cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Champions of England we know what we are

England series v West Indies
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 17:00
Dawid Malan and Toby Roland-Jones retain their places in 13 man squad.

Chris Woakes, Mason Crane and Mark Stoneman included.

And Keaton Jennings has finally been put out of his (and our) misery, and is omitted.

Re: England series v West Indies
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 19:13
It will be interesting to see which are the 2 players from England’s 13-man squad to not play in the first Test, as it would be harsh on Mason Crane if he is named in the squad yet does not play, while Chris Woakes was established in the side before his injury. Moeen Ali’s recent performances mean that England may feel they don’t need Crane, and in any case, selecting Crane would surely change the balance of the side. However, I think England are keen to give Crane his Test debut before the Ashes. Toby Roland-Jones’ performance in the third Test v South Africa at The Oval means that I am not sure how Woakes would fit back into the side, although it seems inconceivable he won’t play, especially at his home ground of Edgbaston. Maybe James Anderson and/or Stuart Broad will be rested at some point to keep them fit for the Ashes and to free a place for someone else. Hopefully Dawid Malan and TRJ will actually play, as otherwise it would be pointless for them to be unavailable for Middlesex.

The first Test at Edgbaston will be the fifth to be played as a day/nighter and the first to involve England, so there will be lots of curiosity about the on- and off-field impact of this factor, much like there was when nine County Championship matches were recently played as day/nighters.

Unless any of the matches are affected by poor weather, serious injury, security reasons or national mourning, a lot of people would see it as a disappointment if the series does not result in England winning 3-0. However, West Indies’ coach Stuart Law has said that his team should not be underestimated.

West Indies won the first Test they played in England after I started following cricket, which was the opener of the 2000 series. However, the 17 subsequent Test meetings over here have resulted in 14 England wins and 3 draws.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 11:49
With Joel Garner as manager and Stuart Law as coach. Things should get better rather than worse.

Shannon Gabriel as Middlesex can attest to, Worcs September 2015, is a sharp opening bowler. From observation, less effective in his second spell. Job for Joel.

As you say JW, the pink ball, should provide interest and uncertainty in how it performs, particularly in the twilight spell.

Our old friend Jonathan Liew devotes a whole page (8) in today's Telegraph Sport to the pink ball. Many quotes from Stuart and Johnny Bairstow. Both say, depends which team adjusts the quickest.

An adjoining column headlines 'Write off West Indies at your peril' says Joel Garner.

chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:21
Dawid and TRJ both keep their places for the first test-

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 17:55
I am surprised that Dawid Malan retains his place and that Chris Woakes is left out, although the make-up of the squad made it unlikely that someone would play instead of Malan or that any of the fast bowlers selected for England’s final two Tests of their series v South Africa would miss out.

As someone who would like Malan to go well, part of me would like him have a good match at Edgbaston to prove his ability to play at Test level. However, another part of me wouldn’t be totally sad if the match doesn’t quite go to plan for him, and he is thus made available for Middlesex until England begin their limited-overs matches v West Indies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net