cricket
Latest News:

WELCOME TO THE MIDDLESEX ROOM, THE ONLY MESSAGE BOARD ON THE INTERNET DEDICATED TO MIDDLESEX CCC

Winning catch. More of the same at Taunton, please!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
England series v West Indies
chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:00
Dawid Malan and Toby Roland-Jones retain their places in 13 man squad.

Chris Woakes, Mason Crane and Mark Stoneman included.

And Keaton Jennings has finally been put out of his (and our) misery, and is omitted.

Re: England series v West Indies
Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 18:13
It will be interesting to see which are the 2 players from England’s 13-man squad to not play in the first Test, as it would be harsh on Mason Crane if he is named in the squad yet does not play, while Chris Woakes was established in the side before his injury. Moeen Ali’s recent performances mean that England may feel they don’t need Crane, and in any case, selecting Crane would surely change the balance of the side. However, I think England are keen to give Crane his Test debut before the Ashes. Toby Roland-Jones’ performance in the third Test v South Africa at The Oval means that I am not sure how Woakes would fit back into the side, although it seems inconceivable he won’t play, especially at his home ground of Edgbaston. Maybe James Anderson and/or Stuart Broad will be rested at some point to keep them fit for the Ashes and to free a place for someone else. Hopefully Dawid Malan and TRJ will actually play, as otherwise it would be pointless for them to be unavailable for Middlesex.

The first Test at Edgbaston will be the fifth to be played as a day/nighter and the first to involve England, so there will be lots of curiosity about the on- and off-field impact of this factor, much like there was when nine County Championship matches were recently played as day/nighters.

Unless any of the matches are affected by poor weather, serious injury, security reasons or national mourning, a lot of people would see it as a disappointment if the series does not result in England winning 3-0. However, West Indies’ coach Stuart Law has said that his team should not be underestimated.

West Indies won the first Test they played in England after I started following cricket, which was the opener of the 2000 series. However, the 17 subsequent Test meetings over here have resulted in 14 England wins and 3 draws.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 10:49
With Joel Garner as manager and Stuart Law as coach. Things should get better rather than worse.

Shannon Gabriel as Middlesex can attest to, Worcs September 2015, is a sharp opening bowler. From observation, less effective in his second spell. Job for Joel.

As you say JW, the pink ball, should provide interest and uncertainty in how it performs, particularly in the twilight spell.

Our old friend Jonathan Liew devotes a whole page (8) in today's Telegraph Sport to the pink ball. Many quotes from Stuart and Johnny Bairstow. Both say, depends which team adjusts the quickest.

An adjoining column headlines 'Write off West Indies at your peril' says Joel Garner.

16 August, 2017 15:21
Dawid and TRJ both keep their places for the first test-

[www.bbc.co.uk]

16 August, 2017 16:55
I am surprised that Dawid Malan retains his place and that Chris Woakes is left out, although the make-up of the squad made it unlikely that someone would play instead of Malan or that any of the fast bowlers selected for England’s final two Tests of their series v South Africa would miss out.

As someone who would like Malan to go well, part of me would like him have a good match at Edgbaston to prove his ability to play at Test level. However, another part of me wouldn’t be totally sad if the match doesn’t quite go to plan for him, and he is thus made available for Middlesex until England begin their limited-overs matches v West Indies.

18 August, 2017 17:57
Well done to Dawid Malan on scoring 65 to probably cement his place in England's Test side for the time being.

If the rain stays away, England will feel confident about bowling better under the floodlights than West Indies did yesterday.

BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 22:33
Crushing victory,but.....how sad it is to see how the Windies have fallen after the greatest sides of the 70's and 80's.

20 August, 2017 04:59
Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Crushing victory,but.....how sad it is to see how the Windies have fallen after the greatest sides of the 70's and 80's.

Indeed it is Beefy but in so many ways it is payback for the 70's,80's and a good chunk of the 90's where the boot (or flip flop maybe) was well and truly on the other foot with the Windies absolutely smashing England at every opportunity they got.

Those were the days when they had so many great players that the likes of Wayne Daniel only got a handful of Test matches because others were even better than him. The likes of Sobers,Richards,Haynes,Lara graced their batting line up and smeared bowling attacks around the globe for fun.Oh happy days and indeed they were for cricket just not for anyone but the Windies.

Big money T20, poor player contract management,the growing influence of football (and basketball) in the islands to youngsters wishing to earn a living from sport all have their draw and if WI are to rise again at Test level the situation needs addressing quickly.

Their biggest problem seems to be their administrators are dealing with a 21st century problem of player power in a very 19th century way."Our way or the Highway" doesn't work when their way offers a poor contract on not very good money with no image rights when the Highway offers millions of dollars to the likes of Chris Gale for playing about 24 weeks of T20 cricket around the globe.

