cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

'Abuse'
Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 20:25
I don't want to sound like a complete killjoy, but am I alone in being increasingly irritated by the commentators on Sky chuckling about the 'abuse' fielders are receiving? It may be a poor choice of words on their part, but this evening there have been various references to how the fielder on the boundary is getting sacks full of abuse and how they are obviously enjoying it.

Today I have read yet another report about the increase in inappropriate behaviour in local league cricket (in Sussex) and the loss of umpires due to the unpleasant atmosphere on the pitch. Apparently, there is loads of abuse on social media too. I have played loads of cricket and there has always been the odd outburst, but mostly banter, intended to be humorous. 'Abuse' has been exceedingly rare, thank goodness.

At the same time, a Yorkshire fielder in the televised game has just had to chase a ball to the boundary through a mass of caps and flags thrown on to the outfield. This could be career threatening if he slipped and injured himself. I know that if this was happening at football, it would be considered outrageous, there would be a great fuss and stewards would take action.

I think this is a slippery slope; do we really want the game to be spoilt by this sort of stuff? Cricket is a great game and should be passionate and competitive, but let's get a grip on unacceptable stuff before it drives decent spectators away.

Rant over

Re: 'Abuse'
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 20:31
I have a feeling Roses matches may be taken more seriously than Middlesex/Surrey encounters.

I'm listening to Middle online, with Sky as vision.

Is it cheeky, friendly 'abuse' or idiots who really mean it?

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 22:20
Tricky one....Abuse or good natured banter?
I don't know how the sky commentators can tell if its abuse from where they are sitting/standing.
The game tonight,the Yorkshire fielder looked to be having banter (maybe) with the crowds as he was walking back.
There are enough cameras to pick up anything serious,sadly,Sky did focus into one person in particular,whose actions should of had him removed from the ground.But,not everything in grounds can be picked up,unless those who hear it go to a steward and complain.
To see this has gone into the local leagues I alarming,but,is it from watching cricket,football,or anything else? The internet has a lot to answer for these days.

I can go on,but this is a cricket site and not for other things 'off topic' to be put on!

15 July, 2017 06:41
T20 , local derby, tanked up supporters, Friday night , hot day , full house and a few hundred years of "history" between the two Counties. Not to mention the fact it was live on Sky TV thus giving it an immediate audience of about 8 million and worldwide highlights plus internet coverage.

Of course it was going to kick off between the crowd and the players on the boundary,good natured banter with players is part of the game but when it turns to abusive behavior either verbally or throwing things onto the field of play it should be dealt with swiftly whether the TV is covering the game or not.

At local level ie Sussex league, directives have been sent down from on high (MCC) for years over this matter and should be administered by the local boards to deal with the problem. The fact that local umpires are giving up the game means that their for some will be no game if it carries on in an abusive manner.

Respect the officials , works in Rugby , is being highlighted in association football and it seems needs to be pushed harder in cricket.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 15:44
If as bad as stated. Would have thought players would pack it in as well as umpires.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net