Latest news:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Let the 2019 season begin

Current Page: 47 of 54
Re: Football thread another new one
Seaxe_Man 07 February, 2017 13:52
Adelaide. You have jogged my memory. Yes the long ball devotee was Charles Hughes.

Thompson I think was around in the FA hierarchy around that time I think.

Hughes mantra is still applicable in the last few minutes especially added time.

You need the ball in the oppos box and playing through midfield takes too much time to get it up to say Andy Carroll.

Klopp plays mostly long ball, the long crossfield ball from left to right favoured.

Guardiola is starting to realise that occasionally it is also required. Bravo the bloke he replaced Hart with, has proved to be good with feet but not hands.

Before being dropped. His stats were 9 on target, 8 went in.

adelaide 07 February, 2017 14:42
SM - I think Klopp favours long pass rather than long ball. Have to as he often plays with no proper centre forward. The difference being that the long pass is intended for the man, not for the man to compete for.

Glenn Hoddle was the model long passer. There was one he delivered from 50 yards or so fro Garth Crooks in the Cup semifinal replay against Wolves which was exquisite. Just the right spin and curl to make the finish easy. Quite a different kettle of fish to the ball where the CF and CH are staining against each other to win it, or the long ball into the corner designed to do no more than win a (long) throw in.

Last few minutes is different. I suspect that it also increase the chances of conceding, given how good teams are on the break these days, but if you are losing that doesn't usually matter.

It's a thought though. Even for footballing teams of the early 70s, goalkeepers in English teams invariably drop-kicked the ball long for two big guys to compete against two other big guys. For Spurs it was Chivers and Gilzean at the front, England and Beal or Collins at the back. But that was just one phase of the game. Long ball extended it to everything. Taylor was supposed to have said about his England defenders when they were looking for a pass "can we not just knock it"? Do I not like that!

Adelaide

The Diamond ruled ok 18 February, 2017 06:29
Cup football this weekend. Getting down and damp with it at Southall FC v Cleethorpes Town in the FA vase this afternoon and spending tomorrow worrying whether Spurs who have been pretty awful of late are able to get past an improving Fulham given that they will probably put out their best side and Potch will tinker.

Can't see too much tinkering at Hanwell Town at 3pm today as Wembley beckons from either side,Cleethorpes are 2 levels above the 'All ,not that that has worried them at all this season in the Vase (amateur cup).

£6 to get in,just off the Western Avenue,right close to Perivale tube.Can't get a ticket for a big cup game? Then get along and support (or at least give your cash to) a good amateur side in the county of Middlesex.

The standard of football is not bad either,ok they wouldn't have managed to beat Gent but then again nor did Spurs.

adelaide 18 February, 2017 11:07
I went past the Spurs ground(s) yesterday. The new one really is going up at a rate of knots. What made ma laugh though was a nearby cafe called the Three Points Cafe! Not quite as good as the notice in a takeaway near the ground years ago which "offered" Donor Kebabs.

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man 18 February, 2017 14:00
I am aware that Fulham do not feature on the Telegraph Sports pecking order. It's all about Flopp's Kop and Manure for them. But an article today by a bloke called James Ducker was a hoot.

Under the headline' So, why are there so many FA Cup shocks this year'.

He goes onto quote ...the large number of home draws for the minnows. Oxford, Lincoln, Sutton and Fulham all took advantage of home draws in the previous round.

My FFC mate said we are at least a stickleback.

In beating Hull City, hardly a Great White Shark, we were at least the size of a decent salmon.

Ducker is their Northern Correspondent. Needs to get out more and not spend all of his time on Flopp's Kop.(Sm109)

The Diamond ruled ok 18 February, 2017 19:23
A bridge too far for the 'All today , well beaten by Clee Town who brought about 100 supporters down on at least two coaches,stayed overnight and provided the local economy with a boast in beer sales.Good luck to them on the road to Wembley.

Southall got it about right off the pitch,gate price £8 (£6 previous round) , program( £1 previous round), last round played on a Sunday this one on a Saturday with a lot more league teams playing and FA Cup games on to. Got a fair few through the gate to watch a decent game but the fact Clee had a fair few ex pros shone through. 'All gave it their best shot though and I can see myself going up to Hanwell to watch a few of their league games before the season ends.

Seaxe_Man 21 February, 2017 11:55
Diamond. Wealdstone still riding high in both of the Middlesex Senior cups.

Albeit there was some hooliganism in the local derby with Harrow Borough between groups of school/college boys.

The Harrow Borough flag was abused. Old Bill called to calm it down. Winners Stones 1-0.

adelaide 21 February, 2017 14:29
I suppose it was rather appropriate that the pie eating from last night, hilarious at the time, now leaves a rather nasty taste behind in the mouth.

Pity, because Sutton arguably caused Arsenal a few more problems than Fulham had for Spurs on Sunday. I was surprised at how big that gap was and how a player bigged up like Cairney found he had nowhere to go. The only worrying thing about that match from a Spurs point of view was that such dominance led to only seven shots on target. I did like the Richard Osman comment at how annoyed he was that Spurs had not disrespected the Cup. I wouldn't like to be sitting behind him in the stand though.

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man 07 March, 2017 12:30
A lack lustre performance by FFC Adelaide. However, your man Mauricio did'nt think your reserves could beat us and turned out your strongest XI bar two.

A back handed compliment to FFC methinks.

You won it fair and square but then we stood off and let you play, which meant we were gonna lose.

The comparison stood out on the following Thursday. Gent, arguably no better than FFC did'nt stand off but competed, and won.

The turning point for me came early on, where Malone, who had a mare, casually allowed the ball to go out of play.

From the resultant throw, Kane scored. Take him out of your side and I suspect a goal drought follows. Too reliant on one man, good as he is.

