cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Nottinghamshire v Middlesex, 6-9 September
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
07 September, 2016 19:27
I suppose that today went OK for Middlesex. I was hopeful that we could bat through the day to get past Nottinghamshire’s first innings total, and we narrowly missed out on achieving the first of those objectives and narrowly succeeded in achieving the second objective. I actually had my sights beyond that, and was hopeful we could make 300 to achieve three batting points, but we had to settle for a total of 247, which made it the second match running we narrowly missed out on a second batting point. When Notts had five overs to face before the close, I was hopeful we could do what they did last night and make early inroads, but they got to the close unscathed.

Of course, the day could have been worse, and we did achieve a first innings lead, so I have to be appreciative of that. Hopefully we won’t have to chase too much batting last. It would be a big surprise if this match ends as a draw.

Well done to Nick Gubbins on scoring 76. He has spoken to our Audioboom page about today.

I don’t know what to make of our run rate being below or just above 2.00 for most of our innings. It would have been nice had it been above that, although our slow-scoring was preferable to losing lots of wickets.

Yorkshire have lots of work to do to win their match v Durham at Headingley, so that can only be a good thing for us. However, we will to see whether we can take advantage of that, as it would be brilliant if we could win and Yorkshire fail to do so, although the reverse of that could end up happening.

Toby Roland-Jones has written in the Hampstead & Highgate Express about various things.

07 September, 2016 20:26
George Dobell has once again produced a report for Cricinfo, and has written highly of Nick Gubbins.

My disappointment about Middlesex narrowly missing out on a second batting point was slightly relieved when I noticed that Yorkshire fell eight runs short of a fifth batting point today. If we were in a better position in our match, perhaps I wouldn’t be so obsessed with how Yorkshire are doing.

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2016 21:13
Firstly great battling qualities. Young Nicky Gubbins played the sort of innings Clive Radley played so often but I would suggest Alastair Cook nearer the mark, excellent technique like Haseem Hameed at Lancashire. What I call tough runs, which are more often the best ones and a sign of high quality batsmanship. To get a lead from 0-3 is a pretty good display, I think two or three years ago we would not have scored a hundred runs. Tight game but we have to bat last and my main concern is how much turn there will be. Keep working hard boys! Come on The Mighty Seaxes!

SouthgateEmerald (IP Logged)
08 September, 2016 09:17
My confidence is based on two losses in two years. This team has really learned to cowboy up. We'll talk long into the night about the miracles atsScarborough and Taunton but we've also dogged our way out of trouble too. I also think or hope we've got that wobble out off our system. Tear in today boys. 10 days of cricket. 10 days to immortality.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
08 September, 2016 16:25
235 to win this game.
Runs will come,day and a bit to do it.

BATTLE

08 September, 2016 18:06
Deep breaths. Very deep breaths.

08 September, 2016 18:55
I am not sure whether to be upbeat or downbeat about the state of the match. Maybe the discussion tomorrow evening will be about Middlesex achieving a nervy win, or maybe it will about losing despite our opponents being bottom, us being at full-strength and us making the decision for there to be no toss. As I am reluctant to get my hopes up, I am thinking towards the latter option. I fear that Imran Tahir and/or Samit Patel will do well tomorrow, and discussion will take place about us being unable (or maybe unwilling) to find room for a second spinner, which is the downside of having three excellent fast bowlers available. A tie can’t be ruled out, while the slow rate at which we are scoring means that a draw can’t be ruled out despite the lack of any rain forecast (only joking).

Anyway, enough negativity. I would like to think that it would just take a couple of 50+ partnerships or individual scores to tip the match our way and get us over the line. We have lots of batting to come.

Well done to Steven Finn and Ollie Rayner on taking their wicket hauls in this match to seven apiece. Rayner has spoken to our Audioboom page about today.

The fact Yorkshire had an excellent day means that it could be vital that we win.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
08 September, 2016 19:05
Chip away tomorrow lads.
Weather could move in mid afternoon with slight rain possible.

