Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Current Page: 44 of 54
Re: Football thread another new one
adelaide 17 October, 2016 17:22
Mr Lineker once said "so it was all square in the Borussia derby" but I think he was pulling people's legs.

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man 28 October, 2016 14:29
I note that after the fracas at the London Stadium on Wednesday, that Sky have now appended the name, The District Line Derby in matches between West Ham and Chelsea.

adelaide 28 October, 2016 16:36
That's bad timing, given that this season is the first in which West Ham's home ground is not served by the District Line. Will Sky make West Ham v Arsenal the DLR Derby?

Adelaide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2016 16:37 by adelaide.

BeefyRoberts 28 October, 2016 19:05
Might as well carry it on..lol
Leeds play Liverpool in next round of the League Cup. Will it be called the Trans Pennine Express Derby?

Seaxe_Man 31 October, 2016 15:53
In the Moor Street / New Street derby. The eventual 1-1 all draw always looked on the cards.

West Midlands Police used a drone at 400 feet altitude,to monitor what was happening in St Andrews regarding crowd behaviour.

Perhaps the Met could use this at the London Stadium, though it could get shot down.

The Lily Whites finally found their form of the first game versus the Toon back in August, to dispose of high flying (pun) Huddersfield Town.

Town had only conceded 7 goals on the road prior to this game, so to leak 5 was a blow.

COYW. Onwards and upwards.

Going to Wembley on Wednesday to see Totti v Leverkusen in the Champions League, having luckily won a ticket in a Club Wembley ballot.

Then Brentford on Friday night.

The Diamond ruled ok 02 November, 2016 13:18
See you there SM for the England v Kraut derby smiling smiley

Thanks for the ticket mate , much appreciated that you should think of a poor ticketless Yid for this game smiling smiley

COYS!

lower pavilion 26 November, 2016 20:56
On my way home from a happy Stamford Bridge, having seen Chelsea beat Tottenham 2-1.

We were not at our best today but we were playing Tottenham and the last time Tottenham won a league game at Stamford Bridge the late king was alive.
I am a very happy and contented Chelsea man tonight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/11/2016 21:13 by lower pavilion.

adelaide 27 November, 2016 00:23
LP

I thought you had stopped commenting on football-related threads but I suppose you just can't help yourself. Sounds like a game of two halves, or perhaps of 44 minutes and 46 minutes.

Which late king did you have in mind? Martin Luther? Elvis?

On the plus side, all out warfare did not break out this time.

Adelaide

lower pavilion 27 November, 2016 00:47
Adelaide.
I have not actually posted on this site for rather a long time, let alone not posting on the football thread.
The reason why I had in particular not posted on the football thread for a long time wss because I felt it all got a little too personal, particularly being up against the many Tottenham supporters on this site, but I must confess I found the temptation too much to resist this evening
Chelsea's record in the Abramovic era, starting in season 2003-2004 has been truly remarkable. In this present period of transition for my club, I would gladly have taken 4th place at the start of the season, but my optimism is beginning to grow with each game.
Next weekend is a real test, as we are away at Manchester City.
However, that game can take care of itself, and trust me, I shall enjoy the rest of this weekend.

BeefyRoberts 29 November, 2016 22:12
The game tonight vs Liverpool....no disgrace in a 2-0 defeat,we played well and if that shot hadn't hit the post.....
Amazing 6000 away fans made it like a home game,out sung the home fans.
Jurgen Klopp at the end shook all the Leeds players hands as well...he sure is a decent guy.

But,thoughts are with Brazilian side Chapecoense and all connected with the club after today's disaster.

lower pavilion 03 December, 2016 15:46
This has been a tragic and difficult week for football.
The terrible and truly awful plane crash and now these constant and numerous reports of sexual abuse.
It was a relief to get back to actually watching football today and of course a massive result for my team Chelsea. However,a very long way still to go of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2016 15:57 by lower pavilion.

BeefyRoberts 03 December, 2016 20:20
POW...POW.
Could I actually dream of another 'something special' happening after dismantling Villa today?
Brighton next up..live on Sky Friday

chunkyinargyll 03 December, 2016 21:18
A bit of an own goal here by Chelsea-

[twitter.com]

I saw this live around 6 pm.

Seems BBC were only over the line and on Chelsea property by about 6 inches.

But- given what the report was about, not really the time for Mr Jobsworth to step in and silence a report. I mean, if they were on the public road it would have been none of Mr Jobsworth's business- and the place was not busy- deserted in fact.

