cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Middlesex Room
Lifer (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 11:10
Hello
I am a Middlesex Life member and a member of MCC.

I would like to alert all joint Middlesex/MCC members to the very sneaky proposal coming at the forthcoming MCC AGM whereby the current Middlesex Room which was temporarily converted to offices will permanently remain offices whilst the Middlesex Room will be relocated to the Upper Allen stand. Thus cleverly annoying both Middlesex and MCC members and breaking a promise

This breach of faith will be carried by the sheep who vote by post in advance of the AGM simply because the committee propose it.
Can I appeal to all MCC full members to vote against this proposal by post or in person at the AGM
John Fitz

Re: Middlesex Room
Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
29 April, 2017 23:04
Well I am blooming cold sitting outside I don't want to go in the pavilion forced to wear a jacket and tie. At the kia oval I can go in their avilion no matter how I am dressed

Come on MCC do away with tradition for once and for all

It's a sporting event not a coronation!!!

SC2

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
01 May, 2017 13:04
SC. I intend to do just that this coming Friday.

There are also problems entering the members designated areas at Lords..

People who for normal purposes, are properly dressed and clean and who are very unlikely to be a social problem, requiring maybe a cup of tea: are regularly ejected.

One amusing story. Last year a bloke wearing openwork sandals was ejected from a members area, to cries 'but I am a MCC member'. The response. You should have known better sir.

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
01 May, 2017 22:31
In the window of the MCC/MCCC shop are egg and baconcoloured Habana flip flops on for sale. You've just got to laugh...

Sc2

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 10:15
And SC. They also I think sell teeshirts without collars. Also persona non grata.

According to a notice on the wall lefthandside of the Lords shop. There is a notice saying that Mx replica gear is not available due to delays in getting the sponsors name on the shirts etc.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 12:08
Do they sell mankinis?

The Lords members would look rather good in that.

[cdn-r2.unilad.co.uk]

Fozzie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 12:47
The Times today reports that the renovation of the Allen and Tavern stands, originally planned to start last year, has now been put back to 2027 at the earliest, and that this news has caused increased discontent among MCC members over the use of the Middlesex Room for offices.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 12:47
The Times today reports that the renovation of the Allen and Tavern stands, originally planned to start last year, has now been put back to 2027 at the earliest, and that this news has caused increased discontent among MCC members over the use of the Middlesex Room for offices.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 12:48
Discontent amongst mcc members,and us!!

02 May, 2017 19:17
....and at the end of the day MCC will do what their steering committee wants after it has been through three sub committees, the board and Fingers,then and only then will they sit on their hands (and cash reserves) and do nothing.

Problem for them is 2027 will be 7 years after the brave new world of city based cricket starts and if they don't get on with increasing the capacity of the ground they willprobably not be selected as a venue.The likes of the Oval,Wembley and the London Stadium all have much larger capacity than Lord's and it will be bums on seats that Graves love child requires.

Lose City cricket and possibly a Test match and a few ODI's we will soon start seeing the bricks flying as the lack of cricket will eat into their vast reserves of cash.

Next area to be rebuilt I have heard will be the Compton and Allen to increase capacity by a couple of thousand, hardly worth the effort if it's 7 years behind the eight ball.

johnph (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:15
So no real interest on the forum about the proposed non-return of the Middlesex Room, only tangents on dress code and merchandising! No unhappiness that there was no communication of this at the AGM, when this was well understood to the club?

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 19:22
I think the reason why many of the above posts are about the dress code is because the rules put members off going into the Middlesex Room. I have been coming to Lord’s since 1999, but about the only times I have entered the Middlesex Room have been when I have been accompanied by my dad.

I hope that a Middlesex Room will return to Lord’s at some point, and it wouldn’t bother me too much if it is in the upper tier of the Allen stand or elsewhere in the ground, although it would be nice if is at least the same size as the previous room and if perspective entrants are not expected to place lots of effort into their attire. The fact the relationship between Middlesex and MCC appears to now be stronger than ever means it would be a surprise if no effort is placed into re-establishing a Middlesex Room.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 09:49
The proposal for the Middlesex room to be relocated was withdrawn by the MCC committee last night, due to the opposition of a large number of MCC members. This does not mean victory, just that there is a re-think and we should remain vigilant.

I am a member of both clubs and would like to see the Middlesex room at least as good as it was before

As for the dress code, I would prefer to have a more relaxed code in the pavilion, but it is not such a big deal. The pavilion is a great place to watch cricket from, has fantastic facilities and history and I always enjoy going in there. Putting on a tie is not that difficult, but if people prefer not to, in my view they are missing a treat.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 15:35
The Middlesex Room was the brainchild of the late persons Gubby Allen and Ron Gerard. Now they are not around the agenda has changed.

Ron Gerard I believe paid for the furnishing out of his own pocket.

I suspect that there are signs of its non re-appearance on the cards.

In recent times, though intended by its sponsors to be for the exclusive use by Middlesex and members guests this has been eroded over the years.

Middlesex members were limited to two guests recently, when the Room was still available, while the hosts were upgraded to four.

The opposition of MCC members mentioned in the previous post suggest a 'wind of change' is in the air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 15:38 by Seaxe_Man.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 15:58
From what I can make out, there were two strands of thinking in the opposition of MCC members. One was the honourable one that SM has referred to above and the fact that it's return was promised. The other was that some MCC members particularly like the upstairs bar!

It would be nice to think that the former reason has the greater number of supporters; it's certainly my view.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 19:17
Speaking as a Middx member, I would be delighted to have the Middx Room re-located to the top of the Allen, where you have a better view of the cricket. MCC would then have a useful overspill area for test matches.

I suspect MCC members have ditched this for their own ends, not ours.

04 May, 2017 19:30
Good lord DB,your not accusing the landlords of stitching us up are you ?

We will get whatever bone they decide to throw our way (if any) and accept it with thanks. Be nice to have somewhere within the stadium that claims to be the "Home of MIddlesex cricket" to call ours though.

With the big plan on hold I fear we will be waiting sometime though.

And yes johnph we are concerned about this but after many years of membership of a tenant club resigned to the fact we will get what we are given when we are given it and gently doff the cap to our masters for their favour.

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
07 May, 2017 12:33
I'm afraid much of these comments are antediluvian nonsense. A large number of people are members of both clubs and, while MCC own the ground, the relationship is not one of landowner/serf.

I'm afraid some people think this is 1958.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
07 May, 2017 12:39
Well I don't recall a vote of the Middx membership about the Middx Rooom. I don't even recall being asked an opinion.

But MMC members get a say on the future of the Middx Room.

It might not be 1958 but many things don not change.

dingy bags (IP Logged)
07 May, 2017 12:39
Well I don't recall a vote of the Middx membership about the Middx Rooom. I don't even recall being asked an opinion.

But MCC members get a say on the future of the Middx Room.

It might not be 1958 but many things do not change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2017 16:11 by dingy bags.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net