cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Middx v Warks proper cricket
BarmierKev (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 15:07
After a considerable break we return to proper cricket Sunday. I can't wait. It seems an age since we achieved that tight win at Edgbaston. We will be depleted due to injuries and test call ups . However, I still expect a strong side against the weakest team in the league. To me this is a must win game. Enjoy.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 09:24 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middx v Warks proper cricket
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 15:18
We need to confiscate all the young players mobile phones, tag them, and send them to a safe house for the next week, until the danger is over.

Ashley Giles is coming to town, and he's brought his cheque book with him.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 17:59
Although Middlesex will definitely be without Dawid Malan and Toby Roland-Jones and are unlikely to have Paul Stirling available (I think he is a couple of weeks from fitness), at least Steven Finn will surely be allowed to play, and we will have Adam Voges back after he was injured in our fourth County Championship match of the season.

All of Voges’ appearances resulted in draws, yet the matches he missed resulted in a sequence of loss, win, loss and win, which I suppose is better than having recorded four more draws in those matches. He wasn’t initially due to play in this match, but his injury caused his mid-season return to Australia to be brought forward.

I imagine the big questions ahead of this match will be:

Will one or both of James Franklin and Ryan Higgins play?
If Franklin doesn’t play, then who would captain the side?
If Sam Robson, Nick Gubbins, Stevie Eskinazi, and Nick Compton all play, where would they bat?
Will we consider bringing in Ravi Patel alongside Ollie Rayner? (Sm159)
Will Eoin Morgan be in contention to play?

Robbo has spoken to City AM, while Compo has spoken to the Hampstead & Highgate Express. Compo seems to believe we can still retain our title. However, I fear that making up a deficit of 44 points on Essex with six matches to go will be too big an ask. Still, we are very much in contention of finishing between 2nd and 4th and thus receiving prize money, as we are within 15 points of 2nd. It would go down as a fairly successful three seasons at the club if we recorded successive finishes of 2nd, 1st and 2nd. However, failure to win this match would probably result in speculation we could be relegated.

It is difficult to anticipate what line-up Warwickshire will select due to the unusual amount of mid-season changes there, with Somerset’s Adam Hose and Surrey’s Dominic Sibley signing and Rikki Clarke returning to Surrey. Chris Woakes is expected to play to prove his fitness ahead of England’s Test series v West Indies.

I think the pitch for this match will be on Grand stand side.

The forecast for this match looks good.

It is brilliant that this match will begin on a Sunday rather than on a weekday.

04 August, 2017 18:05
My guess- Robson, Gubbins, Compton, Voges, Eskinazi, Simpson, Franklin, Rayner, Helm, Murtagh, Finn.

We need to keep Ryan Higgins as far away from Ashley Giles as possible.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 06:55
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
We need to confiscate all the young players mobile phones, tag them, and send them to a safe house for the next week, until the danger is over.
Ashley Giles is coming to town, and he's brought his cheque book with him.

Well, Max Holden won't be around - Northants have announced he will be staying on loan for the rest of the season. Plenty of their supporters would be very keen to see him sign permanently, it would appear.

05 August, 2017 09:05
Got a good deal with Rossington they did, might have to come up with a much better offer for the England U19 skip and a potential Test star though.

If I see Giles at Ealing v the Bush today I'll post, plenty of young Middlesex talent on display there today .

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 09:15
Giles a well known sniffer.

hatfieldscarlet (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 09:18
If the pitch is on the Grandstand side, does that mean the shiny Warner stand is open to members? Asked more in hope than expectation..

dnb (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 10:29
Yes according to the Lords website the Warner Stand will be open.

05 August, 2017 11:57
Quote:
Seaxe_Man
Giles a well known sniffer.

I thought that was Dermot Reeve.

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 13:59
Holden Higgins signed contracts not available for sale.rent only. I can't see Franklin getting in the team in no form.Tom Barber looks good

05 August, 2017 14:32
Squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Mention is made of Stirling and Rayner unavailable through injury. Sowter preferred over Patel.

Franklin (c) Compton, Eskinazi, Finn, Gubbins, Harris, Helm, Higgins, Murtagh, Podmore, Robson, Simpson (wk) sowter, Voges.

tallliman (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 17:38
Sowter, Podmore and Higgins to miss out? It'd be surprising for Franklin not to play if he's in the squad.

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 17:48
Well Sowter has to play if Rayner injured,and good luck to him he is a good young leggie. Without wishing to be rude why is Franklin in squad as captain given his paltry form

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 18:03
It is a big surprise that Nathan Sowter is set to play in this match and thus make his first-class debut. I didn’t realise that Ollie Rayner had an injury. Sowter seems to have overtaken Ravi Patel in the pecking order at Middlesex in all formats, so that is very sad for Patel and his supporters, although it is something for which Sowter must be congratulated. The presence of Daniel Vettori at the club was always likely to aid the development of one of our spinners, and it seems that spinner has been Sowter. Apart from Sowter, the only other spin option in our squad is Adam Voges.

The absences of Rayner and Toby Roland-Jones could result in a weaker tail.

If I tried to hide the fact I would prefer Ryan Higgins to play instead of James Franklin, then I would find that difficult.

About the only good news in our squad announcement is that England’s management have allowed Steven Finn to play rather than wrap him up in cotton wool.

Warwickshire have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Ian Bell (Captain), Tim Ambrose (Wicket-Keeper), Keith Barker, Sam Hain, Matthew Lamb, Jeetan Patel, Boyd Rankin, Dominic Sibley, Ryan Sidebottom, Sunny Singh, Jonathan Trott, Andy Umeed, Chris Woakes and Chris Wright.

05 August, 2017 18:57
We could end up with a fairly lengthy tail of Sowter, Helm, Murtagh and Finn.

Nathan Sowter did make a hundred for the two's a few weeks back, so I suspect his better batting (potentially) and fielding gives him the edge over Ravi Patel.

I'm betting the wheelie bin's targets are James Harris, Ryan Higgins, Ravi Patel, and Harry Podmore (in that order) I've had a bet with myself something will be announced week beginning 21st August, as both firsts and seconds have that week off.

snicko (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 20:51
How the hell is Franklin playing, let alone captaining our team. The bloke isn't fit, is living off past glories and is stopping our club from moving forward. Time to retire with some dignity before losing all credibility.

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 20:53
I am surprised Ollie injured too, vital part of our team. If Sowter is rated above Patel then I leave that to the sage selectors. I prefer 3 seamers 2 spinners and an all rounder in Higgins. I think it is safe to say that James Harris is also vital to Middlesex, as the old boy Dial M can't go on forever,much like James Anderson or Stuart Broad. We have much depth in strength due to years or developing cricketers, the only way, and the best way without doubt. Holden Helm Barber Gubbins Higgins Robson Eskinazi Anderson and many more current or future players. One of the main reasons Middlesex CCC are The Champion County.

snicko (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 21:15
James Harris is fullly entitled to question his treatment since his remarkable 2015 season when he claimed 69 Division 1 wickets. No other Middlesex bowler has achieved those stats in recent years and he seems to have been ostracised after playing on the dead tracks of early 2016 when it was impossible for any side to take 20 wickets to win a game.
Vultures will be hovering, and not only Giles will have kept keen eyes on developments.
I hope our hierarchy realise what the long term damage could be - especially with Murts and Franklin's imminent retirements and TRJ looking at a central contract.

Shots1992 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 21:20
D'accord snicko! Spin to win back end of season, I tell thee

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net