cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

“Big morning of breaking news”
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 20:03
Middlesex have announced on Facebook and Twitter that some exciting news will be announced at 10:00am on Tuesday. This is accompanied by a graphic which says “BIG MORNING OF BREAKING NEWS TOMORROW”, which in my mind hints that more than one piece of news may be announced either in one go or across the morning.

The outstanding issues that come to my mind are regarding who will play as our second Twenty20 overseas player, who will play as our Twenty20 overseas player for the five matches Brendon McCullum will miss and who will the captains be in each competition. Unless there are any injuries which I am unaware of, I can’t see us making any other types of signings for 2017, unless it is a Kolpak player.

The responses to those social media posts speculate the announcement could be to announce the signing of Virat Kohli or of an all-rounder, or that it will be about our squad for our matches in the UAE this month.

With regards to our second Twenty20 overseas player, I know that Angus Fraser would be happy for Mitch McClenaghan to return, and the fact he has yet to sign for any county suggests there is a good a chance of this happening.

With regards to our captains, surely either Adam Voges or James Franklin will perform the role in the County Championship, as Voges started last season in that role, while Franklin finished it by leading us to the title. I don’t see why why there would be any change from Franklin leading us in the Royal London Cup and Dawid Malan doing so in the Twenty20 competition.

With regards to Kohli, he has said he would like to play county cricket ahead of the 2018 season to help him prepare for India’s tour of England that summer. I would have thought that Middlesex would have a decent chance of securing his signature. However, it would be a surprise if any confirmation of who he will play for (if anyone) will be made for several months due to it not yet being know what India and Kohli’s itinerary will be like come 2018.

Re: “Big morning of breaking news”
dingy bags (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 20:07
Seaxe Man as club president?

Shots co-opted onto selection committee?

(More seriously, Brearley as President might be an outside chance.)

13 March, 2017 20:18
Shots for the spin committee more like.

Brears as "El Presidenti" would be a brilliant coup, hasn't he been asked in the past and knocked it back due to work commitments?

Probably another Blue Chip company jumping on board as a sponsor because they love Middlesex,lol, no you don't or you would have backed us at some stage in the last 23 years of hurt, your just looking for corporate jollies with The Champions.

Sachin as a batting consultant would be a nice announcement.

Free beer at all weekend cc fixtures would be an even better one.

PS, I know the club has to raise sponsorship wherever it can and we are in a great position to do it at present but to give it the "Billy Biggun" of "we love Middlesex" , do me a favour people.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 09:53
It's even better than that.

In this period of Brexit and Second Scottish Referendum uncertainty, we need an interregnum that will provide calmness. So Kev is looking forward to addressing you all soon as "My loyal subjects,"

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 10:09
Kev has won "Most promising youngster of the year" in the Barnet F.C Walking
Football team....😁😁

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 10:20
Absolute nightmare ..another corporate "coup"
New badge ..etc history consigned to the bin
I'm all for advancement but .....

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 10:22
Quote:
Beeamazed
Kev has won "Most promising youngster of the year" in the Barnet F.C Walking
Football team....😁😁

Brand On The Run

I'm not sure Nike will sponsor me for my Walking Football exploits.

Meanwhile, this from a financial point of view is good news and raises our profile. Time to fork out on another Middlesex CCC top with that tick on it? Not sure.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 11:10
‘We exist to be the most successful county cricket team in the country and to be a beacon in sport known and respected for doing things right.’

Wow. Statement of intent thrown down at the other counties.

= > "We're coming after you, and at you".

Love it.

Muntjac (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 11:32
I do not like to be negative about anything Middlesex; but I do not like the new badge. 3 Seaxes on a shirt was just perfect.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 11:33
When I took a quick glance at the shirts I thought..nah.
But,now I have sat down and had a good look at them,I actually like the design of shirts.
Ok,new badge will take bit of time to grow on me,but overall I do like them.
Hope the replicas go on sale so we can purchase them.

We are a club that seems to be going forward very rapidly and I'm liking what I see.

Beeamazed (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 12:43
Correct

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 12:46
Cashwise do we gain from this??All shop sales go to MCC, apart I understand to sales made in 'pop up' shops at outgrounds.

What is of interest, is, will Nike actually sponsor the Club and put cash in the fairly empty coffers?

Running a county club, ain't cheap anywhere.

The statement of positivity is long overdue. Been a bit too hangdog in the past.

Anyway, onward and upward.

adelaide (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 13:11
I think Gus's new Lexus was more exciting...

Adelaide

dingy bags (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 18:34
I support all of this. The club has to adapt and I like what I am hearing.

I would like a definite answer on the proceeds from shirt sales, though.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 20:20
I was hopeful that today’s news would be about something that would be beneficial to Middlesex’s on-field performances, although I would also have welcomed an announcement about who our next president will be. I suppose that the news could help our on-field performances if our Nike kit is made of better material than our previous MKK kits, or if the Nike deal and rebrand somehow generates more income which could then go into our playing budget.

With the future health of county cricket uncertain due to a city-based Twenty20 competition being highly likely to be introduced in 2020, it seems brave for the club to have seemingly pooled a lot of time and resources into rebranding themselves, although I can't actually see much change. I hope Middlesex and the 17 other counties will be around for many years to come, although I fear that if the new competition is introduced, then those who presently follow matches will find county cricket being of a lower standard (at least while the other competition is taking place), while those who aren’t dyed in the wool would be more attracted to the city-based competition.

The club have also posted a video as part of the rebrand:

14 March, 2017 21:20
I wonder how many folk will not be buying any new kit due to who the maker is?

Ok we are making lots of moves to financially secure the club but it is not the "Big News" that folks want to see posted all over the media the day before thus getting their hopes up that it will be a player signing etc.

MKK stuck with us for a long while during the not so good times,I bet Nike will be off like a shot the moment we have a down turn.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 15:22
There appears to be a lot of 'uncertainty' on this thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net