BATTLE

08 September, 2016 20:57
All the time in the world. 9 days left boys. 27 sessions. One at a time. Cowboy up.

08 September, 2016 22:04

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 01:48
Some of you know I'm in Canada so my view of this match is worse than Teletext. I was on a guided walk this morning which was post tea session Nottingham time and I was often behind the touring pack checking scores. Luckily I have a tolerant wife.

Tomorrow is in balance. They have 3 international bowlers, the team are fighting for their Div 1 status. With Yorkie almost guaranteed victory a win is crucial. All [b][/b] I can say further is ...Battle.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Dave_LW (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 09:39
My first visit to Trent Bridge in over 25 years for day 3. Obviously a lot of changes since my last visit but it remains my favourite Test ground after Lord's. The stand that looks like an open chest freezer is certainly unique.

Watched the morning from the Pavilion for a while before going square of wicket. After lunch went to the top of the Radcliffe Road stand for an excellent view in the Company of John and Gerry and enjoyed a convivial afternoon.

As for the on pitch matters possibly both teams will feel they could have done a little better in terms of runs scored / conceded. Leaves it quite even for day 4 but I make Notts slight favourites.

The first hour is so important and will be compulsive viewing.

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 11:04
I went to Trent Bridge for the 3rd day but sadly can not make today.

A very competitive game indeed and I find it strange looking at their team why Notts are bottom of the table with just one win all season.

Another word about Ollie Rayner. Seven wickets in the game and what a fine run of form he is in.

We have battled hard all season and have done superbly in the four day game. Let us hope we get the ultimate prize which we so richly deserve.

Keep going lads.

Battle Battle Battle.

09 September, 2016 14:12
25 to win with 5 wickets standing. I know its never over till the fat lady sings, but I think I can stop holding my breath now. As for Simmo, well done, so consistent whenm needed.

09 September, 2016 14:31
OK Jonathan, when was the last completed match where the scores in all 4 innings were within 12 runs of each other?

adelaide (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 14:46
Freddie

On my phone you say "OK Google", not "OK Jonathan". Another one would be when a bowler has taken 4 wickets between his first overs in each innings. Yet another - how many times habve teams been 0-3 in successive seasons and won both matches?

OK, that's put Winskygoogle into meltdown, so to the match...

Never in doubt! In the last 20 minutes at any rate.

Compo looked in total control till that run out. My instinctive reaction was that he mist have made his ground but the commentators seemed to think he dotted rather than slid his bat. He should have been run out easily given a decent throw; there was never a run there.

I am sort of disappointed that I only found the live feed today, though nothing else would then have been done for three further days. I thought that its legality had been called into question but that must have melted away.

If Notts had seen more of the estimable Jake Ball they might have survived. I do wonder also whether the sudden retirement of James Taylor had an impact, even though he would hardly have played for them.

Adelaide

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 15:19
Was able to listen to KH remotely from hotel after lunch I apologise to neighbours for noise and wife for curtailing our romantic stroll.

Well done to Simmo and the General

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Trainspotter (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 16:26
Following ball-by-ball on the phone, then live feed (unable to go due to Jury Service, yikes!) these last 4 days have been total purgatory. Somehow I still can't believe we won and relatively comfortably in the end, despite all the trauma. Not sure how our nerves will cope next week, let alone at Lords in a fortnight. I just can't understand how people can say cricket is dull (apart from against the Warwickshire Bores at Uxbridge, every now and then, of course)

09 September, 2016 18:20
Cowboy up.......8 days. 24 sessions......that was unwatchably good.

Dave_LW (IP Logged)
09 September, 2016 18:35
Just home from TB. My thoughts at the start were that Notts were slight favourites. The batting was though very sensible. Compo's wicket especially was avoidable but these things happen. 108-2 in the morning session was excellent for the middle. Both Simmo and Frankie batted exceptionally well to see us home. Will leave the detail to the reporter.

Great couple of days. Felt sorry for Notts supporters, they are a better side in my view than their league position suggests. Ball has been missing form them for a lot of the season and not playing for England either but their main problem has been lack of runs. I'm sure they'll bounce back next season.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net