cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

OVERSEAS/KOLPAK 2018
09 August, 2017 21:48
If adam voges does not come back next season as our overseas player who would you like to see at middlesex next season. My choice would be if available Colin Ingram of Glamorgan who plays in all formats of the game as a kolpak.This would give us the option to brIng in an overseas batsman or bowler which ever the management think is the most needed.

Re: OVERSEAS/KOLPAK 2018
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 23:46
Middlesex’s overseas player tends to be a batsman, so I would have thought that would continue in 2018. At the moment, we have a surplus of fast and spin bowlers, so that reinforces the likelihood of our overseas player being a batsman, although it seems certain that some bowlers will leave this winter, meaning that we could seek to replace them with an overseas or Kolpak player.

I think that our management would prefer to sign an overseas player for the whole season rather than having players come and go (which is how many other counties fill this slot), but the amount of international cricket which takes place during the English season makes it difficult to find someone like Chris Rogers.

It would be nice if Adam Voges returns for 2018 to give him an opportunity to finally play a full season for us without being injured or called-up by Australia, but the fact he has retired from Australian domestic cricket and seems to keep on picking up injuries makes it doubtful he will be back next season.

Virat Kohli has said he would like to play county cricket next season as preparation for India’s tour later that year, so Middlesex may be in the market for him. Additionally, maybe he will recommend that some of his team-mates play county cricket too, in which case there may be a few India players available. However, I can’t see any India players coming over until the IPL is concluded!

If other counties make Kolpak signings, we may have to follow suit to keep up. We failed to strengthen our County Championship side last winter, and are thus facing accusations of having been complacent, so maybe we will pull out all the stops to boost our squad this winter.

snicko (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 05:53
Colin Ingran not available - recently signed a 2 year extension with Glamorgan for white ball cricket only as he will be chasing the money at various T20 franchises around the world for the remainder of the year. Don't think he's much of a red ball batsman. Unlikely to get a proven overseas/kolkka unless it's someone akin to Voges/Franklin who at the end of their careers fancy a couple of years in Lomdon and they don't really cut the mustard with the white ball.
Pujara would be my choice for red ball if available (not bothered about white ball).

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 08:32
Here's a novel idea- How about not having one?

If we keep Voges (or replace with someone similar) that will be another year Max Holden doesn't get in the first X! (plus increases chances for Ryan Higgins).

At the end of 2018 it is highly likely Nick Compton, James Franklin, and Tim Murtagh will all be gone for good (and Paul Stirling the year after, as in 2020 he will become 'overseas' if he plays tests for Ireland)

I wouldn't want to lose Amanda to another county (we will need him from 2019 onwards with Compton and Franklin gone) so, personally, I'd sooner go without.

Players want to play, so it's never a good idea to overload the squad with too many people who expect to play every match. All that happens is whoever misses out ends up wanting to leave anyway, plus it blocks the way for any youngsters who might emerge from the 2's.

snicko (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 09:22
I agree with you Chunky - however, I would add that I don't believe we will win the Championship in 2018 with our current team and a transitional season (be it surviving in Div1 or getting promotion from Div2) will strengthen us moving forward over the next 2/3/4 seasons. The emergence of Higgins, Holden and Helm countered by the retirements of Murtagh, Franklin, Compton will need managing and we need a spin threat also. Harris is an important player for us moving forward but we need to make sure he doesn't get lured away.

10 August, 2017 12:59
Compton may not carry on after this season. Franklin almost certainly won't. I expect Murtagh to stay at least one more season. We appear blessed with sufficient fast bowlers, but none of our spinners set the world on fire.

A batsman who can bowl spin would seem to be ideal, to slot in at no.5 after Gubbins, Robson, Eskinazi, Malan, but where does this leave Holden if the top four are not wanted by England.

This assumes that Higgins can develop into the no. 7 we have lacked since Berg and Dexter (and please don't get me started on the folly of releasing them).

10 August, 2017 13:53
Big mistake releasing gareth berg not so sure about neil dexter seems to have gone backwards.

10 August, 2017 14:08
Neil Dexter has missed most of this year with Leicestershire because of (unspecified) 'personal reasons' (so not injury related), That couldn't be reasonably anticipated. That was given as the reason for his absence in a cricinfo match report about a month a go, so perfectly true to say he would have missed just as much of 2017 if he had remained with us.