Block K Johnny Haynes Stand for you tonight Beefy. Leeds bringing 7500 you reckon. It will be noisy, though the away end only accommodates 6200 to my knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2017 12:43 by Seaxe_Man.

BeefyRoberts 07 March, 2017 12:33
Yep,that's my area SM.
Going to be a good game,hope we are more awake than vs Birmingham..although a smash n grab for 3 points was good enough.
Leeds 2-1 tonight Roy 😊

Seaxe_Man 07 March, 2017 12:45
Maybe not if we bring our A Game Beefy. We will both know by around 9.40 pm.

Seaxe_Man 07 March, 2017 12:49
And Adelaide. The media practice of 'bigging up or talking down' usually backfires.

It is just their personal opinion at the end of the day, which does'nt have to be right, though the gullible and easily persuaded, their fan base, usually think so.

Seaxe_Man 07 March, 2017 12:59
Just checked FFC website Beefy. Your Block is sold out plus about 10 others. Tickets left, only on sale to those with a FFC booking history from the Ticket Office.

The away end is sold out bar P2. Should be fun.

Seaxe_Man 07 March, 2017 12:59
Just checked FFC website Beefy. Your Block is sold out plus about 10 others. Tickets left, only on sale to those with a FFC booking history from the Ticket Office.

The away end is sold out bar P2. Should be fun.

adelaide 07 March, 2017 14:37
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Gent, arguably no better than FFC did'nt stand off but competed, and won.

Managing to lose to Gent, even with ten men, took some doing and I think they had even fewer chances than Fulham. I just hope Dele Alli learns from what happened but unfortunately few players seem to.

Harry Kane is outstanding in that team, though he and the players around him just seem to be ideally suited to each other, so he might not do so well if he moved (or indeed at international level, even if the whole team is not affected by the usual tournament paralysis). His excellence creates its own problem as any striker moving to the club knows they have little chance of displacing him. So we get Vincent Janssen, whose hold up play is actually good but who might well become the subject of a Carl Leaburn style top (as in "I have seen Vincent Janssen score (other than from a penalty"). With Kane you get the whole package - he may not be the best at any individual part of the game but he is very good at all of them, including that gift of knowing where the space is.

Tom Cairney was the player who was supposed to cause Spurs problems and it was disappointing that he was so disappointing. I did like Richard Osman's half time comment that eh was disgusted that Spurs had not disrespected the Cup!

Adelaide

Seaxe_Man 09 March, 2017 13:10
Adelaide. Personally I don't see Kane moving from Spurs any time soon if at all. Just signed a new deal, long term.

Add to that, your new ground is leading to a upgrade of a run down area of London.

I was reading that Spurs will be creating jobs in the local area.

So good on you for that. Similar to the Wembley redevelopment which has raised the profile of the run down area known as Wembley Park to a much higher level.

This despite the northern lobby who wanted Wembley moved along side the M6 near Preston.

Lawro lives in Preston.

So given the new stadium el al, I think Kane will want to stay around and be part of that.

As you say, he fits in with Spurs style. The limited media cannot imagine that would'nt be the case elsewhere, but history says it often does. Andy Carroll.

Btw Beefy. As we discussed. FFC with 76% possession were burgled by Leeds on Tuesday. However a reluctance to shoot, nay refuse, did'nt help our cause one bit.

The own goal was very careless and stemmed from the foreign managers penchant for backpasses to the goalkeeper.

An enjoyable match. And Cairney's goal on 95 I thought would never come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2017 13:13 by Seaxe_Man.

adelaide 13 March, 2017 10:17
Quote:
adelaide
So we get Vincent Janssen, whose hold up play is actually good but who might well become the subject of a Carl Leaburn style top (as in "I have seen Vincent Janssen score (other than from a penalty").

The printing presses are rolling...

Somehow I can't see him bridging the gap if Mr Kane is out again but I'd just love to be proven wrong!

Adelaide

rod/ed 13 March, 2017 21:03
Looks like my Owls are feeling the pressure of hanging on to sixth place in the Championship. Could lose that spot tomorrow to FFC but then regain it on Friday by beating Reading. This league should be in the balance to the very end with the final day fixture being Sheffield Wednesday v Fulham!!
Certainly more exciting the the premier leagues north and south of the border.

adelaide 14 March, 2017 13:17
Have Chelsea fans got short memories or are they simply starting to see Mourinho the way others did? If another team had kicked Hazard as much when he was managing the player, all hell would have broken loose.

If (or should I say when) Chelsea lift the title this year, they will have done so with a manager who does not have a permanent scowl on his face and does not go out of his way to cause offence. That percolates through to the team, even (for some of the time) Costa! Winners to not have to be unlikeable.

Adelaide

BeefyRoberts 15 March, 2017 17:13
Last night,went to local side,Hayes and Yeading United vs Weymouth.
Hayes are playing at Beaconsfield at the moment,as their ground has failed a certificate (new ground).
The pitch was dreadful,due to 3 clubs playing there,Beaconsfield SYCOB,Slough Town and Hayes.
This week used on Sat,Sun and Tues.More like a ploughed field.
I worry about non-league clubs,just how do they survive? Last night..floodlights turned on 40 mins before kick-off,no turnstiles in operation we paid a lady at a table in the bar,she gave a ticket and programme was £2,programme covered 2 home games.
An attendance of 151 last night, £10 to get in.
Hayes home crowds recently have been..201,62 (cup),223,69 (cup),159,157,152,167,139 and 151.
Out of those figures,I presume they pay Beaconsfield to play there and all overheads.Referee and linesmen costs as well.
I know a lot is done by volunteers,Weymouth have that set up.
Just how do these clubs exist?
And,Hayes could be relegated this year with a new stadium as well.

Current Page: 47 of 54

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net