cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Ryan tends not to Toss a ( coin )
Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 17:36
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2017 21:22 by BarmierKev.

Re: Ryan tends not to Toss a ( coin )
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 18:12
Well covered Kev.
A batting display of top quality by Robbo and Gubbo (twins?) thoroughly enjoyable day in the 19oC temps forecast...
Was a shame the bad light took hold,we did comment about the lack of use of lights on first day back home.
Make hay tomorrow,pile on the runs for batting points.
A successful return home of the champions today,and pennant flying proudly

21 April, 2017 20:56
The restrictions set by Westminster City Council mean that the light usable days are saved for Test matches and ODI's, something like 14 days they can be used and about 6 times in the evenings.

That's going to fk up City Based T20 if they need them worse than us in the CC on a cold dank day in April.

WCC need to take a long hard look at themselves and realise hat without light there is no cricket and revenue on match days outside the ground will disappear (rather like the light).

I know lots of rich folk live around the ground but to still manage to sway the council to comply with draconian light regulations (which probably wouldn't effect many of them at 3:30pm on a Friday afternoon is just plain daft.

ECB need to bring their influence into this to,why should we be the only county not allowed to use floodlights to bring he light up to a playable standard.

tallliman (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 21:36
Tend to agree regarding the lights....we need to be able to use them.

Furthermore, I think we should be progressing toward ensuring we can play under lights properly. If that means a different coloured ball then so be it. Too frustrating when play is ceased due to the current rules despite no apparent issue with any of the players' safety.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 22:39
Further to my frustration , there was a good crowd today. I reckon anyone who is not a regular would really be put off from attending again, after what happened after tea. I don't blame Essex for their tactics given their position , but this was a bad advert for County cricket. There needs to be some kind of rule change where you have to bowl spinners when light reaches a certain level, rather than short change the public.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

adelaide (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 00:01
I do get confused about the light regulations. My understanding was that if the reading is below a certain level the umpires are obliged to take the players off irrespective of who is bowling. I'm not sure whether that level is fixed or simply set in stone for the match the first time the players come off. Once set, the umpires are obliged to take the players off at the same level, again irrespective of situation. An Oval Test against Australia was drawn a couple of years ago for that reason. Just imagine, too, if the sun had not been shining on St Toby's Day last September and the players had come off with Toby on his hat-trick!

I suppose there may be an understanding that if slow bowlers are used the umpires will "forget" to consult their meters.

I would like to see a reversion to the system whereby the umpires could offer the batsmen the option of coming off. When that was the system, the batting side knew that if they decided to stay out they would have to stay out come what may unless the light deteriorated even further. So two well set batsmen could stay out, a wicket might be lost and then more lost as new batsmen struggled to cope with the light. That is an incentive to come off even when going well. I would tweak it so that poor light would be offered afresh if a wicket falls.

Of course the fielding side might object that they cannot see the ball properly, so I would suggest there ought to be a level of really poor light at which both sides would have to agree to stay
out.

Bad light stopped play at a number of locations today, some presumably because they do not have floodlights. Or they haven't paid the leccy bill. So we weren;t the only ones affected.

Adelaide

22 April, 2017 04:57
Hardly going to be a cracking the flagstones type of day in April anywhere in the country yesterday so bad light would have come into play. Been in grounds before where the lights haven't been put on for one reason or another and others where there were no lights anyway. Barring out grounds are any of the major county grounds that are non floodlit now ?
With the advent of T20 many saw the chance of making some coin by putting them up, some are rather old school but many of the newer ones are of a good technical standard and will last for ages thus repaying their initial cost back to the counties when play is not lost and they are required.

tallliman (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 07:40
Adelaide, you're pretty much right. Once the umpires consider the light bad enough to be affecting play/posing danger they bring them off. At that point a light meter reading is taken and used as the standard for the rest of that match.

As I said last night, I don't think bad light should be a thing with floodlights available now. As Kevin said, a good crowd is denied cricket by negative tactics. The umpires were booed off at Trent Bridge for coming off and on and off again yesterday.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 08:17
Bonus for the Rose Bowl. Not near anyone to annoy, so lights were on throughout, as required in the last match.

Advantage Hampshire. Good report Kev with the the golden goblet and a bottle of red in the abu2 stand. And yes it was a bit parky.

Same today,looks like. F temperature yesterday in mid fifties or if preferred, about 13C.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 08:40
It was noticeable there were a few breaks up and down the country but they were back on again. Perhaps they were trying to find 50p to feed the meter.

While, trying to secure a win is our priority, I understand they were circa 2,500 in the ground denied a session of cricket, which could have been avoided. Had Middlesex been struggling I would have felt the same way.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net