cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mexicans T20 at home
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:17
This Thursday,our first home game in this year's bash takes place.
Full house probably expected,although live on sky.
Strong squad should be on offer,and interesting to see what goes on crowd wise!
Has there been any announcements as yet from either camp?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2017 00:32 by BarmierKev.

Re: Mexicans T20 at home
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 13:56
No team news yet.

Match live on Sky.

I know it is begining to sound like I complain about every single commentator, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Flintoff will give this match a miss.

12 July, 2017 17:05
14 man squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

McCullum (c), Barber, Finn, Franklin, Helm, Higgins, Malan, Morgan, Patel, Scott, Simpson (wk) Southee, Sowter, Stirling.

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:34
Spin to win. Vettori was a spinner surely!!

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:36
Dial M would be a good Sky commentator when he retires his boots to Jimmy Harris

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:38
Donald J Trumps Mexico wall is what Lambeth need coming to The Home of Cricket

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:53
I imagine that Steven Finn will replace Toby Roland-Jones from the Middlesex XI which played v Gloucestershire at Cheltenham due to TRJ being in the England Test squad. We will have to see whether James Franklin will come straight into the side after recovering from injury. This will be our first of three matches in four days (a pattern we will be repeating next week, and almost repeating the week after when we play on Thursday and Friday), so maybe there will be a couple of team changes across those matches.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Daniel Vettori and Brendon McCullum feel that we will need to perform better than we did at Cheltenham if we are to make an impact in this competition, especially considering Surrey are likely to pose a greater challenge than Gloucestershire.

Surrey have not announced their squad yet, but it seems that they will be without Kevin Pietersen and Kumar Sangakkara (which I doubt MCC will be too happy about), while Gareth Batty has missed both of their matches so far. They have so far scraped past Essex by 2 runs and Somerset by 4 runs. The victory margin v Somerset would have 16 runs, and I wouldn’t have had cause to use the word ‘scraped’, had the bowlers used by stand-in captain Jade Dernbach bowled their overs in time to avoid conceding 12 penalty runs.

This is highly likely to be the first Middlesex match this season for which the Warner stand will be opened.

Due to the nature of the match, it wouldn’t surprise me if Andrew Flintoff is one of the commentators, not that I will see any of Sky’s coverage unless Lower Mound decides he wants to watch the re-run. I don’t know whether any of Sky’s ‘A list’ commentators will work on the match, as the second Test begins at Trent Bridge the following morning.

rod/ed (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 20:39
If, as JW predicts Finn replaces TRJ then Barber,Franklin and Patel miss out. So I wonder how this team would perform?

Robson
Gubbins
Eskinazi (wk)
Holden
Franklin (c)
Fuller
Harris
Rayner
Podmore
Barber
Patel

Two spinners and five seamers is a good balance and if the tail too long then there are a couple of batsmen that could replace a seamer.
If Max still at N'hants then Voges or Andersson could play, and internationalists Murtagh & Compton could provide dugout wisdom.
Given the hit and miss nature of T20 this team may well win some games and the £££ spent on Vettori,McCullum & Southee could have been invested elsewhere.
But I'm told we must improve our "white ball cricket".However look at joy the CC success brought, and once won, that should have been the time to strengthen that team.

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 13:07
How long before the 615pm start can Middlesex members gain entry to Lord's this evening?

SC2

Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 13:26
Gates open 4.45pm

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 13:38
Surrey have named a 15-man squad for this match consisting of Gareth Batty (captain), Scott Borthwick, Rory Burns, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Jade Dernbach, Aaron Finch, Ben Foakes, Stuart Meaker, Ollie Pope, Ravi Rampaul, Jason Roy, Kumar Sangakkara, Dominic Sibley and Mark Stoneman. I imagine that Batty will captain the side if he is fit and considered to be in their best XI, and that the neutrals will be glad that Sangakkara will be available.

As also happened last year, a video has been posted of Middlesex’s players trying to hit the ball over the Lord’s Pavilion:

snicko (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 19:20
Utter rubbish from Mr Franklin - deary me !

Karseng (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 21:09
Now we know why Vettori's side finished where they did. Messing about with the batting order southee out twice now first ball and batting simmo at 8 ridiculous. the big guns not firing either. Lucky win!!!

13 July, 2017 21:09
Finntastic

13 July, 2017 21:13
Hawkeye confirmed correct decision to Finn, going down leg side and missing.

Anyone else notice Surrey have dispensed with the aggressive, over the top celebrations when they take a wicket?

Maybe Rabada getting a one match test ban concentrated their minds.

snicko (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 21:31
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Hawkeye confirmed correct decision to Finn, going down leg side and missing.
Anyone else notice Surrey have dispensed with the aggressive, over the top celebrations when they take a wicket?

Maybe Rabada getting a one match test ban concentrated their minds.

Did you not see the send off given to Higgo by Dirtbag's love child ?

Fozzie (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 21:45
A joyous conclusion, but so nearly threw it away. Whyever was Southee promoted above Higgo and Simmo?

Very nice in the new Warner Stand, though.

13 July, 2017 21:50
Snico- I must have missed that.

Karseng- I know what you mean. Southee at 6 might have been worth trying if we were in trouble and needed to promote someone to have a go, but at that stage all we needed was Simmo to bat normally (no undue risks needed) and we were home and dry.

McCullum's post match interview worried me a bit. It seems he is more interested in entertaining the masses than making sure we win a game of cricket.

That's show business (and possibly what happens when key personnel like the T20 manager and captain are just 'passing through' rather than long term Middlesesx stalwarts).

13 July, 2017 21:57
One other thought. Clearly Vettori and McCullum know what Southee is capable of. But we all know what Simmo is capable of (but possibly they don't)

It worried me, because it did feel a bit like giving their mate a shot at glory, rather than putting the needs of the team first.

From the position we were in, we could only have lost it if we did something stupid- so, Why do something stupid?

Got away with it- just.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2017 22:00 by chunkyinargyll.

Karseng (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 22:10
Couldn't agree with you more chunky. I thought in his interview he came across as if he was here for a joyride. Not exactly done anything yet himself. Perhaps that's what you get like you say when players we sign are just passing through.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net