cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

A Matter of Record
Middlesex till we die (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 00:42
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 14:31 by BarmierKev.

Re: A Matter of Record
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 07:56
Thanks for the grim reading of yesterday.
When Cook is in full flow,he is one damn good batsman (NOT batter) and a joy to watch,even if it's against us!
Dropped catch? Well,can happen anytime to anyone at any point of the game,we groan,but the game carries on
Now...this substitute player? In my eyes it's COMPLETELY WRONG,I'm not saying because Chopra came in and hit a quickfire ton,how can one player start a game,leave it half way through for someone else to take over.What if a batsman was on 98 no overnight,gets removed to play elsewhere so misses out on a ton? It's wrong,very wrong.
We now need to bat the whole afternoon/evening to rescue this one.
Has the pink ball behaved differently since day 1?

Battle the mighty middle,grab this if we can!

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 08:17
When I was still listening to the commentary (day one) the theory was we wanted our innings over within 80 overs, so we could take 'advantage' of bowling at Essex top order in supposedly helpful conditions (dusk)- so, we scored a little quicker than of late (not just because Stirlo was in side) but couldn't get pink ball to do anything when we bowled. Another theory is pink ball does more than red for first 15 overs or so, but after that does less (difficult, or impossible to keep one side shiny for some reason) so if you can get past first 15-20 overs, it's all in batsman's favour. Some scores around the country (not all) suggest there might be something in this theory.

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 08:52
Chunky, your thoughts entirely chime with mine.

Harmer got Mala - as someone else observed - with bounce, not spin, Simmo got a shooter, and after that we hit catching practice for Essex.

The only exception is the express pace that Amir generates, and the edge that Stirlo hit to Harmer off him would have put a hole straight through him had he not grassed it.

So, if you can put extra action on the object ball, the pink can come off the end of the cue very fast, but you cannot put any side spin on it.

The Chelmsford baize looks very benign indeed.

If - to head Kev off here - we can avoid snookers - we may just about be able to call for the long rest at about 5.30 - oooops .............. no, cancel that............errrr........ 8.30?

Thank you for the report, Leprechaun. Gosh, I hadn't thought of what might happen if my phone were to run out of battery just before I got to the gate!

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 09:19
Thanks for report. Had I been there I'm not sure if I would have survived till lunch. I guess I correctly chose Tuesday as the best day to attend.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net