cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gloucestershire v Middlesex, 7th July, Twenty20
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 19:46
The 2017 county Twenty20 competition will begin with Middlesex looking to record a rare win in the format v Gloucestershire at Cheltenham. Hopefully the installation of Daniel Vettori as coach for our campaign and of Brendon McCullum as captain for the nine group matches he will play will enable us to do even better than in 2016, when we reached the quarter-finals. We will also have Tim Southee for 13 of our 14 group matches, while Adam Voges is set to play in the matches McCullum will miss, with Dawid Malan captaining the side. Fitness permitting, I think that Eoin Morgan is likely to be available for our whole campaign, although Paul Stirling may have to miss two matches due to Ireland beginning a four-day match v Netherlands on Tuesday 15th August. We will have to see how much the likes of Steven Finn and Toby Roland-Jones will be available.

McCullum and Vettori should be well-acclimatised, as McCullum has been over here for a few weeks commentating on the Champions Trophy and England’s Twenty20 internationals v South Africa (during which he found himself in the same commentary box as Morgan while Malan was scoring 78 at Sophia Gardens), while Vettori has found the time to speak to All Out Cricket and the Hampstead & Highgate Express about his hopes for our campagin. The main reason why the decision was made to appoint McCullum as captain was because it was felt that there was more chance that we could get our campaign off to a decent start if our captain was someone who could work with Vettori in the period leading up to the tournament, as opposed to someone who had finished a second successive County Championship match the previous day.

Gloucestershire have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Michael Klinger (c), Phil Mustard, Ian Cockbain, Cameron Bancroft, George Hankins, Jack Taylor, Benny Howell, Gareth Roderick, Tom Smith, Kieran Noema-Barnett, David Payne, Matt Taylor and Christopher Liddle.

Hopefully batting conditions will be better than on day one of this week’s County Championship match between Glos and Glamorgan at Cheltenham, when 25 wickets fell to guarantee that the match would finish inside two days despite batting seeming easier on day two.

The reason why this will be the opening match of the tournament is because the match starts at 2:30pm. I know that I have been criticised in the past for saying this, but it makes no sense that Twenty20 matches at Cheltenham start at 2:30pm on a weekday, as one of the main aims of the format when it launched was to attract spectators after a day at work or at a place of education. When I last wrote about this, I was told that the early start is due to issues with the light. However, weekday matches at grounds without floodlights have traditionally started at 5:30pm, which rarely cause any problems unless the match is played outside June or July. I guess it is a Cheltenham thing.

Despite the pitch and the start time, this match has sold out.

Hopefully we will play as well as we did when I saw us win a CB40 match at Cheltenham in 2012 by 10 wickets.

The weather forecast isn’t too great for this match, although our Twenty20 record v Glos means that every cloud has a silver lining!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/07/2017 13:04 by BarmierKev.

Re: Gloucestershire v Middlesex, 7th July, Twenty20
06 July, 2017 20:19
Middlesex have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Brendon McCullum (captain), Tom Barber, Stephen Eskinazi, Tom Helm, Ryan Higgins, Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan, Ravi Patel, Toby Roland-Jones, George Scott, John Simpson (wicket-keeper), Tim Southee, Nathan Sowter and Paul Stirling.

It is since to see a few players included who have not played much for our 1st XI in any format recently or whose form in other formats merits inclusion in our Twenty20 side.

I anticipated that maybe the likes of Steven Finn, James Franklin, James Fuller, Nick Gubbins, James Harris, Harry Podmore and Ollie Rayner would feature in our campaign at some point, but they aren’t included either due to injury or for reasons unclear.

[edited as link did not come out correctly]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 20:20 by Jonathan Winsky.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 20:24
James Fuller hasn't played for 2's for last few weeks- so I assume injured, although I don't recall any club statement. Tom Barber making squad is interesting. Fast, but erratic seems to be the verdict wherever he goes. Could take wickets- could be expensive.

07 July, 2017 14:10
We won toss, and asked Glos to bat.

We have left out Eskinazi, Patel and Barber.

I think that leaves us a batsman short, but we'll see.

This is clearly Dan Vettori's pick, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (given that we've been rubbish in the past). George Scott probably wouldn't have got a start ahead of Nick Gubbins, for instance, so DV has clearly come in with his own ideas.

07 July, 2017 17:34
An excellent innings by Ryan Higgins. Not sure how many sixes, and how many balls faced.

After all that, the result in an Alice.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 17:41
68 off 28 balls for Higgo, with 6 sixes and 4 fours (nice and symmetrical).

Great effort by him and Nathan.

07 July, 2017 18:10
Strike rate of over 240 for Chucky.

07 July, 2017 18:13

Rogers and Out (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 19:05
A remarkable game where we were quite poor for most of the time and looked certain to lose until Higgo's explosive innings.

Found it quite odd for Stirlo to bowl the first over, and it going for fourteen set the early tone. Nathan Sowter and Tom Helm bowled with credit and we fielded quite well. However we leaked runs at the end and a target of 183 was set.

The Fab Four at the top of our innings did not deliver as anticipated, with McCullum and Morgan looking in need of time in the middle.

Four down for not much over fifty, we then contrived to give a couple of wickets away with suicidal run outs. It looked all up, until Ryan, ably supported by Nathan, took us within one run of a famous victory. Still, it's one point more than we usually get from this fixture.

