cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Middlesex v Essex 4 day game 21st-24th April
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:03
we are up against an Essex team that have got off to a flier and will certainly be a challenge to our championship credentials. They will have ex England captain Ali Cook in action unless Strauss decides to rest him. I expect us to be unchanged.

I'm hoping for a wicket that gives bowlers a chance. Feel free to offer your views here.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2017 22:19 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middlesex v Essex 4 day game 21st-24th April
Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 12:49
If it flat. There will be a toss I suspect. In the unlikely scenario that it is a green top.

Essex will opt to bowl.

I also expect to be unchanged.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 14:09
To confirm- same 13, plus Ravi Patel=14 man squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Leprechaun (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 14:48
Looks like wicket is over the grandstand side - that is where the hover cover was last night. Nice to see this sign under the President's box.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 15:58
A good strong squad for the return home of the champions.
First day at home should be a busy one,so I would arrive just a little bit earlier.
Also,after the incidents during past few months at home and abroad,I wouldn't be surprised if there are bag searches...I think first day last season it took place.

Will be a couple of England players and hopefuls playing,so will be a good game.

BATTLE

Muntjac (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 16:47
There were bag searches at the first fixture last season. I was meant to be going tomorrow but other dark forces have prevented me! Have a good one all who make it to Lord's. First day at home always has a special feel to it.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 19:24
Ollie had treatment for a finger injury, late in the fourth innings at the Aged Bowel. It is possible Ravi has been included in case Ollie is unfit. Well, that is more likely than we play two spinners. Sorry Shots.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 19:57
It is a shame that Middlesex will once again be without Nick Compton, although the fact Stevie Eskinazi scored 82 and 45 batting at 3 v Hampshire means we are under no pressure to get Compo back before he is fully fit. However, the fact Compo made 107 v Kent 2nd XI suggests he is indeed at or near full fitness. There are worse headaches to have!

Essex have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Ryan ten Doeschate (27) Captain, Adam Wheater (31) Wicket-keeper, Varun Chopra (6), Nick Browne (10), Simon Harmer (11), Neil Wagner (13), Aaron Beard (14), Tom Westley (21), Ravi Bopara (25), Alastair Cook (26), Dan Lawrence (28), Jamie Porter (44) and Matt Quinn (94).

The fact we have added Ravi Patel to our squad while Essex have not included Ashar Zaidi despite him taking three wickets in last week’s win v Somerset at Taunton suggests the two teams have contrasting views on the likelihood of the pitch taking spin. Or it could just be down to the doubts about Ollie Rayner’s fitness. The fact there hasn’t been much rain recently, and I don’t think any is forecast during this match, must help the chances of the pitch taking spin.

Cook will enter this match 30 away from 20,000 first-class runs, so there ought to be a big cheer if it is achieved during this match.

Porter is known to much of our squad, as he came through our youth system.

Toby Roland-Jones has spoken to to the Hampstead & Highgate Express, while Nick Gubbins has spoken to ecb.co.uk.

For the first three days of this match (yet interestingly not for Monday), ”the roadway behind the Warner Stand will not be available for use”, which I imagine means that like for most of last season, people wishing to travel between the Pavilion and Grand stand will have to walk the long way round, while it will not be possible to walk a full circuit. Hopefully people will be able to perform those activities once the new Warner stand is completed.

It seems that there will be precisely one Winsky at each day of the match, as Sunday is the only day I can attend and the only day Lower Mound can’t attend.

21 April, 2017 14:56
A ton for Robbo!

(Sm152)

and it seems Trevor Bayliss is at the ground today- so a good time for him and Gubbo to make runs.

21 April, 2017 15:53
and now a hundred for NGubbs.

(Sm152)

All looking good at the moment.

21 April, 2017 16:55
I can;t believe our luck with the weather.

(Sm60)

21 April, 2017 18:57
I can’t have any complaints about Middlesex’s performance today, as we have achieved two batting points and have given ourselves a great base to attempt to achieve five batting points as well as a commanding score. Well done to Sam Robson and Nick Gubbins on their centuries. Gubbins has spoken to our Audioboom page about today

However, the fact we are playing at Lord’s appears to be impeding us in this match, as my Ceefax view gives me the impression we are playing on yet another Lord’s pitch on which it will be difficult to achieve a result, while I am confident that many more overs would have been bowled had the floodlights been allowed to be switched on. Looking out of my window at work, it didn’t seem particularly dark this afternoon, although I can understand that the amount of cloud cover reduced the light.

