cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Team v Yorkies
Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
13 June, 2017 23:44
Due to England call-ups we will have no Gubbins, Malan or Helm (plus no Voges of course).
I assume Compo will open with Robbo and maybe a Championship debut for Higgins?
At this rate we may have to get Max back from Northants....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2017 00:39 by BarmierKev.

Re: Team v Yorkies
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 09:52
Are we at full strength on the bowling side of things?
Have yourkshure any players 'rested' or called up?
Big game next week a mon-thu game,mid-week for this game,can't see why at least a Sunday start for this.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 12:32
Tom Helm is also on England Lions duty, but he can be covered by James Harris.

Max Holden playing for our 2's today, so loan to Northants looks to have ended. Therefore highly likely he will make his Middle debut next week.

My guess- Robson, Compton, Eskinazi, Stirling, Holden, Simpson, Franklin, Rayner (or Patel at 11) Roland- Jones, Harris, Murtagh.

Edit to add- Steve Finn might be available to us, as not in either England squad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2017 12:59 by chunkyinargyll.

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 16:54
Am I missing something?

Surely Finn will be available as he needs some cricket. Therefore Helm and Harris would probably not have played this game available or not.

As for the battng. Compton comes in for Gubbins. That simply leaves someone to come in for Malan.

Two issues. Firstly. If Franklin does not bowl there is a problem, because the balance of the attack is upset as we are then just reliant on three fast bowlers.

Secondly. The fitness of Rayner. If he is fit enough to play, he should play, because leaving aside his bowling which I think is very good, his slip fielding is absolutely superb and his batting adds greater depth to our lower order, However, if he is not able to play I have every confidence in Patel unless we go in with an extra fast bowler, that obviously depends on the wicket.

Let us hope the Lord's wicket this time provides a proper competition between bat and ball.

I remain optimistic.

Middle Middle Middle.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 20:56
County Championship matches between Middlesex and Yorkshire are usually important, and this cannot be considered an exception. Victory for Yorkshire may make relegation likelier for Middlesex than a second consecutive title, while it would leave Yorkshire excellently-placed for third title in four seasons. Also, I am certain that Yorkshire will be keen to avenge the memory of losing their last three Championship matches at Lord’s in various manners. Victory for Middlesex would get our title dreams back on track. A draw would probably leave supporters once again venting their frustration at the Lord’s pitches.

I still believe that we are capable of winning matches despite being yet to do so this season, and that we should set our sights higher than simply avoiding relegation, although it seems we haven’t quite performed as well as we did last season.

It is a big blow for us to have a few batsmen out for this match, although at least we aren’t so affected on the bowling side, with Steven Finn and Toby Roland-Jones being left alone by England. It would be bad news for our batting and fielding of Ollie Rayner cannot play, although at least it would enable Ravi Patel to play another match. I would like Ryan Higgins to finally make his first-class debut, although it would also be nice if Max Holden gets a Middlesex debut. I believe that Higgins is capable of playing the Gareth Berg/Neil Dexter role, which is something James Franklin cannot be considered to be doing unless he bowls. Like Higgins, Holden can bowl some overs, albeit of spin rather than pace. Hopefully Nick Compton will show some form if he opens.

Yorkshire are likely to be without Joe Root, Adil Rashid (both due to rest), Liam Plunkett, David Willey and Jonny Bairstow (England Twenty20 call-ups), although unlike us, they will not lose anyone to England Lions duty.

It is very sad that this could be the second successive Championship match at Lord’s in which a minute’s silence may take place as a result of events in London. A national minute’s silence may be called for next Wednesday at 11:00am to mark a week since the fire in West London, although that is for the authorities to decide.

The mid-season forum will take place in the Nursery Pavilion after play on Tuesday evening.

If I catch any play before attending the forum, then that will be the only play I will see in the match. I don’t know why all but one of our remaining Championship matches begin on either a Monday or Tuesday. Maybe it is because sponsors Specsavers fear that they will never get any business if people spend Monday-Friday working and their weekend at cricket. However, I will be attending my biennial appointment this Saturday, so it is needless to not play on Sundays.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 June, 2017 21:06
Let's hope we are 0-3 after the first over, as we tend to win matches under those circumstances.