11 August, 2017 00:10
Would be nice to unearth another Vincent Van Der Bijl who remains I think our best ever overseas player.
What about Jacques Kallis replacing Vettori as T20 coach

adelaide (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 00:15
I think I agree with Chunky. We were missing an overseas player for several matches last season. Would Eski have got in otherwise? But if a suitable overseas player becomes available, fair enough.

No Kolpaks at all please. They cannot help fulfil one of our aims, which is to produce England-qualified players. Didn't the handbook refer to central contracts being essential to our finances?

11 August, 2017 05:37
Overseas "Stars" ?

Do they really "star"? With very few exceptions and a lot of them rose tinted through my own cricket watching glasses very few of our Galactico's ever actually do anything much for the club whilst at their peak and over a long term.

Same for most clubs though,back when Lancs had Clive Loyd rock up at the start of the season and be around all season (unless the Windies were touring),Notts/Sobers,Hampshire/Marshall to name but three WI players counties knew their overseas was theirs for a whole season barring Test commitments(or injury/illness), now you can't be sure if your overseas/Kolpak is going to accept a contract in some T20 competition thus losing his services for the rest of his contract.

We will never see the likes of Kallis,Daniel,VVDB,Langer grace our field again,all we seem to get are mercenaries after a quick payday. Don't get me wrong back in their day all the lads mentioned above were out to earn as much from a short career as possible but at least they all did it with style and commitment rather than an open suitcase.

Holmegaard (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 12:19
Couple of comments re. the above.

Overseas "stars" have indeed rarely shone for us, certainly at T20/one-day level. So, yes, why bother?

I think Holden's time is now.

I was very sorry to see Berg's departure but he went because of uncertainty over his long-standing injury, so I can understand why. Dexter seldom delivered in my view and has not been missed. Compton has hardly set the world alight in terms of weight of runs, while Franklin's contribution with both bat or ball is negligible.

T20 and the one day stuff don't really interest me, but I do like to see us do ourselves justice, and it's financially important for the club. The management deserve credit for pushing the boat out to try to improve us in this area, but with both results and overall performances poor, where do we go to from here? Hopefully not to another season of highly-paid flops both on and off the field.

Fozzie (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 19:39
Max Holden has had a whole season gaining experience in Div 2, in a move that would seem to have benefited both him and Northants. Surely the next step for him must be to gain experience in Div 1 with Middlesex? Another season on loan in Div 2 would seem to be simply treading water, and I imagine it would make him consider where his future lies.

So it wouldn't worry me if we don't sign an overseas player for next season, and I take the point about the difficulty of finding one who will provide more than a short-term impact. However, it does seem to me that some of the dismissive comments made overlook the significant impact that Chris Rogers had on the club, which surely went behind the runs he contributed.

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 20:46
On Cricinfo, George Dobell confirms what I wrote about a few India players being interested in playing county cricket, although he says it is possible some could play the end of the 2017 season after their tour of Sri Lanka.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:26
If you are going for a Kiwi T20 player. Kent made a better choice with Jimmy Neesham. Played well for them at Richmond and looked interested.

Plus, a lot younger, than two of ours.

13 August, 2017 07:52
Warwickshire (inevitably) plus 'a London club' interested in signing Morne Morkel.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

If he was to abandon South Africa, he really would be a signing worth having (particularly if Finn rumour comes to pass)

Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 13:41
Hmmmm ....if I were Morkel, would I fancy bowling most of my home based overs at Lord's?

It's not as if the ground, Pavillion, history etc is a novelty to him by now.

He's been the pick of the Saffer bowlers this year by far, and,as has been noted, would be a more economical high trajectory bowler then Finny, but I am sure the cash registers of Mexico will be the London place that is beguiling him.

We have finances to manage; not endless money to splurge on the likes of Jimmy Ormonde, Borthwick, and a beneficiary of a very generous Middlesex benefit!!!!!!

13 August, 2017 14:07
Jimmy Ormond?

Sooner have Jimmy Osmond.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 12:27
I will be happy if Paul Stirling becomes our permanent overseas player.

Saves the cost of continually looking for what is becoming increasingly more difficult to achieve. ie selecting an overseas player.

The choices are usually, someone who has retired from international cricket, aged mid thirties with maybe an injury history.

Or a younger buckeroo who will be available only between international or T20 commitments, though that would apply to him as well.

Either option ain't cheap. With Stirlo as o/s regular, ends that annual search.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net