A real shame and one thing to come out of their poor form will be the introduction of a two division Test League, the fun of which will be Afghanistan and Ireland getting involved,the no fun bit being sorting out an Ashes series when Australia are in the other division to England.

hatfieldscarlet (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 05:59
Quote:
BeefyRoberts

Watching this current West Indies team makes me sad, having grown up seeing Sir Viv, Walsh and Ambrose when I was younger (and seeing footage of the fast bowling legends that went before).

20 August, 2017 06:18
Well done to Dawid Malan for his 65.

The trouble is 65 against Leicestershire 2nd XI gives no clue as to how he, Stoneman and Westley will cope in Australia.

20 August, 2017 08:46
As nice as it is that England won comfortably, it is just a shame they don’t seem likely to learn much from this series. Although West Indies were much talked-down before the series, it still started me when I came home from football last night to see that 17 wickets had fallen while I was out, with their final 2 falling shortly after. At least I saw Toby Roland-Jones take the final wicket.

West Indies have been in decline ever since I began following cricket, and the Twenty20 revolution has made things worse for them.

A positive is that England will enter the Ashes having a day/night Test under their belt.

Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 14:40
Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Well done to Dawid Malan for his 65.
The trouble is 65 against Leicestershire 2nd XI gives no clue as to how he, Stoneman and Westley will cope in Australia.

Correct chunky. However, you have to give alternatives. As far as I can see, no one has got his hand held up very high.

The last five championship matches may alter that perception. At the moment, Ballance is being touted as an alternative at five as is Hales. This makes that position rather crowded.

Ballance would be on his fourth chance. Hales on his second. Most others get one.

No alternatives are offered for three, apart from moving Jennings to that position and retaining Stoneman as opener.

The Australian batting mirrors ours, with two reliable batsmen in Warner and Smith, who on their pitches will be expected to do well.

They have depth in pace with the underrated Nathan Lyon for spin. They can be usually relied upon to catch the edges offered..

26 August, 2017 18:04
It will be interesting to see how England react to the first two days of the Headingley Test going against them. For some reason, the bookmakers still have an England win as odds-on, although that won’t happen unless England show why they were fancied to win the series easily.

An advantage England may have is that West Indies are due to bat last. However, England may not have enough runs to defend (and could potentially lose by an innings) unless they bat better than in their first innings. Hopefully the batsmen with question marks over their heads will prove why they feel they deserve to make the squad for this winter’s Ashes.

Despite the match situation looking favourable for West Indies, the funny thing is that until number 7 Jermaine Blackwood came to the crease, everyone other than century-makers Kraigg Brathwaite and Shai Hope had failed to make it out of single figures.

28 August, 2017 21:13
England appear to have completely turned the match around, with Dawid Malan’s 61 playing an important part. However, we will have to see whether they can bowl West Indies out tomorrow.

29 August, 2017 17:56
This result is a big setback to England’s confidence ahead of the Ashes. They will have to perform much better in the final Test at Lord’s a week on Thursday.

However, Australia’s preparations aren’t going much better, as their current Test v Bangladesh saw them concede a first innings deficit of 43 and be set a target of 265, although they are going well in their pursuit of it.

tbl (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 20:31
Amazing day's cricket and full credit to West Indies for turning it round.

It will be interesting to see the England team for the Lords test. If England had won or drawn this test they might have been tempted to experiment (e.g. play Crane or try Hales at no.3) but I suspect this is less likely now.

BarmierKev (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 09:18
I find the declaration odd. W I always likely to score at 3 an over. I said at time England should have batted to close yesterday to set a challenging run rate which could have easily led to wickets.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Sussex Seaxe (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 13:02
The same squad of 13 named. I suspect Toby will get back in as this is now a series deciding game and Woakes looked slightly off the pace. Good chance for Dawid to cement his place

Fozzie (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 09:19
Extraordinary to discover that Hope was the first batsman ever to score centuries in both innings in any of the 544 first class matches played at Headingley. Boycott must have been spitting blood to acknowledge that!

04 September, 2017 19:06
England have named their squads for their limited-overs matches v West Indies. As ever, Eoin Morgan will captain the side in the one Twenty20 international and five ODIs, although the only other involvement for a Middlesex player is Dawid Malan being selected for the Twenty20 match on Saturday 16th September. Surely this will mean that Malan and Toby Roland-Jones can play in our final two County Championship matches.

An article in the Daily Mail suggests that West Indies would qualify automatically for the 2019 World Cup if they win their one-off ODI v Ireland and win all five ODIs v England. Otherwise, Sri Lanka would qualify, with West Indies having to participate in a qualifying tournament.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net