cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Highs and Lows
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
26 September, 2015 12:56
Sitting here, with the season done and dusted, Thought it would be good for a few Highs and Lows from 2015,so just to start the ball rolling,4 of each from myself...
Highs
Simmo batting improving
Toby ton
Harris bowling and his 9-34 v Durham
Victory over Yorkshire
Lows
Dexter leaving
White ball cricket
Ravi not getting games(2 spinners)
Worcester performance

Lets see some others!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2015 13:14 by BeefyRoberts.

Re: Highs and Lows
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
26 September, 2015 13:31
As above, plus.

High

NGubbs televised 141 v Sussex in Royal London (followed 2 days later by 96 v Essex in same comp)

Low

NGubbs out injured shortly after after making his real breakthrough.

26 September, 2015 17:06
Highs
Malans ton at Trent Bridge
Harry getting 9 bowling into a hurricane
Compo 149 v Yorkies
TRJ maiden 100

Lows
One day cricket
Lack of wickets from spinners
Rain at MTS
Morgan - JUST GO!

Fozzie (IP Logged)
26 September, 2015 17:15
Can't argue with any of the above. My highlights from the matches I saw were James Harris taking 9 wickets v Durham (bowling Collingwood 1st ball was my #1 highlight), AC and Gubbo's stand v Sussex in the Royal London, and Toby's ton. And a general highlight was the number of resilient recoveries made from unpromising positions.

Low points:

- A few excellent wins in T20 being outweighed by the usual dross in the other games
- The lack of batting bonus points
- Eoin Morgan's form for Middlesex after being terrific in the ODI series v NZ
- Tom Helm getting injured in the opening match and missing the rest of the season.

snicko (IP Logged)
26 September, 2015 18:00
Highs

Harris - 73 First Class wickets and vital batting contributions - take a bow.
Roland-Jones - deserved better returns for his bowling.
Malan v Sussex/Glamorgan - sublime timing.
The grit and fightback v Notts (twice), Somerset, Durham & Yorkies.
Ollie - caught everything that came his way.

Lows
First innings batting (lack of bonus points)
Vinny leaving - big shoes to fill.
The vulgar Yorkies who infiltrated MTWD and letting down their club.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
27 September, 2015 11:02
I share all these highs and lows.

Stand out high from me beating Sussex at Hove , my first witnessed 4 day away win for ages. We really battled and continually was slipping away and we thought back.

Low-was that moment on Headingley. We were well on top and somehow allowed a massive last wicket stand by not attacking which shifted the mommentum.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

adelaide (IP Logged)
27 September, 2015 19:46
No, Kev, you're wrong. That Yorkshire team is SO good that it is impossible that we could ever have been anywhere near on top at any stage at Headingley!

Adelaide

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
27 September, 2015 19:49
Quote:
adelaide
No, Kev, you're wrong. That Yorkshire team is SO good that it is impossible that we could ever have been anywhere near on top at any stage at Headingley!

Adelaide

I'm not wrong because was asked for my personal low and at the time was a low. That partnership did prove to be the difference.

Rogers and Out (IP Logged)
28 September, 2015 06:23
The partnership between Dawid Malan and Paul Stirling in the T20 at Hove was the best I'd seen from us in that format since Finals Day in 2008.

A shout also for the Second XI with their excellent effort at Arundel in winning the T20 tournament.

On the down side, the T20 loss at the Oval was bad even by our standards.

There were also a couple of matches where even though we lost, the games were close fought.

At Headingley, we ran Yorkshire very close with Johnny Bairstow's century making the difference. In contrast to the recent postings relating to our win at Lord's, the Yorkshire supporters at Headingley were fair minded and appreciative of the efforts of the Middlesex team.

Finally, whilst the 50 over defeat at Blackpool was by no means a feast of fine cricket, it was a gripping game in which we nearly pulled a win out of the fire. The Blackpool ground was very good despite the long queues for drinks and a good day out was had by all.

adelaide (IP Logged)
28 September, 2015 09:42
Quote:
BarmierKev
Quote:
adelaide

Adelaide

I'm not wrong because was asked for my personal low and at the time was a low. That partnership did prove to be the difference.

Think you'd switched off the irony detector. Kev!

Adelaide

dingy bags (IP Logged)
28 September, 2015 21:02
High

Compo's innings at Hove - on a poor pitch dug in and saw us to a total that was always going to be enough.

Low

Ball being hurled at the striker's end at Blackpool while both batsmen were standing in the crease there.

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
29 September, 2015 22:39
Highs
The emergence of Gubbins who looks the real deal
James Harris' return to the form that had 10 Counties competing for his signature
The second XI reaching two Finals and winning one, bodes well for the future
The stunning comeback to crush the alledged unbeatable Yorkshire

Lows
Over rates!!
Consistent 1st innings failures in the Championship leading to just 29pts batting pts (only Durham & Kent had less)
Continued dismal results in white ball cricket, particularly after the renewed focus preseason
Vinny's abrupt departure following the Rogers/Scollay ticket fiasco (which had nothing to do with his departure of course so we are told)

30 September, 2015 04:45
Highs.

The weather was good on most days I tried to watch cricket (for a change).

Watching Ealing cc win the National T20 at Cardiff (bonus day in the sun after T20 Internationals)

Harry's return to what we know he is, a class bowler who got messed with by England but has now sorted it out and added a solid bat to his bag of tricks.

Our general performance in the Championship (given the caveat of that mentioned below).

Lows.

Scheduling of the "Sunday League" meant I only saw one game sad smiley

Rip off prices at some grounds ie The Rose Bowl for admission and parking etc.

Dex leaving, a real low , not felt like this about a player since Knocker Nash announced his retirement.

Our white ball cricket and the over rate in the red ball game.

Only the last one of these can we sort out,the rest are done and dusted so come on Middlesex in 2016 live up to the hype and actually challenge for something, ok we were second to Yorkshire this year but by a country mile and almost the same points off them as we were of Worcstershire in the other direction.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
30 September, 2015 17:00
High: Televised - Mala & Gubbs at Hove
Live (1) Arriving early on Sunday at Lord's for Sussex in CC and getting a comfy seat in front of Presidents Box(MiddxRoom) with coffee and newspaper looking out over a sun drenched ground.Followed by Mala's ton late in the evening.
(2) Watching all the game at Blackpool and then being first out the car park to avoid a queue before the drive home.

Low: Mala's injuries, T20 deja vu

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
23 October, 2015 18:14
Have removed the posting smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2015 11:55 by BeefyRoberts.

24 October, 2015 08:00
Why the link to a Glamorgan kit manufacturer Beefy?
OK it's a horrid shirt, mind you we have had worse I reckon,and we do have a habit of losing in the Principality ( if the rain allows time for it) but to pick on their kit manufacturer is a bit harsh .

24 October, 2015 12:00
Didn't need to remove it Beefy,it confused the hell out of me though smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net