cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Somerset at Uxbridge on Sunday
BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 15:01
Folks,living just outside Uxbridge,I have just found out that on Sunday,from 1000hrs to 1830hrs,there is the annual Uxbridge Auto Show being held in the fields just up from the cricket ground.
Could cause few travel problems when leaving...just a little advance warning

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/07/2017 11:00 by BarmierKev.

Re: Somerset at Uxbridge on Sunday
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 18:55
There will be no Metropolitan line service from Wembley Park to Aldgate on Sunday, and it seems that trains from Wembley Park towards Uxbridge and vice versa will depart every 10-12 minutes. I often feel that those travelling to Uxbridge by public transport from the other side of London are better off going from Marylebone to West Ruislip or from Paddington to West Drayton and getting a bus.

We will have to see whether the conditions will cause Middlesex to give an opportunity to a player who didn't play v Surrey at Lord’s or v Hampshire at the Rose Bowl.

I imagine that the match will generate a great crowd, so hopefully I will get a satisfactory seat.

For some reason, it seems to be a tradition that Middlesex play at Uxbridge the same day as the Wimbledon men’s singles final and the British Grand Prix.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 19:31
but the luvly jubly line does appear to be operating normally, so anyone wanting to go via Baker Street/Finchley Road should be okay. Just add a little extra time.

14 July, 2017 22:00
607 from the Bush to ABU will dome just fine thanks folks.

It's the waking up in Shepard's Bush after the game that troubles me.

Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 23:45
Even though Somerset have been playing like they are half asleep in their first two matches, the night before your match they will be playing a flood-lit match against Glamorgan so they will be half asleep, who knows they may play better like that.

I hope it is a good game to watch for you.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 08:44
A few of us will be meeting at Queens Head Uxbridge at high noon for refreshments and beverages. All welcome to join in post match frivolity

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

15 July, 2017 22:19
Middlesex have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Brendon McCullum (captain), Steven Finn, James Franklin, Tom Helm, Ryan Higgins, Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan, Ravi Patel, Toby Roland-Jones, Paul Stirling, Tim Southee, Nathan Sowter and John Simpson (wicket-keeper).

Despite our heavy defeat v Hampshire at the Rose Bowl last night, we seem keen to field a settled line-up rather than select some players who are yet to feature in our Twenty20 campaign, as everyone who played last night plus Finn and Patel are included, yet the likes of Tom Barber, Stevie Eskinazi and George Scott are not included.

I think the main reason why we delayed the naming of the squad until past 10:00pm was so the announcement could mention the fact Somerset’s match v Glamorgan at Sophia Gardens was rained-off, meaning the Somerset will arrive at Uxbridge hoping that tomorrow will bring their first win of their campaign.

I imagine that the match at Sophia Gardens (as well as last Saturday's Warwickshire v Nottinghamshire match) would have taken place at a more sensible time if it wasn't for Sky's desire to cover the match. However, in households such as mine, I don't know if there is much desire to watch Sky's coverage of a day of a Test match followed by their coverage of a Twenty20 match. Or to be more precise, I imagine there will be many households where non-cricket fans will object to the TV having cricket on all day.

16 July, 2017 06:51
According to our friends on Grockles, Somerset have now gone ten T20 games without a win (we've been there, done that ourselves)

Law of averages suggests their luck has to change sometime.

16 July, 2017 07:08
Somerset spent yesterday evening with their bats in their kit bags the game being called off for weather (after a late start to it too) with Glamorgan only 17 overs in to their innings. This was more than enough time for Rudolph to smash their bowlers all round the park including an outrageous reverse swept six.

They will probably travel up this morning to West London.Let's hope our top order can reproduce some of the fireworks of last nights uncompleted innings in Cardiff.

West weather update : a bit grey at the moment but the sun is trying to break through.

16 July, 2017 09:14
Somerset have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Jim Allenby (c), Steve Davies (wk), James Hildreth, Peter Trego, Adam Hose, Tom Banton, Roelof van der Merwe, Lewis Gregory, Craig Overton, Josh Davey, Tim Groenewald, Max Waller and Michael Leask.

They will be without Corey Anderson, which I think leaves them without an overseas player and is a big blow considering he signed specifically for their Twenty20 campaign, while they will be without Johann Myburgh and Jamie Overton too.

Surbiton crusader2 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:12
Regarding the Uxbridge Auto show... This afternoon's match could have been so easily played at Lord's generating at least a five times bigger crowd. Surrey play all their blast matches at the Oval it's little wonder they're the richest county on the circuit.

