cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Re: Middlesex 2nds this year.
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 18:17
Well done to Middlesex on reaching the Second Eleven Trophy final. I got the match onto the TV just in time to see the winning runs being scored.

Yorkshire beat Somerset by 3 runs (D/L) in the other semi-final. I don’t know where the final on Thursday 8th June will be staged. Hopefully the players and officials of the away team had the foresight to register to use postal voting for the General Election, as I doubt they will have time to vote in person.

Rogers and Out (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 19:43
Final against Yorkshire is taking place at Headingley on Thursday 8 June with a 2 p.m start.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 10:03
Shame it's away and not local

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 10:08
It would be great if they had a live vision youtube feed, like they did for the semi.

Fingers crossed.

05 June, 2017 10:24
Scorecard for match v Somerset here (when rain abates)

[www.totalcricketscorer.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2017 15:38 by chunkyinargyll.

05 June, 2017 19:27
It is great to see that Sam Robson is back playing. His 28 seems like a good score in the conditions, as it was bettered by only George Scott’s 40 and Nathan Sowter’s 37 not out in a total of 161.

fivestar (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 07:18
We do have an increasing number of very average contracted players.Why sign them if they realistically got no chance of playing 1stXI?

06 June, 2017 08:11
I suppose a lot of them are around 20 years old, so it's the numbers game. Maybe two out of the 7 or 8 you have in mind will make it- but knowing which two might not be obvious at the moment.

George Scott has done significantly better so far this year. Last year I don't recall him doing much in the seconds.

Also, a lot of them are at college, or uni, and are on summer contracts, so I suppose that means we pay them June to September only. 4 months might mean we pay them 9k a year, so that would effectively mean we are paying their tuition fees for them (aren't we kind- particularly if they don't make it as cricketers) There must be about half a dozen of them in that situation, so 6x9= 54k for six pro cricketers. Look at it that way, and I suppose they are cheap to employ, and increase our options. Also, half of kids go to university these days, and cricketers, by and large, are reasonably intelligent people, so I'm surprised more counties don't do it (6 kids on summer contracts costing the club around half what one senior player would).

fivestar (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 08:48
I'd be far more in favour of a system that rewarded players who were performing in county prem league sides.Seen many Prem league games with exceptional performances from non county players,You would get a wider net of players for 54k and could even pay them a daily wage for 2nd XI?
Understand this is not the Traditional way but IMO you would end up with more quality. Also understand ECB funding Angle.

adelaide (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 10:37
There is a huge gap between league an county cricket. And who is to say that the players starring in league games actually want (or are prepared to risk) a professional career in cricket? We've seen Ansari walk away from a cricketing career because he wants to make use of his talents elsewhere. His talents are probably unusual but for those with strong but not exceptional qualifications there are plenty of rewarding career opportunities to go for in and around London. Schools cricket is also disproportionately based in private or selective schools and some of those opportunities available (how shall I put this?) have, or at least had, the reputation of looking for people "like themselves" from that sort of background.

Remember too that the money is not that great unless you make it big. That is a contrast with football. Duncan Whatmore of Sunderland got a first and is the son of a former Permanent Secretary in the civil service. Fifty years ago nobody from such a background would have gone near football but the money is now huge, even for squad players. (He also apparently helped rescue a couple in danger of drowning when he was on holiday (so I'll be wishing his career well) so his talents really do seem to be endless!

Players have occasionally been picked up from leagues. Gareth Berg is the pre-eminent example; isn't it also the case for Nathan Sowter? Both from abroad, possibly looking for a cricketing chance from the outset? I seem to remember TRJ's Sunbury connections being mentioned when he joined.

Adelaide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 16:46 by adelaide.

06 June, 2017 11:15
I think Gareth Berg did play for SA U19's, so like all late developers, he didn't arrive from nowhere. I remember him tweeting Graeme Smith once, and on the face of it, I don't think he got a reply (Smith not knowing who he was). A bit like one of us tweeting a celeb, and not getting a reply. smiling bouncing smiley

I think the Middlesex idea is we know they won't all make it, but if the ones that don't make it continue to play in Division one of the Middlesex County League, then a few years down the line every Div one County league team should have three ex academy players, two ex pro cricketers, plus whoever is currently seconded to the league team (all the fringe players are allocated a league side to play for) so that should make the Middlesex County League stronger than ever.

adelaide (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 16:20
Perhaps Gareth tweeted him as RomanB or whatever his handle in another place was.

Adelaide

07 June, 2017 18:12
As yesterday didn’t see a single ball bowled, it is not a surprise that the match finished as a draw.

It is great that Middlesex 2nd XI bowled Somerset 2nd XI out for 197 to avoid a big first innings deficit, with the wickets being shared between Harry Podmore, Tom Barber and Ravi Patel.

In our second innings, we opened with Ryan Higgins and Savin Pereira, with Higgins scoring 44 not out as we reached 52-0. Hopefully the fact Sam Robson didn’t open suggests that the club are satisfied that he is fit to play v Lancashire at Southport and that we didn’t want to risk the possibility of his injury reoccurring. I imagine the decision to open with Pereira despite him having come in at 7 in the first innings was to ensure that none of the regular batsmen got injured ahead of tomorrow’s Second Eleven Trophy final.

07 June, 2017 20:47
Richard Johnson has spoken to Yorkshire’s official website about tomorrow’s match.

Both teams are set to field a decent amount of players with 1st XI experience. The fact both clubs start County Championship matches on Friday should prevent the possibility of one team fielding a lot more present 1st XI players than the other in this match.

08 June, 2017 04:09
Stocking up with "bang average" younger players with no intention of using them merely to stop other counties having them on their books? Are we turning into he Chavski/Liverpoo of cricket?

I don't think so and to be fair to the club we do allow players to move on via the loan system etc to other clubs, Cam Steele a case in point, Rosso another,both will have good careers after a solid grounding at Middlesex.I can't see us letting Northants keep Max Holden though,the lad is part of the future of Middlesex.

The steady production of first class players through the age groups is essential but very hard to keep them all happy,there being after all only eleven first team places, 1 the skipper,2 a keeper,3 an overseas leaving really 8 spots most of which will have older players in them bang in form and well coached by these lads current coaches.

I'd far rather our age cricket was run his way than scratching around the leagues to put out a second eleven and them being beaten every week.Good luck today in the final lads , hope the weather holds for you all and you do yourselves and us proud (again).

08 June, 2017 14:12
Rain has reduced this to 48 overs a side. We have inserted the Yorkies (best thing to do to them)

08 June, 2017 20:39
Sadly, we lost by 99 runs.

08 June, 2017 20:53
I feared that the target would be too big for Middlesex 2nd XI, which unfortunately turned out to indeed be the case. It didn’t help that opener Tom Lace had to retire hurt after facing three balls. At least Nick Compton found some form, scoring 57 off 43.

Well done to the team on getting this far.

14 June, 2017 11:28
Two T20's v Surrey today.

First scorecard here-

14 June, 2017 14:10
Second game of the day here-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2017 14:12 by chunkyinargyll.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net