07 July, 2017 19:28
As is often the case with ties, it is difficult to know whether this is a good or bad result for Middlesex. It marked a bad start to our Twenty20 campaign that we found ourselves 119-8 after 15.4 overs chasing Gloucestershire's 182-5, although to not lose from that position was an excellent comeback.

The commentators felt that batting conditions were so good, that 210 would be a par score, so the fact Glos posted 182-5 meant it felt like great work by our bowlers (or at least by Tom Helm and Nathan Sowter) and that we ought to get the runs.

I am delighted about Ryan Higgins’ innings, something which earned him the Man of the Match award. He seems set to have a bright future with the club. Hopefully it won’t be long before he is amongst the first names on our teamsheet.

If we win all of our home matches and tie all of our away matches, I am fairly certain that we would qualify for the quarter-finals and possibly have a home tie.

I would like to think that we will take our escape as a kick up the backside. I wouldn’t have thought that the players who played v Warwickshjre at Edgbaston will have done much Twenty20 preparation, but at least everyone will now have six days to work together before we have three matches in four days.

The local commentator said that the reason why matches at Cheltenham have to start at 2:30pm is because the sun sets behind the bowler's arm at one of the ends, something which I remember was a complaint at evening matches at Old Trafford and Derby before the squares there were rotated 90 degrees. As justifiable as it may be, I still think that the start time defeats the point of Twenty20. I remember that when there were problems at Old Trafford and Derby, it was suggested that the laws of cricket could be relaxed so that bowling took place at only one end, although that never happened.

The local commentator didn’t hide his bias, as he covered most of the situations from a Glouestershire point of view, making it seem that anything in Middlesex’s favour was a disappointment and everything in Glos’s favour was to be celebrated, although to be fair, he admitted doing this.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 19:36
I did feel rather exasperated when Stirlo was given the first over. The tactic of opening with a spinner is old hat now so there is no surprise factor any more. And In fact the only time I recall it being successful for Ollie was when he was playing for Sussex against us and bowled Sterlo second ball...

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 19:52
My view of the reply was the biased Radio Bristol commentatary by hotel pool. The main consolation for not winning off last ball was MTWD being spared a picture of me celebrating in my trunks and swim hat.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

adelaide (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 22:23
Presumably the match report will be titled "Middlesex fail to avoid tie break".

The Higgins innings was the sort of thing that is more often inflicted on us when we appear to be well set to win. I didn't really see much chance once TRJ was out so it is a point gained, though the last ball dismissal makes it seem more like a point lost.

I didn't bother with the commentary for the Middlesex innings. No problem with them being a bit biased (as they cheerfully admitted) but some basic competence in recognising Middlesex players would have been nice, as would avoiding saying (repeatedly) something like "and that's going to be out ... unless it goes for six ... yes, it's a six". What's wrong with "has he managed to clear the fielder? ... yes".

Adelaide

07 July, 2017 22:26
It did sound a bit like a football commentator moonlighting at the cricket.

When is Kevin Hand back from Disneyland?

Geoffers (IP Logged)
08 July, 2017 00:17
Quote:
adelaide
Presumably the match report will be titled "Middlesex fail to avoid tie break".
The Higgins innings was the sort of thing that is more often inflicted on us when we appear to be well set to win. I didn't really see much chance once TRJ was out so it is a point gained, though the last ball dismissal makes it seem more like a point lost.

I didn't bother with the commentary for the Middlesex innings. No problem with them being a bit biased (as they cheerfully admitted) but some basic competence in recognising Middlesex players would have been nice, as would avoiding saying (repeatedly) something like "and that's going to be out ... unless it goes for six ... yes, it's a six". What's wrong with "has he managed to clear the fielder? ... yes".

Adelaide

You are lucky you don't have to listen to Bob Hunt on a regular basis, like we Glos supporters. Every commentator has their own style, but my main problem with Bob is that he forgets to describe the action. "That's a great shot, four more," is meaningless to listeners. You often wonder if he struggles to pick up the flight of the ball, when he comes out with his usual "And that's going to be 6 or out or neither!" He never seems to know the laws, or even the score.

I thought he was particularly biased today. I mean, you expect some local bias, but he was completely OTT, and I don't think he would have done it if Kev had been there.

He does do football commentary, btw, perhaps that feeds through to his cricket coverage.

Anyway, good match today, you very nearly pulled it off!

08 July, 2017 06:19
Biased or unbiased commentary I guess we should just be glad that the games are covered by the "free" media outlets.

Some of the "Local" comms are excellent,others not so good and others so downright up their own counties backsides they might as well be employed by them.

Sounds to me like TMS have an ideal replacement for the incompetent Blowers in this guy though.

08 July, 2017 08:26
After criticising 'The Don Topley' show at Essex, I wanted to lay off the commentators for a while. He must have known he was also broadcasting to Radio London, and therefore probably more than 50% of his listeners were Middlesex supporters.

It got off to a bad start when he went through the side Gloucestershire had selected, but didn't at any stage go through the Middlesex line up. Without Cricinfo, the chances are the first time anyone would have known George Scott was in the side was when he came in to bat, by which time the game was well over halfway through.

08 July, 2017 08:28
By the way, the result is an 'Alice' if it is a tie.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

adelaide (IP Logged)
08 July, 2017 12:40
Quote:
Fozzie
68 off 28 balls for Higgo, with 6 sixes and 4 fours (nice and symmetrical).
Great effort by him and Nathan.

51 off his last 17 by my calculations!

Adelaide

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net