cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP Diamond

Current Page: 11 of 14

Re: Franchise CC
adelaide (IP Logged)
31 March, 2017 14:58
Chunky - Isn't there still a notional postal referendum vote for ECB members?

It is like Brexit, in that even those who didn't want it need it to succeed, because of the consequences of failure. If all that money gets spent for nothing then cricket really is doomed. If it succeeds we might still be doomed, but the operative word is "might".

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
31 March, 2017 15:04

adelaide (IP Logged)
31 March, 2017 15:07
Chunky

Do you think he was related to Gus?

Adelaide

31 March, 2017 15:19
His great uncle, probably.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 12:08
Rod/Ed. I think England players will be auctioned, however as you say, Tests at the same time.

For me that suggests that England players will only play when not required by the Test call ups.

Probably won't leave much room for manouevre but as I read, intended to pump up interest.

The references on this thread,to say that somehow, but unexplained, Brexit and the Grocers Bash are the same animal require Sherlock Holmes to figure out.

They are opposite's. The Remainers case is that being part of a foreign run oligarchy, with no say, is a good thing ie centralised control.

That is exactly the position of the Grocers Bash. For 1.3 mill, all counties have surrendered control to the ECB. ie centralised.

Sorry about the political angle but I did'nt initiate it. Anyway, the Grocers Bash is politics . What's is good for me and maybe cricket. That is the debate.

04 April, 2017 12:15
All I know is you could end up with Paul Stirling playing for Leeds, Dawid Malan for Manchester, John Simpson for Birmingham, and Nick Gubbins for Nottingham, with Johnny Bairstow and Chris Woakes playing for London. Who the hell would a traditional fan support? London- which might not contain a single Middlesex player, or, say, Leeds, if Dawid Malan plays for them?

Complete garbage!

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 12:41
Chunky, I suspect the crucial word in your post is 'traditional'. This tournament, for which I can muster no enthusiasm whatever at this stage, is not aimed at the traditional supporter, but at some undefined new market that research shows will roll up to the game.

I have been known to misquote research myself.....

04 April, 2017 12:57
ss- You're right. It's supposed to be tens of thousands of new supporters at each venue. What they really want is people who will drink a lot, and know nothing about the game- whilst pretending it is all about getting schoolkids to see their first day of cricket.

We are now told they have to be venues that are capable of hosting ODI's- so I assume that rules out Wembley, Stratford, and, erm, Beckenham, (Sm63)

So- if it has to be existing big venues, it might as well be counties. Newcastle, for instance, might be a good place for city cricket- but no good if it has to be Chester-le-street, as that is too far away to attract uncommitted 'fans' after a days work in the city- so- ODI fit venue- but in the wrong place- so I assume not a contender, Newcastle which might have been a useful experiment in city cricket will continue to go unserved.

tallliman (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 18:32
The key issue for me is the secrecy, very little about their "compelling research" has been released. If it's so compelling, release it so we can understand too.

Secondly, if you threw this much publicity at the current blast, surely it might get the same result.

I cant see the auction being completely free. Root will play for the Yorkshire franchise and so on and so forth. It's the the only way they can reinforce the branding.

adelaide (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 20:42
SM

The parallel with Brexit is nothing to do with the actual issues involved. It's simply to do with what attitude people should have to something they opposed once it comes to pass. I can't see anything to be said for hoping the new competition actually fails, any more than there is much to be said for hoping that Brexit fails. In each case, the consequences of it falling flat on its face are not going to be pretty. If, say, the city-based T20 collapses and loses bucketloads in the process, does anyone think county cricket will be in good shape?

That's not to suggest people should be dragooned into silence about the problems they see but - if it happens - would we prefer it to work or to look at closed down cricket grounds sating "told you so"?

