cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Lancashire away at Southport
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 12:34
Our yearly away 4 dayer is next.
Have heard it's a smaller ground than Uxbridge,but no idea how the wicket is.
Probably a full strength squad,sadly without Voges but with fingers crossed Robbo returns.
As a small ground,booked tickets for all 4 days they arrived with Day 1 missing.
A quick phone call to those lovely folk at Lancashire and need to collect missing ticket (paid for) as Southport with the email showing ticket number.

Safe drive up everyone,and enjoy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2017 08:38 by BarmierKev.

Re: Lancashire away at Southport
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 20:05
I am looking forward to my Sat/Sun trip to Southport. It will be great to escape the dull Lord's wickets. I remember last year our season taking off when we headed up to Scarborough and hope this jaunt will be our moment.

Regardless, there a quite a few of us travelling and looking forward to having some fun with the Vermin. Beefy , don't forget the flag.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 20:16
With Middlesex yet to win any of their first four County Championship matches and Lancashire having won one of their five matches, I imagine that both teams will be hopeful that this match is played on a result pitch. Unfortunately, the forecast for Southport isn’t looking great at the moment for Friday morning or for any of Saturday, so the pitch won’t be the only potential barrier to a result. I’m getting a bit anxious for us to record our first win of the season, although I don’t think our players and officials are worried yet.

Dawid Malan should be available after scoring 125*, 84 and 12* in 50-over matches for England Lions v South Africa A, while the fact Sam Robson is playing in our 2nd XI match v Somerset at Radlett suggests he has a good chance of being available. It is a big blow to lose an overseas player of the statue of Adam Voges, but it least it creates an obvious place for Malan to slot back in. If Robbo is fit, then a decision will have to be made on whether Nick Compton or Paul Stirling should lose their place. The fact Stirlo did a decent job v Somerset at Lord’s when he looked good and scored 52 and dismissed James Hildreth, whereas Compo’s three Championship scores have been 19, 18 and 22 when playing in Robbo’s position as opener means that Stirlo would have a good chance of retaining his place.

If the pitch takes spin, then Ravi Patel would come into consideration, or we could get plenty of overs from Malan and (if he plays) Stirlo. Unless we are absolutely certain the pitch won’t take spin, it would be foolish to not include Patel in the travelling party. If the pitch doesn’t take spin, I imagine that we will field the same bowling attack which played v Somerset, as Steven Finn’s call-up for England's Champions Trophy squad means he will unavailable.

James Anderson was due to be available for the vast majority of Lancs’ matches in the first half of the season, but a groin injury has sidelined him for the time being.

Although we are yet to win a match, one straw to clutch at is that our tally of 15 batting points is bettered by only Surrey with 18, which is an achievement considering we have played at least one fewer match than the rest of the division.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 20:56
Tickets? Is it possible it could be a sell out.
Should I phone to book?

adelaide (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 11:14
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
Although we are yet to win a match, one straw to clutch at is that our tally of 15 batting points is bettered by only Surrey with 18, which is an achievement considering we have played at least one fewer match than the rest of the division.

None of the others have played 756% of their matches at Lord's though!

Adelaide

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 14:15
756% Adelaide?

Are you suffering from Abbottitis?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 14:58
I got tickets before game,after hearing the ground is smaller than Uxbridge,and presume Lancs and locals will be wanting to see the game.

Saturday looks a rather dodgy day weather wise,but a new ground to visit and really looking forward to it.
If all the help and info the Southport chairman had been giving on the travel thread is anything to go by,we are in for a very good time.

It's a big Saturday of sport....Our game being the most important (of course),England vs Australia and England vs Scotland football.

adelaide (IP Logged)
07 June, 2017 16:36
Of course I meant 8036%. Or 0.65%. And I resent the media picking on trivialities like this.

Adelaide

08 June, 2017 13:19
Adam Voges returns to Australia for 6 weeks, whilst he recovers from torn calf injury.

James Harris back from loan to kent, and Sam Robson fit again. Compton omitted.

