cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

RIP Diamond

Current Page: 13 of 14

Re: Franchise CC
Fozzie (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 20:34
This seems a suitable thread on which to post this cri de coeur from former Wisden editor Matthew Engel: "Cricket is rotting away. Everything worthwhile about it is being destroyed". And no, he's not referring to Middlesex being relegated.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 10:38
Have read this article,how close to the truth is this?
Hits the nail on the head,be aware of this franchise rubbish,be very aware.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
22 October, 2017 08:53
Thanks for the link, Fozzie. Can't disagree with much of this.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
22 October, 2017 16:39
Sad but true

PaulR_enfield (IP Logged)
22 October, 2017 20:22
Best article I've read in ages, agree with pretty much all of it

23 October, 2017 03:49
Engel seems to have had an epiphany since not editing Wisden. He has gone back to basics and it seems his successor or current incumbent at the magazine may have done the same,lots of coverage of the county game in this months edition rather than full blown in your face International stuff and 4 pages of cc which it had very much got to in his time.

I might even buy the magazine myself rather than read someone elses if this continues to be the case.I can see that in a couple of years when the 2020 mk2 starts that they will devote major coverage to that and their CC coverage will deminish once agsain as the cause becomes a back burner issue with them again.

The review of this season gones Middlesex performance was pretty accurate too (and depressing).

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 20:23
The latest.

[www.espn.com]

Gets worse and worse.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 22:52
In the Daily Mail, it is reported that Middlesex are one of 10 counties to write a collective letter to Colin Graves to voice their opposition to ECB’s plans for who should own the teams in the new Twenty20 competition.

The letter was sent by Derbyshire, Essex, Gloucestershire, Kent, Leicestershire, Middlesex, Northamptonshire, Somerset, Sussex and Worcestershire, or in other words, the 10 counties who do not own a ground which is expected to stage matches in the new competition.

15 December, 2017 05:37
Some irony there that nine of the Turkeys who originally voted for Christmas now realising it won't be at their place decide to do something about it. Waiting till the moments before the thing is due to start being carved up is not the way gentlemen,opposing the idea right from the start would have had far more effect.

Never mind lads,soon be Boxing Day,you'll have your 3 mill or whatever the golden hello was in the bank,seconds cricket on your main grounds while this tournament is on or better still how about organising a T20 tournament involving say 8 county sides........ it's never ending!!

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 02:00
Interesting article in The Times by Lizzy Ammon today about this franchise CC thing.
Saying that counties that wish to be a host venue would of submitted bids to ECB by Christmas just gone and the ECB are going to use the largest grounds available to maximise attendances.
In March,the article states names of sides to compete,Counties that are to host and name of competition as well are to be announced.
One other,and most surprising thing is teams WILL NOT be named after location,City or venue so presumably a brand new name will attract the new breed of cricket follower.

I dread to think what names of teams will be invented!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 02:02 by BeefyRoberts.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 07:45
'Get the counties who wish to host to submit bids,'

That is what got Durham in to so much financial trouble.

So, if its a flop, the counties WILL suffer financially,

I would have thought the venues would choose themselves, since the ECB only want large, city based test grounds, whilst at the same time threatening counties like Surrey who don't want to give up their ground for six weeks.

stockmos (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:30
I don't understand that - as chunkyargyll says, surely the grounds choose themselves? - All the big grounds would need to be involved.

It's not like bidding for a premium Test - it's a long competition with many matches and venues. In that sense all the major grounds/clubs would be better off by agreeing with each other all to bid 1p.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:02
If it is a bidding war to host this stuff,I do hope counties are not gambling with the promised £1.3m in advance as a desperate push to be part of it.
As Chunky said,Durham is a prime example of what could go wrong.
If they are,it really could kill off our lovely game.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 14:03
It is now apparent that at the Q and A, that MCC had already lodged their application for a franchise.

Not sure there that there is a bidding process. At least that has not been stated as yet. Last information was that the chosen venues will be paid a staging fee and allowed to keep 30% of the proceeds which were unspecified.

Presumably 30% of the gate money and shirt sales and whatever else. The booze presumably under normal practice will be retained by the venue, though it is being emphasised that the ECB want a dry zone for the family audience.

Still soft drinks at exorbitant prices can cover that gap.

The venues and names to be announced in March.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:55
According the this week's Cricket Paper,Feb 14th is the day Counties find out who the lucky ones are to host this rubbish.
The traditional 6 test match grounds have applied,along with Hampshire (Bransgrove CC),Durham and Glamorgan.
Names of the sides still undecided.
So,we wait with anticipation to see who is in the gang of 8.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 19:51
An interesting article appeared in the February 2018 edition of The Cricketer about how challenging it will be to attract people to the city-based Twenty20 competition due to the teams being likely to have no previous identity. However, the online version of this article doesn’t show the most interesting aspect, which is where it gives the following possible names for the teams, although I think they were imagined by staff at the magazine rather than by anyone involved with the running of the competition:

Lord’s: The Saxons
The Oval: The Ravens
Sophia Gardens: The Dragons
Headingley: The White Roses
Old Trafford: The Red Roses
Edgbaston: The Bears
Trent Bridge: The Robin Hoods
Rose Bowl: The Mariners

ECB are keen to avoid naming teams after the city or county in which they play, as using city names could alienate potential supporters in neighbouring areas (would people from Leicester or Derby have any interest in supporting a team named ‘Nottingham’?), while using county names would upset county clubs whose ground won’t stage matches in the new competition. However, five of those above names echo the current nickname, former nickname, badge or element of name of a county, so more work may have to be done.

My instinct tells me that the above eight grounds will be the ones to stage matches. I can’t see Durham being selected, as I don’t think their ground is as equipped to stage matches compared to the above eight, not least because it has poor transport connections, which is why county Twenty20 matches there are usually smaller than at most other grounds. Also, the penalties imposed by ECB on Durham won’t help the club’s chances.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 08:25
I saw that list of possible names too, JW. In the Big Bash League, however, it's noticeable that none of the team names give any indication as to where the team's are based: Stars, Renegades, Thunder etc. I assume that this is so that a franchise can change location without needing to change their name. Whatever the reason, it adds even more to the dilution of identity.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:33
Fozzie. Brisbane Heat. Hobart Hurricanes, Adelaide Strikers. Sydney Thunder are some of their non de plumes.

The Big Bash is based on their State sides. Though NSW and Victoria having the biggest cities have two franchises apiece

Perth pick players mostly from their WA State side.

According to Harrison to be avoided here.

Will Mala be a Saxon or a Raven?

Agree as you say. The franchises could be moved around.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 12:37 by Seaxe_Man.

adelaide (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:41
Renegades has the right ring but Traitors would be better.

Adelaide

dingy bags (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:14
The Mercenaries, the Carpetbaggers, the Leeches, the Bounty Hunters, the Parasites, the Air Milers....I can think of quite a few good names. Anyone for any more?

Current Page: 13 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net