Adelaide

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
05 April, 2017 08:29
Adelaide, I do agree with you. As it happens, I opposed Brexit and am not very keen on the new City based T20,and I hope that both may still be the subject of rethinks. If they go ahead though, none of our lives are going to be made any better by complete failure - we shall just have to get used to it and each find the way of life that suits us.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 10:38
As so often, Matthew Engel has written an excellent piece for today's Guardian - well worth a read.
[www.theguardian.com]

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 20:03
At the AGM, the club said that they will post an article on the official website tomorrow about their views on the proposals for the new Twenty20 competition. Richard Goatley made a long speech on the subject, and the gist of what he said (and the gist of what I imagine will be said in the article) is that Middlesex welcome the proposal to increase the popularity of cricket, although they have identified many issues which they would like to be addressed. I found myself agreeing with every single point Goatley made.

I am confident the article will make pleasant reading for those who feared the club would simply say they agree to the new competition without any objections. I am confident supporters of other counties will welcome the article as much as Middlesex supporter will.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 11:53
[www.essexcricket.org.uk]

Another county voting against Franchise cc

19 April, 2017 19:18
I am glad to hear that Essex have raised similar concerns to Middlesex regarding the new competition.

However, it is interesting that Durham have became the latest county to support the proposals, as I reckon Chester-le-street to be the least likeliest of the nine Test grounds to be one of the eight venues for the new tournament, assuming that each team only uses one venue. There are a couple reasons why I am doubtful it will be a venue, one of which is because I don’t think attendances for Twenty20 matches are as high there as at other Test grounds, not least because the local population and transport links there are inferior to rival grounds. As was mentioned in an article about Durham’s financial difficulties, the club really should have sought to build their ground in Newcastle or Sunderland, although to be fair, that would have been easier said than done. Another reason why I doubt Chester-le-street will host matches is because it is technically not even a Test ground for the time being.

It seems a few counties are quite happy to take the £1.3m and accept the new competition, no questions asked.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 08:22
Quote:
adelaide
SM
The parallel with Brexit is nothing to do with the actual issues involved. It's simply to do with what attitude people should have to something they opposed once it comes to pass. I can't see anything to be said for hoping the new competition actually fails, any more than there is much to be said for hoping that Brexit fails. In each case, the consequences of it falling flat on its face are not going to be pretty. If, say, the city-based T20 collapses and loses bucketloads in the process, does anyone think county cricket will be in good shape?

That's not to suggest people should be dragooned into silence about the problems they see but - if it happens - would we prefer it to work or to look at closed down cricket grounds sating "told you so"?

Adelaide

For many people staying in what is basically the 3rd Reich, in another guise, is very definitely unattractive. Not something I would wish on my grandchildren.

The posh boys like the idea as they naively imagine it will always put money in their back pocket.

At that point there is a similarity with the Grocers Bash. Cash.

However, the rest of it is undemocratic as is the Grocers Bash. Both driven from the centre. That cannot be gainsayed.

I am glad that the other part of Norf London, to whit Essex, have joined the probable token gesture by voting with us on this issue.

No harm in letting the Grocer know that his scheme does not have unanimous support.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 11:15
Just received a text from Peter Moore saying that Surrey have voted against the Grocer.

If true, bad news for the Grocer as the Oval with Lords get the best ticket sales under the current competition.

Peter's comment. 'Is there a glimmer of hope'.

adelaide (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 12:29
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
For many people staying in what is basically the 3rd Reich, in another guise, is very definitely unattractive. Not something I would wish on my grandchildren.

I find that comment offensive and unnecessary. Have I missed concentration camps (or Holocaust centres) set up across Europe?

The comment is also irrelevant to the parallel that was being drawn, which is nothing to do with politics, or the merits of the case. It is simply this - if/when it happens, should those who thought it (Brexit or the franchises) a bad idea hope for it to succeed or fail?

Adelaide

23 April, 2017 20:12
In the first episode of the Middlesex Cricket Podcast hosted by Mike Selvey, Richard Goatley has spoken about the new competition,

Current Page: 11 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net