[www.middlesexccc.com]

!3 man squad- Franklin(c), Eskinazi, Gubbins, Harris, Helm. Malan, Murtagh, Patel, Rayner, Robson, Roland-Jones, Simpson(wk) Stirling.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 19:52
It seems I was correct to anticipate that Nick Compton may lose his place and that Ravi Patel would be in contention, although then again, I doubt I was the only person to think that way. Middlesex’s expected top four of Sam Robson, Nick Gubbins, Stevie Eskinazi and Dawid Malan means it is difficult to see how Compo would have fitted into the side. It is great that Paul Stirling is set to retain his place.

It is bad news that we will be without Adam Voges for six weeks, although I would like to think our squad has the capacity to cope with there being one, two or three players who are unavailable or out of form. A consolation is that his planned mid-season break to Australia has been brought forward, which means he will hopefully be able to play in our County Championship match v Warwickshire at Lord’s and in a few Twenty20 matches, which is not something originally expected to happen. Of our 14 Twenty20 group stage matches, Brendon McCullum has signed for 9 and Tim Southee has signed for 13, so I initially wondered whether we would sign another overseas player for the matches they will miss or whether we would forgo the right. It seemed strange that Voges was not initially due to play in our Twenty20 campaign considering he has helped Perth Scorchers win three of the last four Big Bash titles, so I assume that part of the deal to sign for us was that he would have a mid-season break.

Lancashire have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Steven Croft (C), Tom Bailey, Jordan Clark, Alex Davies, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Haseeb Hameed, Danny Lamb, Arron Lilley, Liam Livingstone, Ryan McLaren, Saqib Mahmood, Stephen Parry, Luke Procter and Dane Vilas.

Lancashire have posted a Match Day Guide for this match

Gubbins has spoken to the Hampstead & Highgate Express about being presented with a ceremonial cap by Sachin Tendulkar.

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 15:55
Not one single update from Southport all day!

And why would that be?!

SC2

09 June, 2017 16:02
Because most MTWD's are at the game- and I've been watching The General election.

At least this is a 'result pitch' so I wouldn't complain too much.

Weather wise, tomorrow may well be a complete wash out, but Sunday and Monday look a lot better, so effectively a three day match, but hopefully it will produce a result.

09 June, 2017 17:14
A fair few of us work with no access to a pc or the internet but are grateful for updates via text from folk at the ground though I'd have rather my phone hadn't pinged so often in such a short space of time while we were batting.

tallliman (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 17:15
Ravi preferred to Ollie, a little odd but with Stirling in the side, we still have two spinners.

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 17:15
Nothing to stop them posting messages by means of their mobiles? Also why has Ravi been given the nod over Oli??!

SC2

09 June, 2017 17:42
Ravi Patel takes a catch!!!!! (and a good one by the sounds of it)

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 18:38
Surbitan Crusader...we are at the game enjoying the days play.
Sorry for not sitting on my phone all day giving ball by ball commentary!

09 June, 2017 19:21
Something to stop me posting though, 6 points on my licence, a large fine,the loss of my professional qualification and my job and possibly lives in the accident I cause when sticking a 12 ton lorry into the back of a queue of traffic.

If it's that important that there are postings on a thread during the day you could try putting one or two up yourself SC2.

....and Beefy I want ball by ball texts tomorrow , sod the expense !!!

09 June, 2017 19:29
Tomorrows posts will be-

11.00 Raining
12.00 Raining
!3.00 Still raining
14.00 Still raining
15.00 Still raining
16.00 Looks like no play today
17.00 Inspection at 17.30
17.45 No play today.

Saves time doing it tomorrow.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 19:53
Talking to a club regular,who also plays there.
He was saying the wicket is built on sand,saying the drainage is somewhat good.
Prospects of play?
Well,he reckons we will get some.
Also said other grounds on the past have had no play,but Birkdale have had a game.
We will wait and see
Today,one crazy day!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net