Changes to the playing conditions for 2017 mean that 30 minutes of time which was lost on previous days can be made up on days two or three, so I assume the conditions tomorrow will be that the scheduled close will be 6:30pm with 104 overs available, although I don’t know whether more time lost from today can be added onto Sunday.

21 April, 2017 21:27

tallliman (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 08:41
Jonathan, I believe it can so 104 ovs/day for the rest of the game.

22 April, 2017 11:05
Well, that's ominous.

Start delayed due to bad light.

No rain around- but how much play will there be today? Everything always seems to conspire against us.

22 April, 2017 13:08
Play started 20 minutes late due to bad light, with the loss of 3 overs (although we can make this time up due to a change in regulations this season.) Eventful first over. First ball Eskinazi looked to leave it but did not withdraw his bat quickly enough, as it came off the back of the bat for a boundary through third man. The second ball was a bouncer which went for 4 byes. It was so far over Adam Wheater’s head that he got no-where near it despite a leap. Fourth ball of the morning was caressed through the covers for four.

Robson edged Porter through a vacant 3rd slip but did fall to the bowler nibbling an edge to Wheater one short of his 150.

The sun came out and the ball began to swing with plenty of plays and misses from Malan new to the crease. Essex got another breakthrough when Malan, trying to run Bopara down to fine man, got tucked up and played onto his stumps. 305-3. Think Malan got frustrated as he got bogged down by some tight bowling by and he likes to get bat on ball.

Voges and Eskinazi saw out the session. Wagner bowled short to both batsman with a leg slip and a short leg. Eskinazi had been uncomfortable facing the short ball and 10 minutes before lunch, he took his eyes off the ball and got struck on the helmet. He called for the physio straight away. There was a long delay whilst a new helmet was called for and Eskinazi was being treated.

Lunch: Voges 8*, Eskinazi 36*, Middle 321-3. Hopefully Stevie is okay and can resume batting. Need to push on now after lunch for maximum bonus points.

22 April, 2017 13:42
So, what will our tactics be?

Because of time lost, do we declare the moment we get to 400 (and maximum batting points) or go on and on to about 520-550, and hope to win by an innings?

adelaide (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 15:11
If we declare after NOT getting the final batting point I really will wonder what is going on. Obviously there are two teams out there but this not "looking after" points is getting annoying.

Adelaide

22 April, 2017 15:30
Essex- Sportsmanship.

Where's the oxymoron thread?

[twitter.com]

Well done Ten Doeschate.

22 April, 2017 15:32
First ball after lunch and Eskinazi nicks Wagner behind. The ball swings after leaving the batsman but Wheater cannot hold on and drops a sitter. Body language from Essex is good aside from Wagner who is livid.

Essex take the new ball and soon after Voges, a long way across his stumps, is trapped lbw as the ball straightened on him up the slope. Voges 13, Middle 331-4.

Simpson came in and showed impetus straight away and looked to push on the score in the afternoon session. Eskinazi ground to a halt once he completed his 50, finding it difficult to even find singles.

Wagner collided with Simpson the non-striker in his follow through as Eskinazi called him through for a quick single that was not there. Eskinazi and Simpson both ended up at the bowlers end and the bails were removed. However ten Doeschate withdrew the appeal before the umpires deliberated. Great sportsmanship and all credit to him.

In the 109th over Middlesex were 388-4, needing 12 runs for full batting points. With Wagner bowling and Eskinazi on strike only 3 runs were needed as they finished 391-4 after 110 overs. Eskinazi then proceeded to score 10 off the next over!!!

Essex now deployed two gullies to Simpson and he duly obliged by spooning the simplest of catches to the first gully Westley, who inexplicitly grassed it. Wagner was the unfortunate bowler again and his frustration showed as he bowled a leg side half volley next up which was helped on its way to the fine leg boundary.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net