cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Members' Forum
johnph (IP Logged)
24 June, 2017 15:52
Sadly I could not make it. Did anything interesting come up on Tuesday?

Re: Members' Forum
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
24 June, 2017 18:07
I was hopeful that a report would have been posted on MTWD and/or Middlesex’s official website. There are certain aspects of these forums that I am reluctant to write about in case the club complain to the moderators.

Hopefully I won’t be told off for saying that Richard Goatley said that he feels confident that there will be a Middlesex Room available for the start of the 2018 season. It seems that the main hurdle which remains to be cleared is approval from an MCC committee, although if that happens, then it is hoped that an announcement will be made in the next 4-6 weeks. As it hasn’t been approved yet, the club are currently unwilling to make an announcement or to say where the room may be located. I don’t know if it is possible the room will be located where it originally was in the lower tier of the Allen stand, as that is currently used as an office. Otherwise, it will have to be located in the Warner stand or in a box, or a new room will have to somehow be built, or it will have to be in a portacabin! Goatley later said that discussions will be made with MCC about relaxing the dress code, although I don’t know if that was a reference to the Pavilion or the Middlesex Room.

Although the Warner stand has been open for all major matches over the last 12 months and will be open for all remaining major matches (including Twenty20 matches) this season, it is still not totally complete due to MCC being let down by contractors, which is why it cannot be used for non-major matches. Apparently, on the occasions it is used, things get patched up to make it look presentable. Apparently, the amount of problems there are with the stand has run into three figures. Hopefully it won’t be long before it can be opened for all matches without having to patch up the faults.

Angus Fraser said that the club didn’t rest on their laurels when they didn’t strengthen the squad which won the 2016 County Championship. To be fair, it is not like there were many decent players available last winter, and most of the other teams aside from Surrey and Hampshire were similarly quiet in making acquisitions. The assertion that we may have been complacent was made by someone from the audience in response to Gus saying that all on-field decisions (e.g. not enforcing the follow-on v Essex at Lord’s) have been made by the same players that won last season’s title.

Goatley said that discussions will be made with MCC and local residents about the possibility of allowing floodlights to be switched on for Championship matches at Lord’s, so we will have to see how that progresses.

[edited to add word 'confident' and to change "all most matches" to "all major matches"]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2017 19:50 by Jonathan Winsky.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
24 June, 2017 18:25
Thank you, Jonathan - a very helpful summary for those of us who couldn't make it to the forum.

johnph (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 10:20
Thanks from me as well. As to the location of the Middlesex Room, many MCC Members want it back where it was, because a. it was a valued facility and b. that using it for offices removes valuable ground facing seating.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 20:16
Thank you also for a very good summary, Jonathan. Treading the fine line between what can and cannot be repeated, whist still conveying the gist of discussions is always extremely difficult.

From what I heard, someone wanted to dig up the tactics employed vs Essex earlier in the season in their capacity as a Monday-two-months-ago quarterback, (obviously with a good deal of first class cricket behind them too, to validate their opinion,) which made me grateful that I had chosen wiser company in the Tavern that night.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
27 June, 2017 15:48
The Middlesex Room date is now officially moved back from this season to next. RG reckoned we will be satisfied when it happens.

The Dress Code. Last updated in 2009 said RG. Looking at my copy I noticed that although tailored shorts are ok, there is no example shown.

On the otherhand two examples of personna non grata types are shown.

Tailored shorts for me, are as per the manufacturer's design. This generally means the bottom hem is turned over and stitched accordingly.

However, the unwanted shorts do indeed include 'tailored' varieties. Confusion or what!

The tiresome requirement of having a collar on everything, including jumpers, is way past it's sellby date and should be binned.

RG I think said that there will be a members survey come season end on the Dress Code. As to whether that includes the bonny MX members remains to be seen.

The Middlesex Room should enjoy a 'relaxed dress code' so that it can be used by all attendees including those in the outer.

Too many hoops to jump through to enable entrance make it a 'white elephant. It should also return to its original purpose --- a meeting place for Mx members.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2017 15:56 by Seaxe_Man.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
27 June, 2017 19:28
Will my kilt be allowed in the MX room ?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
27 June, 2017 21:25
Your kilt would be of national dress Rod/ed so I can't see why not.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 18:14
Re dress code-

Tweet from Laura Kuenssberg- Male MP's no longer have to wear a tie in The House of Commons-

[twitter.com]

So- Lords Pavilion next?

Middlesex Room (if it ever reopens) get rid of the collar rule?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net