I'd be interested to know what type of crowds Eton versus Harrow and the varsity match (assuming its still played)generate these days

SC2

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:34
Some ABU called Mitchell Marks chirped up on Twitter.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 11:44
Quote:
Surbiton crusader2
Regarding the Uxbridge Auto show... This afternoon's match could have been so easily played at Lord's generating at least a five times bigger crowd. Surrey play all their blast matches at the Oval it's little wonder they're the richest county on the circuit.
I'd be interested to know what type of crowds Eton versus Harrow and the varsity match (assuming its still played)generate these days

SC2

That's as maybe. Scheduling on the New Agreement says 4 T20's at Lord's, three elsewhere. We are Middlesex CCC and we need to spread interest around as we are third choice at Lord's anyway, not to mention the use of floodlights for evening matches are restricted.

There is no comparison with Surrey financially. They keep all of the moneys generated at the Oval. We don't.

Even if we played all of the games at Lord's, our cut for 2017, is 552,000 and not a penny more.

So, if as you suggest, we switch this game there. The only collectors are MCC. Eton v Harrow is also sacrosanct.

At Uxbridge and Richmond we do retain the gate and car park monies. A few grand maybe, but still more than your suggestion.

MCC decided that they did'nt think, Somerset, Kent or Glamorgan were worth opening the gates for. On the old arrangement they charged us 100 grand a game so to do.

16 July, 2017 13:46
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Some ABU called Mitchell Marks chirped up on Twitter.

New signings please.

16 July, 2017 16:31
If it wasn't for the fact that McCullum is McCullum he would be in danger of being dropped for the next match.

7, 9, 10 & 10 so far.

16 July, 2017 17:55
New coach

New captain

Result-

Same same.

16 July, 2017 19:54
I am not sure what to put my finger on in regards to what went wrong for Middlesex today. I believed that we would be capable of achieving a target of 208 considering batting conditions didn’t look difficult, but the target proved beyond our reach. After we lost our second wicket after 2.1 overs, we didn’t score quickly enough to keep the rate required under control, and it kept on creeping up to unrealistic levels. I don’t know if that slow-scoring was due to an intention to keep wickets in hand or if it was due to it being difficult to score runs.

Had we batted first and finished on 186-7, I imagine that our followers would have felt happy with our batting performance, although obviously it wasn’t at the level required for having to achieve 208. Then again, I don’t know if we would have defended our score, as I can think of many occasions when I have felt happy with our score, only for our opponents to overhaul it comfortably.

Maybe the fact Somerset batted first enabled them to work out how best to bowl on the pitch. Somerset made more use than we did of bowlers who were able to bowl economically. A look at our bowling card will surely lead to suggestions that Ryan Higgins and Dawid Malan should have bowled more overs, but by the time their spells ended, there were sufficiently few overs remaining for us to complete the innings needing overs from only Tim Southee and Toby Roland-Jones.

It was a bittersweet day for Nathan Sowter, as he conceded 43 runs, but his memory bank will always have a spectacular catch off his own bowling in which he ran back around 30 yards and dived forwards, while he will also remember a first-ever Twenty20 three-for.

I am reluctant to express my disappointment about Brendon McCullum’s scores so far, as I fear he may read MTWD and take offence.

Our campaign isn’t going as well as we would like it to be, although the competition is embryonic enough for it to be possible that a win could enable a team to shoot up the table. Still, we could do with recording two wins in our next set of three to keep up confidence levels.

16 July, 2017 20:19
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky

I am reluctant to express my disappointment about Brendon McCullum’s scores so far, as I fear he may read MTWD and take offence.

Jonathan- If anything I've said spurs Brendon McCullum to think 'I'll show that @#$%& Chunky' I'm sure we'd all be delighted.

(Sm106)

16 July, 2017 20:27
JW,we never got going with the bat the Fab 4 looked more like the Nolan Sisters than the Beatles (way less hits) and we were stuffed about half way through our innings.

As for the social side of it,ferkkin brilliant,decent view even after arriving just before play having drunk the Queens Head out of bitter and cider.Beer prices pegged to £3.80 a pint rather than the usual rip off Uxbridge prices,our thanks to who ever sorted his are eternal,don't mind paying over the odds for ale in a ground but do resent being ripped off.

Superb company and Hackney Shires bread and cheese to sustain us throughout our rather poor attempt to beat Somerset's score which provided them with their first away win since June 2015 in T20 (also at Uxbridge) was much appreciated.

We are rubbish at T20 Stat,new coach,new skipper and any other amount of changes will do little to change this we just need to buck our ideas up and play the game.

Just how much is B Mac on per run this season so far?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2017 20:31 by The Diamond ruled ok.

16 July, 2017 20:58

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net