lot of teams. Walker and Young did ok.

Losing to Belgium and Croatia no disgrace. Belgium have a much better squad than the much vaunted Germans who looking at their under age sides may be in for a not so good spell.

England hammered both thir under age sides 4-1 in proper matches.

Croatia have an excellent midfield. Where we lost against them was the failure in the first half when on top, to score a second goal. Any team 1-0 down at ht will fancy their chances. Croatia were better second half and from theron.

A well organised World Cup and an indication that the smaller countries can and will challenge the old guard. Most have skilled coaches. For the media jacks here: that penny has yet too drop.

Oh and project fear put around by the usual suspects failed too happen. Now where have I seen that before?

'

Current Page: 53 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net