BarmierKev 04 December, 2016 17:18
A Liverpool fan walks into a travel agents and says "I'm looking for a short break in England this Christmas", the travel agent says "you can't beat Bournemouth this time of year"

lower pavilion 11 December, 2016 15:33
On my way home from Stamford Bridge and yet another victory for my fast improving team.
However, it is rumoured that Chelsea face a possible points deduction for failing to control their players.
The last two incidents that this apparently happened. The home game against Tottenham towards the end of last season when the visitors had nine players booked, a record that is likely never to be beaten and we I think had just two players booked and where Tottenham's behaviour throughout the game was a total disgrace and they clearly could not accept that Chelsea had put an end to their title dreams.
Fast forward to this season
In the last minute Chelsea were beating Manchester City away 3-1. The game was all but over. Aguero committed one of the worst fouls I have seen in the modern era which set off the confrontation and Manchester City finished the game with nine men and we had all eleven of our players still on the field.
A funny sort of justice.
Footnote.
Sorry for edits. A rather rocky train which makes typing difficult.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 15:53 by lower pavilion.

adelaide 11 December, 2016 16:31
LP

"Not controlling your players" tends to be about mass confrontations with either the opposition or the referee (or you can go for both!). That is undoubtedly what happened at Stamford Bridge and Maine Road and both teams were, I think, "done" in each case.

Your entire team could get booked for individual examples of GBH but if there was no confrontation, there would be no "not controlling your players" charge. There would of course be a fine for having so many players booked and quite right too.

Were Chalobah and Fabregas booked for respectively a hard push to the chest on Aguero and a sly slap to the face of Fernandinho? I am surprised that Fabregas has not faced retrospective action on that, which provoked Fernandinho into getting sent off. I thought hands to the face was supposed to be an automatic red.

Post when you're winning, you only post when you're winning...

Adelaide

lower pavilion 11 December, 2016 17:26
Adelaide
I think I have only posted after just two games this season. Bearing in mind Chelsea have now won nine league games in a row I think that is fair enough don't you?. However, I will promise to post after the next league game we lose to make you content.

As regards my other points.
I say again. The last two major disciplinary incidents with Chelsea involved the home game last season, where in my opinion, Tottenham's behaviour was a total disgrace throughout the entire game, resulting in your team, having nine bookings to I think Chelsea's two bookings. That says all you need to know as to which team was the guilty party.

The Manchester City game this season ended up with Manchester City reduced to nine men against Chelsea's eleven men and Aguero's disgraceful needless awful foul at the end of the game caused the confrontation when Manchester City had already lost the game. Despite the FA looking in great detail at the confrontation, they came to the correct conclusion that no Chelsea player deserved to be sent off. Once again that says all you need to know about that game and which team was the guilty party.
It reminds me years ago when someone would break into your house. You would defend yourself and your family against the intruder by knocking the idiot to the ground. The bloke who breaks into your house gets away with a fine and the home owner ends up in prison.

A very long way still to go of course, and a lot of games still to be played, but at the start of the season I would gladly after last season, have taken Chelsea finishing in fourth place but now I am getting a bit greedy.
Manchester Utd and Jose did Chelsea a very big favour today, but as I say a very long way still to go, and a great deal can and will still happen before the end of the season.
By the way, I do not say this very often. Come on West Ham.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 17:35 by lower pavilion.

adelaide 11 December, 2016 18:26
LP

You are missing the point entirely. One team being "the guilty party" in the wider sense is irrelevant to whether or not the other team is (also) guilty of failing to control its players. Chelsea failed to do so, so they got charged. In real life you wouldn't get off an affray charge because the other lot were the (more) guilty party.

Quite who is supposed to control the players in those circumstances is a moot point. At that point the manager has next to no influence (unless his antics have egged on his players). In a wider sense I suppose you could say that the club has failed to instil sufficiently within their players that they have a responsibility not to brawl.

Adelaide

lower pavilion 11 December, 2016 19:06
Adelaide.

We will have to agree to differ.
In both those aforesaid games, Chelsea were by and large the entirely innocent party, but unfortunately we allowed ourselves to be provoked.

If Tottenham had behaved in even a half decent manner throughout the game, there would have been no problems at all. I think from the Tottenham team that started that game, only one outfield player was not booked, which was completely and absolutely ridiculous.

If Manchester City's Aguero had not made that terrible awful needless foul on Luiz in the last minute of the game for no apparent reason, there would have no problems at all.The game as a contest was all over, so why did he commit that dreadful foul.

Well done Manchester United. Well done West Ham. A very good Sunday for Chelsea and a rather pleasant gap of six points between us and third placed Liverpool, but all this can change very quickly indeed, in what is surely the most competitive league in world football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 19:53 by lower pavilion.

adelaide 11 December, 2016 21:33
LP

I consider myself severely provoked by your unnecessarily bringing up the behaviour of the Spurs team at the Bridge. As such I now expect to be able to come round to your house, have a punch up and then tell the police that I am "by and large the innocent party" so they should not arrest me.

Fernadinho's defence for his red card would obviously succeed on Planet LP as well because he was provoked by Fabregas.

Don't react en masse to provocation and you don't get a charge. Simple.

Adelaide

Current Page: 44 of 54

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net