15 June, 2017 19:28
The weather forecast for this match as well as the preceding days is excellent. However, whenever we get a few successive days of high temperatures, it usually comes to a crashing end with lots of rain and thunder storms. When I saw the forecast for this week, I feared that crashing end would come during this match, but as I have said, the weather is set to continue for the match. Instead, the crashing end looks set to happen when Middlesex play Essex at Chelmsford, as rain is currently forecast for that match.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 14:44
Uxbridge Gazette. Jon Batham. Headline. Championship victory is a distant memory for struggling Seaxes. Relegation a real concern for title holders.

A good article with much one can agree with.

His last line. Clear sight of victory does'nt come along often in Division One, and in a competitive division winners are brave and ruthless.

Mentions the Essex and Surrey games as examples among other pithy comments.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 15:17
Plunkett, Willey, Bairstow with England.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 16:55
Yourkshure squad....Ballance,Bresnan,Brook,Brooks,Coad,Fisher,Handscomb,Hood,Leaning,Lees,Lyth,Patterson,Rashid and Sidebottom.

Not a bad squad!

Darren Gosling (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 22:50
Chunky, Holden is on loan until 30th June - Northants keen on extending for the full season but Middx would have to agree to that. Max not available for Yorkie match, only appeared for our 2nds as Northans had no games for 1 and 1/2 weeks....from conversation I had with Max when he was fielding on the boundary at Sunbury....

lower pavilion (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 12:23
Any official news about our squad, or is it a closely guarded secret
Here we are, June 17th, a beautiful summer weekend, and what is happening in the domestic world of cricket in this glorious country of ours? Just one first class domestic cricket game being played. Surrey v Worcester Royal London One Day Cup.

17 June, 2017 13:27
It is kind of understandable that the next round of County Championship matches starts on a Monday, as it creates room the Royal London Cup semi-finals to take place, enables people to watch tomorrow’s Champions Trophy final and allowed me to make a visit to title sponsors Specsavers this morning. However, I can see little justification for why all but one of Middlesex’s remaining matches (as well as the vast majority of matches not involving us) start on either a Monday or Tuesday. No-one has ever explained why.

An article in the Daily Mail about England’s squad for their Twenty20 matches v South Africa suggested that Adil Rashid would be rested for this week’s match, but he is in Yorkshire’s squad, which isn’t a great surprise considering he hasn’t played a great deal for England recently. He isn’t currently expected to play in the subsequent Test series v South Africa beginning on Thursday 6th July, but even if he does play in the series, it is long enough away for there to be no risk to his fitness by playing v Middlesex.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 13:44
Regarding the fixtures...Sorry JW but I totally disagree with you.
The Champions Trophy wouldn't really affect our game if it started today or tomorrow.
The semi final,ok I can see where you are coming from with That,but neither us or Yorkshire are involved,even if we we're,why not move the one day cup dates slightly.
When we entertain yourkshure we always have a good crowd,plenty travel down for the game..start on the weekend,more come along,tours of Lord's will be on so visitors can watch the champions.
I know of many who can't get to this coming game (and others) due to the fixture set up.Myself and probably others having to take leave to watch.
So,I'm.afraid this Monday start is a tad bit crazy in my eyes!

Any news on squad as yet?

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 14:02
Max Holden is a contracted Middlesex player. He is available in my book morally and legally. We loaned him to Northamptonshire for the benefit of the player and both counties. If we need him now he plays v Yorkshire. It would be ludicrous not to play the England under 19 captain when available.

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 14:03
Got to play Rayner and Patel given heat drying the pitches out.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 16:59
Good original point Shots.

Meanwhile,the Yorkies on their anti Social media are whinging about their ECB enforced absentees. Now remind me again who we have got missing.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 21:56
My spin to win theory is good more so with hot weather. Bat well first primary position

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 22:03
The closely guarded secret is our players have been playing baseball (a Victorian child's game named bat-a-ball. No clues then I am afraid,

17 June, 2017 22:50
I apologise if my comments have caused any offence. I am just as affected as many other people are by this match and all but one of Middlesex’s remaining County Championship matches beginning on either a Monday or Tuesday. As I have said, there may be a some justification for this match seeing no weekend play, but I don’t know what the excuse is for most of the remaining matches doing so, as it means that there is hardly any county cricket at weekends between now and the remainder of the season apart from when the Twenty20 competition takes place.

Although it would have been nice if Max Holden played this match, I am not too sad that it seems he will remain with Northamptonshire, as it means Ryan Higgins is set to finally show what he can do in the County Championship.

A national minute’s silence will take place at 11:00am on Monday to commemorate the Grenfell Tower fire, so I am certain that it will be observed at Lord’s. Middlesex and MCC have collectively contributed £15,000 to the support fund.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net